RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,796
Posts: 5,325,747
Members: 24,548
Currently online: 533
Newest member: wrestlefreak36

TrekToday headlines

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 5 2009, 10:18 PM   #31
Cyke101
Rear Admiral
 
Cyke101's Avatar
 
Re: That's not MY ship...!

ltcmmanderdata wrote: View Post
responding to praetor and miraclefan. i just preferred the way the ship looked on the original show is all. changing the ship in tmp seemed almost like recasting one of the major characters with a different actor. that's all it is.
Oh, think of all the additions the refit has over the TOS version, and just think of it as the same actor but with a few more wrinkles and different hair. Hey, it works for William Shatner
__________________
“You do not use science in order to prove yourself right, you use science in order to become right.”
Cyke101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2009, 10:34 PM   #32
Praetor
Vice Admiral
 
Praetor's Avatar
 
Location: The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
Re: That's not MY ship...!

I don't know, I think that's pretty fair. That's how I felt when they blew up the D and replaced it with the E - only I suppose in that case it was more like a stomach stapling.
__________________
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2009, 11:23 PM   #33
Cyke101
Rear Admiral
 
Cyke101's Avatar
 
Re: That's not MY ship...!

Praetor wrote: View Post
I don't know, I think that's pretty fair. That's how I felt when they blew up the D and replaced it with the E - only I suppose in that case it was more like a stomach stapling.
Hey, if you want to go that far: if we think of the ship as a character (and rightfully so, as we all do) and then personify it, does that mean the Enterprise-D willingly decapitated herself to escape her exploding body?

...am I going just a wee bit too far with this?
__________________
“You do not use science in order to prove yourself right, you use science in order to become right.”
Cyke101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 12:21 AM   #34
miraclefan
Commodore
 
miraclefan's Avatar
 
Location: The F U state of TEXAS!
Re: That's not MY ship...!

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
Praetor wrote: View Post
I don't know, I think that's pretty fair. That's how I felt when they blew up the D and replaced it with the E - only I suppose in that case it was more like a stomach stapling.
Hey, if you want to go that far: if we think of the ship as a character (and rightfully so, as we all do) and then personify it, does that mean the Enterprise-D willingly decapitated herself to escape her exploding body?

...am I going just a wee bit too far with this?
Nope! for one you havent gotten this thread closed!
__________________
THEY WERE THE POLICE...JUDGE...JURY...& EXECUTIONER ALL IN ONE.

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 12:23 AM   #35
Praetor
Vice Admiral
 
Praetor's Avatar
 
Location: The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
Re: That's not MY ship...!

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
Praetor wrote: View Post
I don't know, I think that's pretty fair. That's how I felt when they blew up the D and replaced it with the E - only I suppose in that case it was more like a stomach stapling.
Hey, if you want to go that far: if we think of the ship as a character (and rightfully so, as we all do) and then personify it, does that mean the Enterprise-D willingly decapitated herself to escape her exploding body?

...am I going just a wee bit too far with this?


More like what the producers did to it, but...
__________________
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 12:23 AM   #36
miraclefan
Commodore
 
miraclefan's Avatar
 
Location: The F U state of TEXAS!
Re: That's not MY ship...!

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
ltcmmanderdata wrote: View Post
responding to praetor and miraclefan. i just preferred the way the ship looked on the original show is all. changing the ship in tmp seemed almost like recasting one of the major characters with a different actor. that's all it is.
Oh, think of all the additions the refit has over the TOS version, and just think of it as the same actor but with a few more wrinkles and different hair. Hey, it works for William Shatner
Well lets just be honest, they wanted a ''SEXIER'' ship for the BIG screen!
__________________
THEY WERE THE POLICE...JUDGE...JURY...& EXECUTIONER ALL IN ONE.

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 12:52 AM   #37
Praetor
Vice Admiral
 
Praetor's Avatar
 
Location: The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
Re: That's not MY ship...!

miraclefan wrote: View Post
Cyke101 wrote: View Post
ltcmmanderdata wrote: View Post
responding to praetor and miraclefan. i just preferred the way the ship looked on the original show is all. changing the ship in tmp seemed almost like recasting one of the major characters with a different actor. that's all it is.
Oh, think of all the additions the refit has over the TOS version, and just think of it as the same actor but with a few more wrinkles and different hair. Hey, it works for William Shatner
Well lets just be honest, they wanted a ''SEXIER'' ship for the BIG screen!
*vomits*

__________________
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 12:53 AM   #38
miraclefan
Commodore
 
miraclefan's Avatar
 
Location: The F U state of TEXAS!
Re: That's not MY ship...!

^I know how you feel! (DAMN THOSE ''SUITS'' N MESSING WITH THANGS THEY DO'T UNTERSTAND!)
__________________
THEY WERE THE POLICE...JUDGE...JURY...& EXECUTIONER ALL IN ONE.

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 12:57 AM   #39
Praetor
Vice Admiral
 
Praetor's Avatar
 
Location: The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
Re: That's not MY ship...!

^I knew you'd understand.

I mean, I like the E. The impulse engines pointing into the Bussards thing doesn't even bother me. Sure it's a little over-detailed. But it's the way it was done that bugs me.
__________________
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 01:28 AM   #40
miraclefan
Commodore
 
miraclefan's Avatar
 
Location: The F U state of TEXAS!
Re: That's not MY ship...!

Praetor wrote: View Post
^I knew you'd understand.

I mean, I like the E. The impulse engines pointing into the Bussards thing doesn't even bother me. Sure it's a little over-detailed. But it's the way it was done that bugs me.
It's overdetailed! one of the reason's I'm experamenting with blender is so I can ''correct'' some of more glareing details. Plus I thought the nacelles stuck out a little too long, I would have put them closer to the saucer.
__________________
THEY WERE THE POLICE...JUDGE...JURY...& EXECUTIONER ALL IN ONE.

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 02:50 AM   #41
Karnbeln
Lieutenant Commander
 
Karnbeln's Avatar
 
Re: That's not MY ship...!

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
if we think of the ship as a character (and rightfully so, as we all do) and then personify it, does that mean the Enterprise-D willingly decapitated herself to escape her exploding body?


You just made my night.
Karnbeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 04:10 PM   #42
Cyke101
Rear Admiral
 
Cyke101's Avatar
 
Re: That's not MY ship...!

Karnbeln wrote: View Post
Cyke101 wrote: View Post
if we think of the ship as a character (and rightfully so, as we all do) and then personify it, does that mean the Enterprise-D willingly decapitated herself to escape her exploding body?


You just made my night.
I live to serve
__________________
“You do not use science in order to prove yourself right, you use science in order to become right.”
Cyke101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2009, 07:34 AM   #43
Tom Riley
Commodore
 
Tom Riley's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere... out there...
View Tom Riley's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Tom Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Tom Riley
Re: That's not MY ship...!

Both my parents are trekkies, and my mom goes on and on about how the Enterprise D is her favorite NOW but when it first came out... The main complaint she had? "Where are the red doors???"
Tom Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2009, 07:36 AM   #44
Tom Riley
Commodore
 
Tom Riley's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere... out there...
View Tom Riley's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Tom Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Tom Riley
Re: That's not MY ship...!

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
Hey, if you want to go that far: if we think of the ship as a character (and rightfully so, as we all do) and then personify it, does that mean the Enterprise-D willingly decapitated herself to escape her exploding body?
That is amazing
Tom Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2009, 07:48 AM   #45
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral
 
Herkimer Jitty's Avatar
 
Location: Dayglow, New California Republic
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty
Re: That's not MY ship...!

I guess I do have a bit of an attachment to the Enterprise-D as something more than a ship. I grew up with TNG on syndication in the 90s... I remember going with my dad to see First Contact... one of the few times I remember actually waiting in a line to go to a movie.

I thought the Enterprise-E was cool (at the time anyways) but something bothered me, something I couldn't quite put my finger on. Took me a while to realise it, but I missed the Enterprise-D. The -E could never really replace my Enterprise. It was like watching your childhood home get bulldozed and replaced with a flashy nightclub. I certainly relate to many persons who intensley dislike the NuEnterprise for this very reason.
__________________
"What?" - { Emilia }
Herkimer Jitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
ship, ships

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.