Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 1 2009, 01:10 PM   #91
Neroon
Mod of balance

Re: What if a BSG-styled remake of Babylon 5 was made?

Ahh.... but B5 is grey. It stands between the candle and the star. Between the dark and the light......

- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2009, 02:26 PM   #92
Mr Light
Admiral

Ah man are you kidding? How much more awesome would Blade Runner have been if he had a goofy alien sidekick who was always falling down and knocking stuff over??? If only

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2009, 02:37 PM   #93
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Neroon wrote: View Post
Ahh.... but B5 is grey. It stands between the candle and the star. Between the dark and the light......

And that's when I killed him, Your Honor.
Old May 1 2009, 02:47 PM   #94
Jan
Commodore

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Neroon wrote: View Post

And that's when I killed him, Your Honor.
When the darkness comes, know this: You are the right people, in the right place, at the right time.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2009, 05:25 PM   #95
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

A NuBSG-style remake?

-Hokey mythology.

-Pretentious self-importance.

-Morally grey characters.

-Sometimes spotty CGI effects

How exactly would it be different?
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2009, 09:43 PM   #96
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Ah man are you kidding? How much more awesome would Blade Runner have been if he had a goofy alien sidekick who was always falling down and knocking stuff over??? If only
Or a chimp in a robot dog suit.

Old May 1 2009, 10:08 PM   #97
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

MeanJoePhaser wrote: View Post
A NuBSG-style remake?

-Hokey mythology.

-Pretentious self-importance.

-Morally grey characters.

-Sometimes spotty CGI effects

How exactly would it be different?
There are many similarities aren't there. I've said before that if Babylon 5 was the Hill Street Blues of science fiction, as JMS once said, then nuBSG is NYPD Blue of SFTV.
Old May 1 2009, 10:21 PM   #98
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

dru wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
The original BSG was awful and couldn't be brought back without serious changes.
Funny that. Just a year before Fox & Universal had begun production and set building on a continuation, large elements of which ended up cribbed and reused in Moore's bastardization despite his protestations to the contrary.
Good for Fox & Universal - maybe they were onto something worthwhile. But it never got made, so it does me no good. And if RDM stole intellectual property from someone, then someone better call up their lawyers and sue. What difference does it make to me?

Fondness for the original was the reason eyeballs looked at his miniseries and yet how significantly did ratings drop off over time for that supposed 'best show on tv'?
As ever, ratings have no correlation to quality.
I would rather see a remake of Crusade.
Me too. Or a make of Crusade, since they never even got started.

Only if he's Jar-Jar and the guy who kills him is Gaff. With a flashlight.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; May 1 2009 at 10:37 PM.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2009, 04:48 AM   #99
chrisspringob
Commodore

Subjective wrote: View Post
The problem with remaking B5 is that the story is so integral to the series. I don't want to see them just recreate the plot of the series, I'd want to see something completely new that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stick up like they did when I watched it for the first time.
Yes, we had a similar thread here about six months ago, and I made a similar point. Remaking B5 is a fundamentally different endeavor from remaking classic BSG or classic Trek. The question is, what exactly is it about the original that you like, that you're trying to remake? In the latter cases, you're rebooting the characters and the premise into a new story or series of stories.

But in the case of B5, what drew many people to it was the particular story that was being told. You're going to redo that very same basic story all over again, in 100+ hours of TV spread out over 5 years, but just update it in certain ways? I find it hard to believe that you'd be able to find a group of writers who are willing to write about 6000 pages of scripts over that length of time for a story that is not their own. I really don't think it would work.

You also have to keep in mind that a lot of the drawing power for arc-heavy shows like nBSG and Lost is the fact that viewers want to keep coming back to see how the story will unfold. If they already know the basics of the story, they're not going to keep coming back for five years in the same numbers. There isn't going to be the same level of online discussion and speculation about where the story is going as there would be for something original.

The only way I can see a B5 remake happening would be if it really was "B5 in name only" where someone takes the concept of "UN in space", along with some character reimagining on some of the more popular characters, but then does the show with a completely original story which bears virtually no resemblance to the original.
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2009, 12:51 PM   #100
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Yeah, you're right about the story being predictable if the series is redone word for word. But that wouldn't be a true remake. A true remake would be, yes, an updated version of that story but to make the story more of its own entity too, the characters would have to be altered in some ways that wouldn't be too fundamental like Starbuck being turned into a woman yet keeping the same cocky, maverick attitude as the original Starbuck.

And some new plot twists would have to put in the story to give some unpredictability like in the sequel to the original Battlestar Galactica (Galactica 1980), the fleet reaches Earth they've been looking for only it was the planet of that present. But in the NuBSG, when the fleet reaches the Earth they've been looking for, it turns out to be a nuked wasteland. It wasn't until the end of the series that they reach our Earth, which wasn't that of our present but of our prehistoric past.

And you're right about how hard it would be to do 100 hours of TV for this show and to get a group of writers willing to do it. But if I were to do a Babylon 5 remake, each season wouldn't be 22 episodes long. Each season would be 13 episodes long. Less filler yet some space for a few non-arc episodes.
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2009, 01:47 PM   #101
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

To the people who object that a 'remake' or 'reboot' of B5 could bring nothing new to the table because it has to tell a story arc that everyone is already familiar with, and would therefore not be interested in seeing 'redone', there ARE ways to tell a familiar story in new and surprising ways; see 'Virtual Firefly' (link in my sig) for a prime example.

As someone who has already tried to 'remake' or 'reboot' B5, the thing that I've come to realize about the series is that the only things that are TRULY important about it are its basic ideas, and its characters. Everything else can be tossed out the window. At its core, B5 is a story about a galaxy that, while it appears to be calm on the surface, is actually a powder keg waiting to go off, and what happens when that 'powder keg' is ignited.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2009, 01:49 PM   #102
chrisspringob
Commodore

My point is that a remake of B5 probably wouldn't turn out to be "basically the same story, but with some new twists thrown in", in the way that most of the people commenting in this thread seem to be framing it. If this were to really be done, then the story would end up getting changed in such a radical way that it wouldn't really be recognizable. This isn't like Lord of the Rings, where the story is so iconic and widely beloved that the creative people are going to be willing to invest years of their lives telling someone else's story. The writers signing on to this thing, if they're really investing themselves into producing dozens of hours of television, are going to want to create something that is truly their own....with a story arc that is wholly unrecognizable as being B5.

But if that's the case.....then I'd say that there isn't really that much point in even making it B5. You might as well just do something original. For me, B5 *is* that story that was told from 1993-1998. Remaking what is basically "a novel for television" then seems like rewriting a novel....like writing an updated version of "War and Peace"....what's the point?

That's different from, say, original BSG, where the show is the premise and the characters, and there really isn't much of anything in the way of a story arc that one has to worry about staying true to.....at least beyond the setup in the first episode.
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2009, 02:04 PM   #103
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

When talking about something like this, you're dealing with 3 or 4 different issues:
1) The reasoning behind why you would want to redo the series given how iconic it is
2) The question of whether or not anything 'new' could be brought to the table
3) The viability of such an endeavor
4) The feasibility of such an endeavor (i.e. 'would this actually work')

In real life, there is probably no way that a B5 reboot or remake would go anywhere because of the reasons that chrisspringbob brought up, but that shouldn't preclude discussion about the topic, nor should it preclude the exploration of said topic via the realm of fanfiction.

Even though the likelihood of something like this happening IRL is slim, there IS a chance that it could work (there's always a chance; just ask people like George Lucas).

BTW, this discussion has actually been much more productive than the last discussion we had on the topic (which I started), even though the same objections have been brought up as last time.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2009, 06:21 PM   #104
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
BolianAdmiral wrote: View Post
A team of RDM and JMS would be THE MOST AWESOME, KICKASS, team in all of science-fiction history, and would be a union so grand in it's pure awesomeness, that the universe itself would explode, from an inability to cope with such blinding grandeur.
No, it would be complete bullshit, and would result in the destruction of great characters (Delenn, G'Kar, Lennier, Londo, Vir) all because people like RDM don't like aliens and don't want them on the show, plus instead of Garibaldi overcoming his addiction, he'd be in his cups all the time, like Tigh. Again, no thanks on this remake-at least, not with RDM.

Those that don't like Babylon 5, hear me again; JMS's show may be wacky doodle, but it's his wacky doodle; you don't have to watch it if you don't want to. Remaking it to be like BSG would be ass, and would be a failure, so tough shit for you guys.
You know its always funny when someone gets bent out of shape when someone bad talks a show they like but then bad talks another show.

DWF wrote: View Post
Why does everything have to remade into Battlestar Galactica, B5 is fine just the way it is.
Amen.

Moore's series was not even successful except by the low standards of the SyFy Channel.
see still funny.

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
The original BSG was awful and couldn't be brought back without serious changes.
Funny that. Just a year before Fox & Universal had begun production and set building on a continuation, large elements of which ended up cribbed and reused in Moore's bastardization despite his protestations to the contrary.

Fondness for the original was the reason eyeballs looked at his miniseries and yet how significantly did ratings drop off over time for that supposed 'best show on tv'?

To answer the OT, no way should B5 is reimagined like that failed show. Besides andreas katsulas is irreplaceable.
1) Who gives a crap what fox planed to do then didn't do.

2) Insulting another show to defend your show is just rude.

3) NuBSG is getting a spinoff that might last a couple seasons if its good, B5 has yet to have that happen.

RandyS wrote: View Post
I thought one of the things that made B5 the best show ever made was its perfect tone. It managed to be funny and serious without one compromising the other. BSG, on the other hand, was unrelentingly dark and too much of a downer. While I would like to see the action/budget level stepped up a notch on B5 I wouldn't touch its tone for a second.
Agreed completely. as far as "dark and and gritty" goes, B5 is as dark as sci-fi should get. Every copy of New Galactica should be burned, and it's producers should be put into therapy.

Okay, rant over. That said, B5 is perfect as is. No need for a remake.
Yes because everything a show about the last survivors of an entire race runing for their lives trying to find a new home in a mostly barren galaxy should be all light and happy. I mean the The Holocaust was apparently all smiles and sunshine
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2009, 03:44 AM   #105
theenglish
Rear Admiral

For all its flaws, B5 had a lot to offer and holds a unique place in Science Fiction (any form of Science Fiction). I would not object to a TNG style remake of the series, but there is no need to go back to a reinvention of the original premise.

Unlike the original BSG which only had a season's worth of episodes, B5 has a complete, intact arc that holds together very well and does not need to be redone.

Other shows, like BSG which were poorly done originally or only have a few episodes to them could be redone nuBSG style. Buck Rogers in the 25th Century is a possibility for this category, for example.

Other shows have recently had the potential for well done re-imaginings such as Bionic Woman and Knight Rider but failed miserably.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote