New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 36 54.55%
Above Average 21 31.82%
Average 8 12.12%
Below Average 1 1.52%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 1 2009, 10:02 PM   #91
Mr Light
Admiral

Re: Lost 5x14: "The Variable"

Going on Danny Boy's words they will attempt to use the nuke to stop the Incident, not realizing that they will be the ones who cause the Incident by trying to stop it. Irony!

Old May 2 2009, 12:53 AM   #92
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Oh, I understand that. I just think Ferraday is wrong in this case. I don't think it's a feedback loop. His original explanation that all these events already happened makes sense to me (and by all, I'm including them being there).
Well, Farraday apparently changed his mind after much research on the mainland and I'll take his word on it!

Plus, I like to go with the more empowering notion. That information empowers you rather than imprisons you.

Mr Awe
The information doesn't imprison you unless you know what your actions were in the past. If you don't, you do whatever you like. It just happens to be that, in the future, those actions that you did were always done.
And, I just don't buy that more limited view. Knowledge sets you free.

Mr Awe
Old May 2 2009, 01:32 AM   #93
M
Vice Admiral

But maybe the point is that Our Heroes™ don't know how everything will turn out. They might think they do, but all evidence so far suggests that they really don't. For example, it looks like the attempt to stop the Incident from happening will be the very cause for it to happen. Or Sayid, he thought he could change the time with killing Ben in the past, but it seems like he only furthered his bond to the Hostiles.

I agree that all of this would be tedious drama if they (and us) would already know how everything will turn out. But the thing is, we don't know what will happen. As Daniel said, this is the Losties' present. They can die. And I think that makes it all the more entertaining.

But I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
Old May 2 2009, 01:42 AM   #94
Mallet
Fleet Captain

I think from a purely story point of view they won't let them change the past/future. Free will or not, variables or constants, changeable or set in stone, it doesn't matter.

From a story/series point of view being able to change the past in any meaningful way would negate the entire series. It would be just as bad as pulling an "it was all a dream" ending. And I give these show runners a bit more respect then to think they would do that.

So I don't think they will/can prevent the incident, or 815 from crashing, or Return of the Jedi from having Ewoks in it, or Charlotte from dying (or Eko, or Anna-Lucia, Charlie, etc...). To do that would be cheating the audience.
Old May 2 2009, 02:58 AM   #95
Gertch
Admiral

I was looking around for some screen caps from someplace other than lost-media and found a page about an Easter Egg in this episode.

Episode 5x14 - Rabbit Through Glass

Cool!
Old May 2 2009, 03:00 AM   #96
M
Vice Admiral

Gertch wrote: View Post
I was looking around for some screen caps from someplace other than lost-media and found a page about an Easter Egg in this episode.

Episode 5x14 - Rabbit Through Glass
Wow, now that is cool!
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
Old May 2 2009, 01:22 PM   #97
zengoth
Fleet Captain

above average-
if this does turn out to be Daniel's swansong...at least we got a buncha gaps of his life filled it, especially his scenes in both S4 premiere and S5 premiere as well as his chat with l'il Charlotte.

(Musing aside, not a spoiler...Even though there are chats with the show creators about no "reset" plans, that events won't be changed...I wouldn't mind seeing a S6 where we see scenes from that original 108 days again from a reset or changed perspective. But I'm a big time loop fan from way back.)

The only thing that confused me is that, in '77, when big Dan is gunned down, little Daniel had already been born, right? . Charlotte was about 4 or 5, Miles was perhaps younger - i figure piano-playing 8 yr old Dan is already off the island. If so, how can Ellie be in 2 places at once...[must be a quick submarine trip]. Did anyone else get the feeling that the first scene with mom and son happened very soon after the last scene with mom & son?
Old May 2 2009, 01:55 PM   #98
chrisspringob
Commodore

zengoth wrote: View Post
The only thing that confused me is that, in '77, when big Dan is gunned down, little Daniel had already been born, right? . Charlotte was about 4 or 5, Miles was perhaps younger - i figure piano-playing 8 yr old Dan is already off the island. If so, how can Ellie be in 2 places at once...[must be a quick submarine trip]. Did anyone else get the feeling that the first scene with mom and son happened very soon after the last scene with mom & son?
The Others don't even have access to the sub. The sub belongs to Dharma. It's unclear how the Others get back and forth to the mainland before they take control of the sub following the purge. We don't know really know what happened with Ellie....whether she was living a double life (as Widmore apparently was), whether she spent some time on the Island and some off or what. Nor do we know why Faraday's last name is "Faraday" for that matter.
Old May 2 2009, 05:45 PM   #99
McCoy
Commodore

Just because we haven't seen him doesn't necessarily mean that little Daniel isn't in the Others' camp somewhere.
Old May 2 2009, 07:12 PM   #100
Mallet
Fleet Captain

McCoy wrote: View Post
Just because we haven't seen him doesn't necessarily mean that little Daniel isn't in the Others' camp somewhere.

But he didn't start getting bad nose bleeds like everyone else did during the Time Jumps. According to what he said, the longer you were on the island the worse it would be. Charlotte got it worse because she had been on the island as a child. Then Miles started getting bad, because he was also there as a kid. Then it was Juliette, then Sawyer (in terms of how bad they were getting). Daniel was the least effected by the Jumps, which means he was probably never on the island before he parachuted in.
Old May 3 2009, 12:04 AM   #101
McCoy
Commodore

Or maybe because he was the only one who was an Other.
Old May 3 2009, 06:08 AM   #102
Mallet
Fleet Captain

McCoy wrote: View Post
Or maybe because he was the only one who was an Other.
Ooo... Good point.
Old May 3 2009, 08:43 AM   #103
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

he could have been off the island, somehow Widmore came and went off the Island, somehow Richard came and went off the island, so there IS a way for the others/hostiles to leave

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old May 3 2009, 10:35 AM   #104
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Or his timetravel experiments prepared and protected him against it. I know, sounds very much like Trek time travel logic, but then again what was that little movie called Abrams is about to release into the theaters?
Old May 5 2009, 07:04 PM   #105
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

[Worf]Little?[/Worf]