Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 30 2009, 01:26 AM   #1471
arch101
Fleet Captain

Re: World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

^^^Nimoy was a heavy smoker for many years and looks the part.
Old April 30 2009, 01:28 AM   #1472
Kruge
Lieutenant Commander

Location: Furiously shuttling between the Prime and Alternate Universes...
Send a message via Yahoo to Kruge

I think its years of imbibing and over-eating, personally, but that's just a guess.... maybe its just bad genetics...none of my relatives were ever overweight, so I chalk up my metabolism to good genes, but if you think about it, Nimoy was always pretty tall and slim, and Shatner was short and husky, so its not a stretch to imagine in his later years he'd...shall we say, expand...

Not that it matters...he can be as short and fat as they come, but when he stands on his wallet and turns on the Shatner charm, I'm not surprised he's been able to score a wife who his several years his junior!
Old April 30 2009, 01:31 AM   #1473
Kruge
Lieutenant Commander

a heavy drinker too...he really looks OLD, and not it the Bill Shatner "Old like your fat older uncle who hits on the younger waitresses at the bar" old, but like Skeletor old...its so sad, I've always thought of Nimoy as the more refined of the two...except for the photos of naked fat chicks, thats not really my thing...
Old April 30 2009, 01:33 AM   #1474
Borgminister

Nimoy's a heavy drinker??!

Didn't know that. But there's no sense in a Nimoy versus Shatner spat, so never mind.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2009, 01:39 AM   #1475
Kruge
Lieutenant Commander

He battled alcoholism for years, and took Shatner's late wife to A.A. meetings, to no avail...

Its in shatners new Bio...a pretty interesting book, but Im pretty sure it was cobbled together from interviews
Old April 30 2009, 01:39 AM   #1476
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Kruge wrote: View Post
Quark's Lobe: (sorry, I either haven't been here long enough to quote messages in my reply, or I don't know how)
You should be able to quote other posters now, by clicking on the quote button found at the bottom of each post. If you want to respond to more than one post, as you have several times in this thread, click on the Multi-Quote button for each post you want to reply to, then hit the Post Reply button at the top or bottom of the page to reply.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2009, 01:41 AM   #1477
Kruge
Lieutenant Commander

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Quark's Lobe: (sorry, I either haven't been here long enough to quote messages in my reply, or I don't know how)
You should be able to quote other posters now, by clicking on the quote button found at the bottom of each post. If you want to respond to more than one post, as you have several times in this thread, click on the Multi-Quote button for each post you want to reply to, then hit the Post Reply button at the top or bottom of the page to reply.
Thank you, Sir
Old April 30 2009, 04:37 AM   #1478
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

He battled alcoholism for years...
Quite some while ago. Alcoholics don't look a particular way - even later in life some are quite fat or thin or healthy in appearance. Not all alcoholics even develop the kind of significant organ damage that is reflected in "wasting" or other visible effects.

Nimoy was a long way from being the only alcoholic amongst the cast and crew of the original Star Trek, and you wouldn't guess the others by looking either...
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2009, 10:09 AM   #1479
SmackRacer
Ensign

Can someone who's seen the movie tell me if the new time line created still allows for revisiting old characters or events. For instance is it possible there is a DY-100 class transportation vessel, registration: Botany Bay, floating around out there in space somewhere? Kodos the executioner? Nazi planets? I'm sure none of these are directly referenced but is it POSSIBLE?!
SmackRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2009, 11:22 AM   #1480
SheliakBob
Commander

Sigh.
Oh well. Might as well at least try.
In most of the reviews and spoilers I've seen, it is repeatedly stated that there are aliens, and not "forehead" aliens--mostly in the background.
Any familiar species? Other than Vulcans (poor homeless bastards), and um, Romulans.
Any really cool looking new designs that anyone noticed, other than "Scotty's" wee alien buddy?
SheliakBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2009, 04:06 PM   #1481
SiddFinch1
Commander

Is Vulcan blown to bits or is it destroyed in a way in which the planet could have been sucked into an alternate universe timeline as Nero and Spock were?

Is it specified what year the main events take place/how old Kirk is? From what i read Spock prime was confused that Kirk was not Captain yet- does that mean the movie is in 2266?

Last edited by SiddFinch1; April 30 2009 at 05:38 PM.
SiddFinch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2009, 05:21 PM   #1482
Cheebo
Captain

a heavy drinker too...he really looks OLD, and not it the Bill Shatner "Old like your fat older uncle who hits on the younger waitresses at the bar" old, but like Skeletor old...its so sad, I've always thought of Nimoy as the more refined of the two...except for the photos of naked fat chicks, thats not really my thing...
Spock may be refined but Nimoy ain't.

When he was on Colbert earlier this year he rambled about masturbating!
Cheebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2009, 06:53 PM   #1483
Kruge
Lieutenant Commander

SmackRacer wrote: View Post
Can someone who's seen the movie tell me if the new time line created still allows for revisiting old characters or events. For instance is it possible there is a DY-100 class transportation vessel, registration: Botany Bay, floating around out there in space somewhere? Kodos the executioner? Nazi planets? I'm sure none of these are directly referenced but is it POSSIBLE?!
the Botany Bay was launched in 1996, and since Nero alters the timeline in the 23rd century, then presumably yes, its still drifting in space....

The general rule of thumb seems to be that which took place before Nero's intervention is the same, everything after is either altered or will no longer take place

I'll show myself out....
Old April 30 2009, 06:55 PM   #1484
Kruge
Lieutenant Commander

Cheebo wrote: View Post
Spock may be refined but Nimoy ain't.

When he was on Colbert earlier this year he rambled about masturbating!
bah

pandering to the young, moronic massess...

Just like Betty White's performance at Shatner's roast

Trying to be hip without breaking one
Old April 30 2009, 06:57 PM   #1485
Kruge
Lieutenant Commander

SiddFinch1 wrote: View Post
Is Vulcan blown to bits or is it destroyed in a way in which the planet could have been sucked into an alternate universe timeline as Nero and Spock were?

Is it specified what year the main events take place/how old Kirk is? From what i read Spock prime was confused that Kirk was not Captain yet- does that mean the movie is in 2266?
yeah that confuses me too...id think it was set in the late 2250s, but im starting to think thts not the case