Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old May 3 2009, 04:42 AM   #1051
Jaespol
Captain

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

Let us all sit back and admire B'Ellana's braid

Jaespol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2009, 04:52 AM   #1052
The Grim Ghost
Fleet Captain

I loved the main story of Real Life. Kind of tells you a little about B'Ellana's view of home life to see how she changed things up doesn't it?
Old May 3 2009, 05:00 AM   #1053
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Real Life was a borefest for me.
Old May 3 2009, 07:01 AM   #1054
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Jaespol wrote: View Post
Let us all sit back and admire B'Ellana's braid

Even Kes finds the braid funny.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2009, 10:09 AM   #1055
Lynx
Rear Admiral

^^
It is funny actually.

However, I'm glad that this was the only episode we did see it in.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2009, 10:47 AM   #1056
NumberSix
Lieutenant

Location: wonderland or neverland, whether i'm with alice or peter

I think best B'Elanna hair was during season six with her curly semi-Klingon style.

I liked Before & After as it explored what may have happened between Tom and Kes if they had been given a chance (I always hated Neelix & Kes together), and I genuinely felt sorry for her when she kept disappearing after finally getting someone to believe her story and help her.

Real Life was funny. I liked the Doctor trying to bring order to B'Elanna's improved version of a "real" family. Like NCC-1701, I too shed a tear during the Doctor's pain, but I agree what ultimately ruined its impact was the Doctor's tricorder scanning. I did want to smack his son over the head for being annoying though...
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2009, 07:29 PM   #1057
Jaespol
Captain

I think Real Life would have been a much better episode if we hadn't had the daughter die on us.

And I liked the hair braid!
Old May 4 2009, 12:58 AM   #1058
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Distant Origin (****)

Dinosaurs in space with big-ass guns? What's not to love?!

I know that some people hate the dinosaur angle of this episode, but that never truly bothered me because 64 million years is an eternity and there wouldn't be any remnants of a dinosaur civilization to find after that much time. The only thing I have a problem with is the idea that these guys have been around for 64 million years and yet their technology is only about a century or two more advanced than the Federation. I know this is meant to be explained away by the idea that their doctrine was holding them back, but holding them back for 64 million years? That's a bit hard to swallow.

And it is ironic that an episode which is obviously an allegory for legal battles between science and religion, and the teaching of evolution in particular, that Brannon Braga would once again show his complete lack of understanding of evolutionary biology. The computer would not be able to determine what a dinosaur would look like after 64 million years, especially when there is absolutely no reference as to what sort of environment it inhabited. This doesn't damage the episode too much because it is only used as a tool to fill the audience in on what is going on, but it still irritates me.

The story is good, and I really enjoyed the final scenes as Gegen is forced to retract his claims for the greater good. Probably my favourite episode so far this season.
Old May 4 2009, 01:09 AM   #1059
apenpaap
Commodore

Distant Origin is one of my favourites. I agree that the Voth were too close to Federation technology level for a 60 million year old civilization, but can anyone really even imagine the technology of a 60 million year old civilization?
Old May 4 2009, 01:14 AM   #1060
Jaespol
Captain

I think the Voth were more advanced than 200 years beyond Federation technology, they were able to beam the whole damned ship! Besides, we never got to see that much.
There were certainly a lot of implausabilities in this episode but overall it was a well directed and well written episode with an interesting concept.

However if they had evolved on our planet it is likely we would have found remnants, we've found dinosaur fossils haven't we?
Old May 4 2009, 01:28 AM   #1061
neogothboy74
Commander

Send a message via AIM to neogothboy74 Send a message via Yahoo to neogothboy74

GodBen wrote: View Post
Distant Origin (****)
I enjoyed this episode a lot too. The dinosaur thing doesn't bother me, the way it does a lot of people. I liked the ideas of it...and the presentation of them as well.

This was the episode where the series started embracing the wonders of CGI (in my mind), which at the time looked far more impressive visually than anything seen thus far. I remember being in awe of the 'dinosaur ship'. From here on out Voyager's effects look AMAZING - blowing Next Gen out of the water. While I often complain about the faults of Voyager, visually Voyager broke away from the pack here and never really looked back. DS9 was doing some incredible work as well (those space battles just can't be beat) but Voyager seemed to really put a lot into it's effects with some really cool results. I'd say this was the saving grace of Voyager, but in time all effects look dated and the only thing that will matter to those future audience members are the stories that were told - which is why I believe that DS9 will continue to find audiences...and that Voyager probably won't, or not to the same degree. Because I think most people looking for a good story probably require that the characters and plot points make sense. Still, the series has it's moments.

I also liked the continuity with Hogan's bones from "Basics" - that Voyager was referencing a previous episode for a plot point seemed like a major step in the right direction to me. And I had liked Hogan in his few brief appearances, so having his death lead to another plot felt almost like closure. Nice.

Actually anytime I saw a crewman more than once on Voyager I was happy.
neogothboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 01:30 AM   #1062
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Jaespol wrote: View Post
However if they had evolved on our planet it is likely we would have found remnants, we've found dinosaur fossils haven't we?
What we have is a tiny percentage of what actually existed, it is like trying to figure out the picture of a 10,000 piece jigsaw puzzle with only 20 heavily damaged pieces. The Tyrannosaurus line of dinosaurs come from the same time period but we only have around 30 specimens over a period of 3 million years, and most of those are incomplete. It is reasonably possible that the humanoid dinosaurs haven't been found because enough of them weren't fossilised.

Praetorian has asked me what the average score of season 1 would have been if The 37s, Projections, Elogium and Twisted had been included as originally intended, so here is some quick calculations that you all might be interested in:

Season 1 with those four episodes included went from an average of 5.867 to 5.474, Projections really helped lessen the impact of the other crap episodes. Season 2 went from 4.692 to 4.818.

However Basics Part 2, Flashback, False Profits and Sacred Ground were originally season 2 episodes that were held back into season 3, so if I add those into season 2 the new score is 4.5, which is even worse than the original score I gave season 2. That season just can't catch a break.
Old May 4 2009, 01:40 AM   #1063
neogothboy74
Commander

Send a message via AIM to neogothboy74 Send a message via Yahoo to neogothboy74

^^^ I'd wondered about the seasonal scores with the episodes rearranged myself. Interesting.
neogothboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 07:06 AM   #1064
Lynx
Rear Admiral

Distant Origin

This is a very good episode. Interesting to see a story from the other side of the spectrum, with aliens trying to prove some theory after encountering humans and also the thing with the authorities denying obvious facts and using opressive methods to win out the debate. Very smart plot and even if the episode is a bit slow in places, it's a well-written and thoughtful episode.

I'll give it 4 points out of 5

However Basics Part 2, Flashback, False Profits and Sacred Ground were originally season 2 episodes that were held back into season 3, so if I add those into season 2 the new score is 4.5, which is even worse than the original score I gave season 2. That season just can't catch a break.

Is that really correct? I've never seen or heard anything about it.

I know that "Projections", "Elogium", "Twisted" and "The 37's" were season 1 episodes which for some reasons were postponed to season 2 in the US. In most European countries they were aired as season 1 episodes and are still regarded as season 1 episodes. Another evidence for that are the stardates for the episodes which are season 1 stardates and Janeway is stating in "The 37's" that "It's 2371 now" which confirms "The 37's" as a season 1 episode.

But I've never seen or heard that "Basics Part 2", "Flashback", "False Profits" and "Sacred Ground" were supposed to be season 2 episodes and the stardates for those episodes are definitely season 3 stardates, OK "Basics" is a cliffhanger with the first part in season 2 and the other in season 3 even if the stardate seem to be for 2373 (Stardate 50037.52 or 14th of January 2373).

Can you mention a source for this because it's interesting news?

Voyager seasons 1-3 Timeline: http://lynx677.110mb.com/timeline.html

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 07:22 AM   #1065
Akiraprise

I'm curious, will I have to start another thread once this one reaches 1,000 posts? I know you have to do that in some other forums on this board, is it the same in the Voyager forum?
Nah, I don't think so. I kind of like cutting game threads/ spammish threads off at 1000. But for legitimate threads with good discussion going on there's no harm anymore in letting them go on. The old board forced us to cut all threads off around 1000 posts. It's no longer an issue, as someone else already said.
Satan Alien: "You're in a dangerous profession Captain. You face death everyday. There will be another time, and I'll be waiting. Eventually you're coming to my matrix and you will nourish me for a long long time."
Janeway: "Go back to Hell. Coward."
Akiraprise is offline   Reply With Quote