RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,694
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 828
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old April 28 2009, 11:28 AM   #1621
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Jax wrote: View Post
Time to give Derby that over due spanking next season
We'll be sure to give you a 3-0 headstart next season before we pull it back and win......
Old April 28 2009, 11:41 AM   #1622
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

Starkers wrote: View Post
You do have to wonder just how screwed Newcastle are if they get relegated. Owen Viduka etc are all on huge contracts, and many of them don't have much resale value really, and even though some of them will be attractive to other clubs, will they pay the same wages?
They are both out of contract. I don't know who else they have on big money - probably Martins, Coloccini, Duff, and probably Alan Smith and Joey Barton knowing them.

I suspect Newcastle might benefit in the long run from a spell in the Championship. If their "loyal" fans keep filling up St James' Park, revenue will be good, and they would surely be an attractive side for the better players. They've got a few young players who look decent prospects - Andy Carroll will probably shine for example.

If Ashley can keep them in business long enough for Shearer (or his replacement) to build a team of men who want to play for the club, they'll be back up in no time.
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2009, 12:27 PM   #1623
Hermiod
Admiral

^Yeah, even if they lose a lot of players, I would still make them odds on favourites to win the Championship next season and come straight back up. It could end up being good for them, clearing out the dead wood will give them a chance to get back on to a solid cost base and get some players in who are committed to Newcastle and not just using the club as a stepping stone.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2009, 01:29 PM   #1624
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

Starkers wrote: View Post
You do have to wonder just how screwed Newcastle are if they get relegated. Owen Viduka etc are all on huge contracts, and many of them don't have much resale value really, and even though some of them will be attractive to other clubs, will they pay the same wages?
I hope Owen goes to a decent club that should give him a boost because he can still score but has always been a striker who needs the team to be playing well to score, hes not like Rooney or Torres who can lift the team up by themselves. I still feel with there debts Man Utd must look at a free transfer of Owen as good buissness and buy him in the summer mainly because they need a natural goalscorer in there squad and Fegie almost went after him during the last 2 transfer windows.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2009, 02:39 PM   #1625
Starkers
Admiral

There would be a lot of plusses to signing Owen- he's a free transfer, and a damn fine goalscorer. On the downside he is injury prone, and his wages would be steep for, essentially, a bit part player. Fergie could probably find someone younger, fitter and (even with a transfer fee) cheaper.

Newcastle definitely need to clear the decks, the question is how much it will cost them to do that, and whilst they probably do need players who will play for Newcastle, they also need fans with a slightly more realistic opinion of their club's place in this world. Be very interesting to see if St James keeps filling to the rafters when the likes of Blackpool or Plymouth come calling as well.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2009, 06:30 PM   #1626
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
I hope Owen goes to a decent club that should give him a boost because he can still score but has always been a striker who needs the team to be playing well to score, hes not like Rooney or Torres who can lift the team up by themselves. I still feel with there debts Man Utd must look at a free transfer of Owen as good buissness and buy him in the summer mainly because they need a natural goalscorer in there squad and Fegie almost went after him during the last 2 transfer windows.
Rafa was allegedly offered him in the summer for a million and 45k wages, and turned him down. From what I've heard, his back is fucked, and he'll never play at a high level again. He lost interest in football when it became obvious his England days were over, and all he's really after is one last payday so he can focus on his horses.

Talk about Manchester United seems crazy. They dumped Saha, who has more life in him. I bet Spurs sign him though!
Old April 28 2009, 08:57 PM   #1627
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Super-boring game so far with Chelsea employing an innovative 10-0-0 tactic.
Old April 28 2009, 09:41 PM   #1628
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

The kind of defensive display that most foreign teams are incapable of, which is why English teams dominate the game at the moment.

It doesn't come as much of a surprise that Barcelona were unable to break Chelsea down. Job half done, another all-English final is looking inevitable I'm afraid.
Old April 28 2009, 10:29 PM   #1629
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

Barca were there for the taking. Shocking lack of ambition from Hiddink after all the talk before the match.
Old April 28 2009, 11:01 PM   #1630
Nivilla1982
Ensign

Is it really advantage Chelsea? I can see Barca winning in London.
Nivilla1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2009, 12:59 AM   #1631
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Dismissing Barca when there is such a thing as the away goal rule is a bit premature.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2009, 06:55 AM   #1632
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Nivilla1982 wrote: View Post
Is it really advantage Chelsea? I can see Barca winning in London.
Barcelona clearly is the favourite to go to the finals, 0:0 away is not a good result in the European Cup.
Old April 29 2009, 07:33 AM   #1633
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

It's not advantage Chelsea by a long shot, and it was a boring game, but I loved watching Barca's overrated primadonnas get frustrated by not scoring. And Guardiola whining during the post-match press conference was great too.

Alves and Iniesta constantly rolling around was ridiculous. They almost made Drogba look like an honest player.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2009, 09:47 AM   #1634
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Marquez and Puyol both out for the second leg. Providing Chelsea keep 11 men on the field, they'll win the second leg. Barcelona have been eliminated on English soil three times in the last four seasons. Can't see this one being much different. Defensively, particularly away from home they're not great, and with key players missing, Chelsea should have more than enough.

IMO, Chelsea can probably afford to concede and still win. Doesn't really bother me either way, I'm not a Chelsea fan, but they're like robots at home in Europe, they just grind out results and I expect they'll do the same in the second leg. To be honest, it really wouldn't surprise me if Barce don't score.

From memory, last season, when Barcelona went to OT in the SFs, didn't they also have Eto'o, Henry and Messi in the squad? Yet United stopped them scoring with a defence that included Wes Brown and Owen Hargreaves. Barce are great with the ball, and generally tend to have plenty of possession, but over the last three or four years they've struggled to really make this count against English opposition. The only success they've had is when the English team's been down to 10 men (Chelsea, Arsenal).
Old April 29 2009, 03:13 PM   #1635
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Alves and Iniesta constantly rolling around was ridiculous. They almost made Drogba look like an honest player.
It was amusing to see how frustrated Barca got when the German ref didn't offer them the same level of protection, or go for the play acting, that regularly features in Primera games.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote