Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old April 22 2009, 05:56 AM   #196
The_Beef
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Excelsior Technical Manual - Revived!

Praetor wrote: View Post
Admiral Demora Sulu, daughter of late Excelsior Captain and Federation President Hikaru Sulu, and former commander of the Enterprise-B, delivered a powerful keynote speech that brought thunderous applause from the audience.
I feel like this should be inverted to "Admiral Demora Sulu, former commander of the Enterprise-B and daughter of late Excelsior captain and Federation President Hikaru Sulu, delivered. . ." I think this is a somewhat clearer form of presentation, as the original left the possibility that "and former commander of the Enterprise-B" could refer to Hikaru rather than Demora. It's also slightly less complicated, which is always a benefit for the sake of flow and clarity.

Excelsiors gave hope to the literally thousands of worlds they visited
I'd actually just leave "literally" out, I feel like it's unnecessary and really just clutters up the sentence. "Excelsiors gave hope to the thousands of worlds they visited" flows better and treats the subject more matter-of-fact. It kind of says that there's no need for exaggeration here, the Excelsiors lived up to whatever you have to say about them.
The_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2009, 07:41 AM   #197
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Good ideas, Beef. Done and done.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2009, 08:22 AM   #198
DaveyNY
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY

Grammatical Nit Pic's...

The saying is ...long since gone...

Suggest...

Much has been said and written about the U.S.S. Excelsior and her sister ships over the previous century. At first, the Excelsiors' stature as the 'Great Experiment' was shattered by the failure of her transwarp drive. However, even with this early defeat, she continued on to final victory. The illustrious and successful service career of not only Excelsior, but also her 469 sister ships, most of which are long since gone, proved through an era of uncertainty and constant political change, too be one of the most successful starship classes in Starfleet history.
And also, one of the most ubiquitous symbols of Federation principles.
Excelsiors gave hope to millions on the myriad of worlds they visited and offered fierce opposition to those who tried to silence the call of freedom throughout Federation space.
As the 24th century draws to a close, the remaining Excelsiors still in service will be retired, committed to the history books, but their legend and the spirit of the men and women who served on them, --boldly going where no one has gone before-- will live on.
I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.

Last edited by DaveyNY; April 23 2009 at 08:46 AM.
DaveyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2009, 02:09 AM   #199
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Good suggestion, daveNY. Done and done. Thanks!

Any further comments before we get to the technical stuff?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old April 24 2009, 04:40 AM   #200
sojourner
Admiral

NO! Get to the technical stuff! pls?
Old April 26 2009, 07:18 AM   #201
friedebarth
Lieutenant Commander

I appreciate you making yourself this much work, and so far this is good writing, as well as a good compellation of images.

However I absolutely hate FASA's idea to put transwarp into the Excelsior class, which is for me just plain stupidity and ignorance of canon. Which is why FASA is non-canon, anyway :P

Will you ever be planning to do a canon Excelsior Tech Manual?
Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be follow my faith."
friedebarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 05:36 PM   #202
sojourner
Admiral

Wait. what? What transwarp? Did you read what Praetor wrote? He extrapolated what was seen in the movies but ultimately made transwarp a failure as it was portrayed in the later shows. That's about as "canon" as it can get I think.

Last edited by sojourner; April 26 2009 at 05:47 PM.
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 08:29 PM   #203
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

It's worth noting that in the mid-eighties, transwarp was a success as far as anyone else knew. According to the Enterprise-A bridge graphics in Star Trek IV (Mike Okuda's first Trek contribution, I believe), the ship was packing transwarp drive too. FASA was knocking about around that time, was it not? I never heard of it until recently.

TNG made things a bit clearer, and "transwarp" was always a super-advanced tech associated with the Borg. With the exception of the newt episode... I think Praetor's done a great job of retconning everything to make sense.
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2009, 07:20 PM   #204
Praetor
Vice Admiral

friedebarth wrote: View Post
I appreciate you making yourself this much work, and so far this is good writing, as well as a good compellation of images.

However I absolutely hate FASA's idea to put transwarp into the Excelsior class, which is for me just plain stupidity and ignorance of canon. Which is why FASA is non-canon, anyway :P

Thank you for the compliments.

As for the transwarp and 'canon' issue...

sojourner wrote: View Post
Wait. what? What transwarp? Did you read what Praetor wrote? He extrapolated what was seen in the movies but ultimately made transwarp a failure as it was portrayed in the later shows. That's about as "canon" as it can get I think.
Bingo, and that was my goal - to stay as true to 'canon' as possible.

Since the (mostly) official materials such as the TM and STE say transwarp was a failure, as far as I'm concerned it was a failure - although as I mentioned it was a pseudo-success as the source for the innovations that led to the recalibrated warp scale and the TNG-style warp drive.

Tomalak wrote: View Post
It's worth noting that in the mid-eighties, transwarp was a success as far as anyone else knew. According to the Enterprise-A bridge graphics in Star Trek IV (Mike Okuda's first Trek contribution, I believe), the ship was packing transwarp drive too. FASA was knocking about around that time, was it not? I never heard of it until recently.

TNG made things a bit clearer, and "transwarp" was always a super-advanced tech associated with the Borg. With the exception of the newt episode... I think Praetor's done a great job of retconning everything to make sense.
Well, I even tried to fit in infinite velocity whatnottery from the 'newt' episode without the actual mention of the whole 'newt' thing - even if it did require some creative retconning on my part.

Okay, let's wade our toes in some tech stuff (while I try to force myself to scan my deckplan hand drawings.)
U.S.S. Excelsior, NCC-2000
Technical Familiarization Resource

The following was written in 2290 following the Excelsior's operational refit after the failure of the Transwarp Development Project to familiarize new crew and Starfleet brass alike with the new ship. It describes the ship in its original condition as of launch in that year, and compares the ship's initial fittings in 2284 to the equipment later installed for her service career. Appendices follow outlining the evolution of the design in the subsequent years, 'cousins' developed from the class, and a list of noteworthy ships. In her exhibition as part of the Fleet Museum's collection, Excelsior has been cosmetically restored to her 2290 status. This summary is one of several historic documents prepared for display at the Excelsior Exhibit.

Structural Overview

The Excelsior’s design drew upon the now traditional primary-secondary hull configuration first introduced in the Daedalus class of the late twenty-second century. The Excelsior’s space-frame consisted of five integrated main assemblies: the primary hull (saucer section), interconnecting dorsal “neck,” secondary hull, warp nacelle pylon assembly, and twin warp nacelles (together comprising the engineering section). Each unit was constructed separately as an independent module at San Francisco Fleet Yards on Earth and then gamma-welded together with the others in drydock in synchronus Earth orbit. Overall vessel dimensions are as follows: Length, 467.05 meters; Beam, 177.21 meters; Height, 74.93 meters.

The primary hull, or more popularly the “saucer section,” is considered to be the main hull component. It houses the main command facilities, including the main and auxiliary bridges and the main computer core, as well as main crew accommodations and crew support facilities including food preparation and laundry systems. It also contains the main dorsal and ventral sensor platforms, and the ten primary phaser banks. A spar extending aft along the longitudinal axis of the saucer section also houses the impulse reaction system and upper intermix chamber, which extends downward to the deflector alcove in the secondary hull. Overall saucer dimensions are as follows: Length, 198.51 meters; Beam, 177.21 meters; Height, 30.71 meters.

The interconnecting dorsal is one of the components of the “engineering section.” Originally fitted with transwarp field monitoring and refinement equipment (its very chevron-shaped horizontal cross-sections defined by warp field dynamics), it is now primary void space, save the intermix chamber which spans it vertically and related equipment. Auxiliary crew quarters and freight space can be found here, along with inertial damper systems.

The secondary hull itself is the main component of the engineering section. It is roughly cigar-shaped in design, with a flattened dorsal and perfectly curved ventral. It houses main engineering and primary warp power systems, including the antimatter storage systems, as well as the main deflector dish. Primarily a hollow unit, the secondary hull houses Shuttlebay One and the Main Cargo Storage Facility, Shuttlebay Two mounted at the fantail atop the dorsal, and the twin fore and aft torpedo launchers. Overall secondary hull dimensions are as follows: Length, 271.79 meters; Beam, 58.76 meters; Height, 43.93 meters.

The warp nacelle pylon assembly is composed of an elliptical hemisphere mounting the twin warp nacelle struts. The “dome” unit houses the main plasma manifold and EPS system, as well as various engineering support systems. It is streamlined for greater warp performance. The massive twin warp nacelles are mounted securely atop the twin support pylons. They are roughly shaped like truncated squares in cross-section, and taper to their aft ends. Overall warp nacelle unit dimensions are as follows: Length, 247.08 meters, Beam, 17.70 meters; Height, 20.33 meters.

Deck One (A-Deck)

Deck one is a fairly large space extending across the very top of the primary hull spar aft towards the impulse engines. However, the only habitable volume of the deck consists of the main bridge/briefing room area at the front, which is sunken nearly two meters into a protective ring structure. The bridge unit is an interchangeable module designed for swapout at regular refit intervals to facilitate easier control system upgrades. In keeping with Starfleet tradition, the bridge is a circular room lined with various instrument stations necessary for the operation of a modern starship.

The uninhabitable space of Deck One contains numerous systems. The protective ring around the bridge module contains auxiliary battery power and life support systems for emergency use. A bar extending aft from this unit contains the main high-gain subspace antenna, and is flanked on either side by the uppermost portions of the dorsal sensor platform within raised hull flats. Excelsior is equipped with an extensive suite of all modern sensor modules.

Aft of this at the deck’s rear are the upper housing for the twin deflection crystals that top the intermix chamber and the upper impulse systems, including the radiative cooling unit baffles and fins. When she was originally launched, Excelsior mounted a single, large deflection crystal atop her intermix chamber. The deflection crystal allows warp power to be directly channeled to supplement the impulse system. However, flight tests proved that the large crystal tended to easily overload, so the ship’s 2287 refit and intermix chamber replacement saw the installation of a pair of smaller, more conventional deflection crystals capable of the same workload. These units have proven far more reliable and stable than the previous configuration, although some future Excelsior class ships are expected to retain the single-unit design if current research makes it more workable as is theorized.

Main Bridge

The bridge module originally equipped to the Excelsior at her commissioning in 2284 was quite different from the one installed in 2289 for her operational career, but the two still retain similar Starfleet characteristics. The 2284 bridge module was designed around the operation of the transwarp drive. It did not contain an observation lounge as on the new module, but was still an efficient control space. The room was a perfect circle, with a single turbolift directly aft and a large viewscreen forward, comprising nearly one-third of the room’s wall space, with small secondary exit doors to either side (leading to a surrounding corridor). The remaining wall space was dedicated to control consoles. A “pedestal” in the center of the room mounted (for the first time) separate helm and navigation consoles, with Helm at starboard and navigation at port. The Captain’s chair was directly aft of these consoles.

The Captain’s chair, and indeed all the bridge chairs, was quite unusual and characteristic of Excelsior’s early career. They all mounted large inertial restraint arms that some crew nicknamed “bear arms,” so described because in transwarp flight these mssive arms were programmed to automatically grab and securely hold the seat’s occupant. Also for the first time, Starfleet adopted the use of touch-screen “Okudagram” control surfaces, so named after their inventor, Dr. Michael Okuda. These controls were far more sophisticated and versatile than their push-button predecessors, and could be reconfigured for specific needs far more easily. Okudagram interfaces evolved in sophistication quickly and soon became the fleet-wide standard. “Bear arm” chairs, however, heralded the end of physical seating restraints in favor of interwoven gravity cushions and better intertial damper systems.

The Excelsior’s 2287 refit and transwarp drive removal prompted the replacement of the 2284 bridge module, and Starfleet took the opportunity to equip her with something even more modern and cutting-edge. The 2289 module retained the circular dome-shape for the bridge with Okudagram touch-screens, but is distinctly different from its predecessor. Two turbolift stations serve this bridge, one each at port and starboard. The viewscreen remains virtually unchanged, but is slightly smaller, and gone are the forward corridor access doors.

Stations lining the bridge walls include: engineering support, propulsion, communications, and tactical monitoring at port; three dedicated science statsions and a small master control monitoring station at starboard. The upgraded Captain’s chair, and helm and nav consoles retain nearly the same locations on a platform level with the circumferential stations. A small table has been provided in front of the Captain’s chair for his convenience. An alcove at the aft of the bridge houses the new master situation display, a graphic of the ship that allows the Captain to view the ship’s status at a glance over his shoulder. Doors flank the MSD, which allow access to the new briefing room/observation lounge, and an adjacent head for the bridge crew’s use.

Briefing Room/Observation Lounge

The new observation lounge provides an unparalleled view of the aft portion of the ship and the warp nacelles, and was designed to allow the senior staff a more convenient location for mission briefings. It features a long, slightly curved table fitted with computer access systems and chairs for each member of the senior staff. Each end wall is fitted with a fairly sizable viewscreen and data interface for briefing sessions. The inner wall is decorated with art and other personal decorations provided by the Captain. The Captain may also use the room as a ready room if so desired to relax when key situations require his proximity to the bridge.
After looking at the TNG TM again recently, I've been contemplating putting in author's footnotes explaining certain 'behind the scenes' info as Sternbach and Okuda did, and much as I did here with the italicized introductory paragraph - only, of course 'out of universe.' Any opinions on this idea?

Last edited by Praetor; April 27 2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old April 27 2009, 08:12 PM   #205
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

Oh, definately have footnotes, they are usually worth reading. I had a professor at university who wouldn't touch an article unless it was at least 50% footnotes.

Nice to see "Okudagram" become an official term, but what's an "observation lunge", as per the first paragraph of the main bridge section?
Old April 28 2009, 05:48 AM   #206
kitsune
Captain

U.S.S. Excelsior, NCC-2000
Technical Familiarization Resource
Why not Excelsior Class Technical Familiarization Resource?

Each unit was constructed separately as an independent module at San Francisco Fleet Yards on Earth and then gamma-welded together with the others in drydock in synchronus Earth orbit.
I think it would be difficult to lift the primary and secondary hulls into orbit if not under their own power.

The primary hull, or more popularly the “saucer section,”
or more popularly -> more commonly known as / also known as

is considered to be the main hull component.
primary == main, so these words don't really add anything

main crew accommodations
implying there are accommodations for a non-main crew?

food preparation and laundry systems
How about galleys and mess halls instead of food preparation systems? How about the ship's library, gymnasium, and recreational facilities, like the the bowling alley?

A spar extending aft along the longitudinal axis of the saucer section
What's a spar? I can't find a fitting definition.

upper intermix chamber, which extends downward to the deflector alcove in the secondary hull
to -> towards, maybe, since the lower chamber would actually be above or behind that alcove.

The interconnecting dorsal [...] its very chevron-shaped horizontal cross-sections
Chevron == V-shaped. The cross-sections are more like half of an ellipse.

perfectly curved ventral
Perfectly curved? Perhaps semi-circular?

It houses main engineering and primary warp power systems,
primary -> the primary

Primarily a hollow unit
unit -> volume / structure

the secondary hull houses Shuttlebay One and the Main Cargo Storage Facility, Shuttlebay Two mounted at the fantail atop the dorsal, and the twin fore and aft torpedo launchers.
the secondary hull houses Shuttlebay One, the Main Cargo Storage Facility, Shuttlebay Two (at the fantail on the dorsal plane), and three torpedo tubes (two fore, one aft).

The warp nacelle pylon assembly is composed of an elliptical hemisphere
elliptical hemisphere is an oxymoron. Semi-ellipsoid would be more technically correct, but it's awkward. I suggest elliptical dome instead.

mounting the twin warp nacelle struts.
from which the twin nacelle struts extend.

It is streamlined for greater warp performance.
Do you mean the physical shape is streamlined, or the inner workings are optimized?

the main high-gain subspace antenna
main -> primary

The bridge module originally equipped to the Excelsior
equipped to -> installed on / mated to

I like to think the Star Trek III bridge was an ejectable test bridge with its own propulsion system, like the one mentioned in the TNG-TM. Although it would be unfair for the bridge to eject in the event of a transwarp test failure, while those stuck in Engineering had nowhere to go...

They all mounted large inertial restraint arms that some crew nicknamed “bear arms,” so described because in transwarp flight these mssive arms
mssive -> massive

“Bear arm” chairs, however, heralded the end of physical seating restraints
Since when has Starfleet ever used seat restraints? Besides that one epsiode of TNG where the shuttle did a complete roll?

Well, maybe in Enterprise on a few occasions...

The upgraded Captain’s chair, and helm and nav consoles
Remove the comma

retain nearly the same locations
retain -> retained

A small table has been provided in front of the Captain’s chair for his convenience.
The only Starfleet ship bridge with a flat surface to set beverages down!
kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2009, 05:16 PM   #207
sojourner
Admiral

So, was the second bridge installed in 2289 as the first paragraph in that section states, or at the same time as the 2287 refit? This seems confusing the way you flip-flop on the date. Or are you saying that after only 3 years in operation she had a 2 year of refit?
Old April 28 2009, 05:42 PM   #208
Nimitz CO
Lieutenant Commander

sojourner wrote: View Post
So, was the second bridge installed in 2289 as the first paragraph in that section states, or at the same time as the 2287 refit? This seems confusing the way you flip-flop on the date. Or are you saying that after only 3 years in operation she had a 2 year of refit?
It's not uncommon for new vessels to go through minor refits at the beginning of there service lives as new technologies become available and are released fron there testing stages. As for the Excelsior, after being fitted with "conventional" warp drive engines, the control interfaces would need to be changed out to accomodate this, and in the case of Starfleet ships where "bridge modules" can be swapped out the little effort, this could be done several times during the service life of the vessel.
Nimitz CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2009, 06:19 PM   #209
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

Speaking of the removable bridge module, it was interesting to read on Doug Drexler's blog that the NX-01 was designed so the entire warp core and engineering section could be slid out and replaced with an improved model. Maybe something like this could have happened with the Excelsior?

There are those plates on the top of the engineering hull which look like they could be removed to get at the innards, and the Enterprise refit had something similar around the torpedo bay - there were also what looked like hatches on the pylons, presumably for access to the conduits. An easily replaceable warp core could only increase the life of the ship.
Old April 28 2009, 08:27 PM   #210
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

friedebarth wrote: View Post

Huh?

Did you not see ST-III?

FASA didn't come up with the idea that the Excelsior was built with transwarp drive. The people who made "ST-III" did. It was a major bit in the film. Go back and rewatch it... (Styles' comments are priceless.)
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote