New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 4 2009, 05:52 PM   #1
Dayton3
Admiral

Does "The Doomsday Machine" Remastered Really Add To the Episode?

The Doomsday Machine has been my favorite ST:OS episode for literally decades.

I was curious has the remastering made the episode look.

I've never had a chance to see the remastered episode. Only photo stills. So I was wondering what the opinions are of people who have seen it.
Dayton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 06:47 PM   #2
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Re: Does "The Doomsday Machine" Remastered Really Add To the Episode?

They did some spiffy-looking stuff with it, but I've always thought of The Doomsday Machine as being more of a character-driven episode than an effects-driven one. Especially for William Windom's excellent performance as Commodore Decker, if for no other reason.
Old May 4 2009, 07:07 PM   #3
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well the episode works great either way, but the new FX make the whole thing feel a lot more epic. And the machine itself comes across as a lot more menacing too. Frankly I felt like I was watching a cool little movie.

I do remember some people complaining that the CG for the machine was a bit dodgy, but I didn't have that much of a problem with it.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 07:23 PM   #4
Jeyl
Commodore

I wasn't too impressed on the treatment for the episode.

Remember how the machine had some transparency in the frontal area? I thought that was cool. Unfortunately they disregarded that detail stating "It was an error made by the visual effects department". Huh? What sense does that make? What you call an error, I call an unforeseen side-effect that adds a little something to the machine.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 07:24 PM   #5
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

No, not at all. In fact, it hinders the show by distracting the viewer with a bunch of modern CGI that clashes with everything else on the show and sticks out like a sore thumb.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 07:32 PM   #6
Carpe Occasio
Fleet Captain

EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
No, not at all. In fact, it hinders the show by distracting the viewer with a bunch of modern CGI that clashes with everything else on the show and sticks out like a sore thumb.
I agree. The new effects look like half-assed modern day CGI, especially the new shots of the Enterprise.
Carpe Occasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 08:20 PM   #7
Shatmandu
Vice Admiral

I think the original was great, and I thought the remastered version was great.

Two tasty, but not identical, apples, really.

Joe, red and bulging
Shatmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 08:24 PM   #8
zopman
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Carpe Occasio wrote: View Post
EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
I agree. The new effects look like half-assed modern day CGI, especially the new shots of the Enterprise.
Nah, I think the new effects added to the drama & menace of the episode, especially adding great sequences showing better, more logical positional relationships between the ships & the machine in battle. The only qualm I have is in the one sequence where Kirk & Scotty start up the battered Constellation's engines & are whipped around from wall to wall, then Scotty flips a switch & cut to an exterior shot of the Constellation just sitting there quietly as the impulse engines fire up & send it on its way. They should of at least shown the Constellation moving &/or wavering a little at an odd angle before the impulse engines kick in & right the ship.
zopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 08:28 PM   #9
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

While TOS-R is a mixed bag for me, I prefer the TOS-R version of Doomsday over the original. This is just a case where the new FX were perfect.
QuasarVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 08:37 PM   #10
Timo
Admiral

Seconded. Or, more exactly, I like what was done, but even if the new VFX had merely been mediocre, it would still have been an absolutely crucial improvement.

The original "Doomsday Machine" was completely dependent dramatically on the plausibility of its space combat scenes - even more so than the battle-heavy "Balance of Terror". Unfortunately, the original effects were abysmal; either they represented a bad day for a competent team, or were sign of thorough incompetence. The scenes were completely lacking in depth and the phaser beams were rendered in a childish, coarse manner that significantly distracted from the supposed excitement and menace of the as such interesting space monster.

Now, the new effects also suffer from somewhat silly phaser beams: I absolutely hate the way the beams never focus on anything, but merely drag along the surface of the monster in an inefficient manner, which also happens to be the manner a beam drawn in by a dramatically unconcerned or otherwise lazy VFX artist would do it. But at least the scenes finally have the required depth and 3D motion, restoring credibility to what originally was a smelly brown stain in the TOS record.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 08:42 PM   #11
Vonstadt
Captain

Shatmandu wrote: View Post
I think the original was great, and I thought the remastered version was great.

Two tasty, but not identical, apples, really.

Joe, red and bulging
Sums it up nicely for me

I agree with the earlier poster too it was like watching a mini movie.

I thought it came out just fine.

Vons
Old May 4 2009, 09:22 PM   #12
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

This has been my all time favorite episode for as long as I can remember and I was anxiously awaiting the day it aired.

The sort version of my conclusions: it’s like night and day. An already great episode, which was exciting back then, is even more exciting now.

For those who want more detail, here’s the long version.

While they obviously put a lot of the budget into the episode, the effects work was lacking, either due to “more ambition than money” or just because that was the best they could get done under the time and circumstances. But it’s hard for even the most forgiving Trekkie to just look past the wobbly AMT kit and the total lack of imagination in the new shots of the big Enterprise model. On the other hand, there were a couple of really nice and memorable shots, primarily the view of the Enterprise being slowly drawn into the maw of the machine and the “tween pylon” overhead shots.

99.9% of the episodes don’t need great effects to work. The problem with TDM was that it needed great shots to be more effective. And, for the most part, the new effects are great. Like the changes completely reinvigorated Tomorrow is Yesterday, a good deal of TDM makes sense now. Especially the strafing run of the Enterprise along the top of the planet killer. Amazing! The long pan from the Constellation to the PK is also incredible. A lot of love went into this episode and it is great.

But it’s not perfect. Some decisions were made that seem wrong and against stated dialog in some scenes.

1. The Enterprise towing the Constellation. A no point did Kirk give the order to begin towing the Constellation. The last time we see both ships in the same shot is when McCoy and Decker beam up. Kirk said he “would” take her in tow and that he’ll stay on board “to get her ready.” Yet, by the time McCoy and Decker reach the bridge, they’re already towing it. So when the Enterprise gets hit by the beam, the Constellation goes flying off into another direction… Yet nobody on that ship notices! The engines are down, so they can’t steer or stop.

Now, I can understand why they decided to do this. As originally aired, Spock says they are keeping their distance from the PK. It kind of looks like Spock ran off and left the Constellation to its own devices. But since this was never stated, it’s just as easy to assume that Spock is trying to draw the PK's attention from the Constellation while staying in transporter range. All they had to do was render THAT and it would have been fine.

2. Kirk reacting to the Enterprise attacking the PK. Remember the old version? The viewscreen in Aux control is sputtering on. We see the interference, then Kirk who says “what the devil’s going on?!” Then a shot of the screen – full on. Makes sense, that’s how Kirk saw the events.

Now, however, we get to see Kirk react, say “what the devil’s going on?” and then cut to the screen…which hasn’t tuned in yet. Even when we first see it, the image is JUST coming on. This could have been caught, but wasn’t.

3. “Hard about, gimme some distance!” Granted, this is just a pacing issue, but anyway: the original had a stock shot of the Enterprise dodging to the side right after Decker gives that order. It’s an old shot, but it’s run faster, making it urgent. It was fine.

The new show has the Enterprise sloooowly turning to get away. I don’t mind the new camera angle or anything, I just think the energy of the escape is sucked out into space. It just lies there.

4. I also agree about the phasers. They look much more convincing than the orange cartoons of the 67 version, but the impact looks like a flashlight running along a paper towel roll. Even Sulu says “they just…bounced off” but that’s not indicated in the visuals. Some energy discharge or ricochet would have really worked here.

These are mostly nitpicky sort of things, but the first two really jump out at me as misjudgments. I still love the redone version and it does a tremendous job in making an already exciting episode that much more so.

It's great to have the choice of versions to watch.

Last edited by ssosmcin; May 5 2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Spelling
ssosmcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 10:19 PM   #13
RAMA
Vice Admiral

The remastered version makes a well worn out episode worth watching again. The machine actually seems alive now, and the movement of the ships in relation to each other were worked out on a board to heighten the realism. Ifthe Doomsday machine was a 10 before, its an 11 now! Great stuff!

RAMA
Old May 4 2009, 11:24 PM   #14
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

QuasarVM wrote: View Post
While TOS-R is a mixed bag for me, I prefer the TOS-R version of Doomsday over the original. This is just a case where the new FX were perfect.
QFT - there are episodes where overall, I thought the remastered FX team blew it (The Ultimate Computer for one); but with The Doomsday Machine they hit one oiut of the park. <-- I honestly think they themselves liked the episode so much, they put some unpaid OT into it.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 11:52 PM   #15
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

Noname Given wrote: View Post
QuasarVM wrote: View Post
QFT - there are episodes where overall, I thought the remastered FX team blew it (The Ultimate Computer for one); but with The Doomsday Machine they hit one oiut of the park. <-- I honestly think they themselves liked the episode so much, they put some unpaid OT into it.
Agreed! I think that was an episode they had to get right to establish credibility. UC was another one they needed to knock out of the park -- but sadly didn't...Elaan of Troyius is another one that could have been better.

Their animation of the Klingon cruiser was truly a "WTF?" moment for me...
QuasarVM is offline   Reply With Quote