Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 26 2009, 10:44 PM   #31
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Re: What if a BSG-styled remake of Babylon 5 was made?

I'm putting aside the 'should they' part of the remake since that was not the OP's hypothetical. In this scenario, it's being remade period, and what should they do?

Well, the one thing that really strikes me about BSG is for some of its problems (overall story consistency, plotting, ironicallly B5's strongest asset), it really excels in a serious feel, which if you read JMS' original postings about B5 and how it was supposed to be like the Hill Street Blues of the sci-fi genre, to take a serious drama style look at sci-fi... BSG really did accomplish that. It doesn't have the "novel" feel of B5 but I think its the one shows critical community has rallied around as the 'Hill Street Blues' type serious sci-fi.

So with that in mind, yes a big part of that was stylisticly, while I would tone down the shaky-cam, I'd have a similar cinematic style.

The acting is one area where a redone B5 could be improved dramatically. There are many bad actors (Conway, Ivanova), a few actors who are average but are still likeable out of shear earnestness (imo Boxleitner, Mira, Jerry Doyle, Katsulas), and one or two good ones. On BSG the only actor I think was bad/mediocre was Cally, with Helo and Tori being kind of mediocre and everyone else imo was rather strong.

I think probably the Shadows could be more of a mystery in the vein of LOST or BSG's (non-existent) Cylon motives. Clark's totalitarian rule would probably be a lot darker. We'd have less standalone episodes. The music would be a little different style. Naturally the effects would be better. However, the overall plot shouldn't stray too much from the B5 we had.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 11:12 PM   #32
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

What if each season was no more than 13 episodes long?
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 11:14 PM   #33
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Unnecessary.

B5 was sufficiently "dark" in tone and it was populated with credible and realistic characters. There's simply no need to turn it into something else when it was pretty much spot-on first time around.
Lindley wrote: View Post
I'll admit the CGI is weak, but I don't understand the "damn those pioneers, why didn't they do as well as those with the fully-developed tech!?" mindset.
Agreed. CGI had to start somewhere. Crapping on B5's FX with the benefit of hindsight and the technological advances made in the 15 years since the series proper premiered is just ridiculous.
Old April 26 2009, 11:27 PM   #34
Candlelight
Admiral

Joe Washington wrote: View Post
What if each season was no more than 13 episodes long?
The story would move faster, less need for filler episodes.

Still, the canvas of the story arc did mean even the smallest filler episode did contain at least one little hidden plot point which could be major later on.
Old April 27 2009, 12:47 AM   #35
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

How about in this remake, Sheridan was the one who suffered from the missing 24-hour gap while trying to move on from the presumed death of his wife Anna?
Old April 27 2009, 12:50 AM   #36
Candlelight
Admiral

Then Sinclair really would be a dull character.
Old April 27 2009, 12:51 AM   #37
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

What if Sinclair instead plays the role of General Hague? But instead of General Hague, it would be General Sinclair.
Old April 27 2009, 12:52 AM   #38
Harvey
Admiral

(To Option #1)...Then Sinclair wouldn't exist, which would probably be for the best, in that case. I can only speculate, but I imagine if Straczynski had realized that the Sinclair character would have played itself out by the end of only one season, he would have gone back to the drawing boards and created a different lead.

(To Option #2)...I don't know if that makes sense. Sinclair was mistrusted by most of the top people at Earth Dome.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2009, 01:01 AM   #39
3D Master
Rear Admiral

B5 was good.

nBSG was a pile of crap.

There's no point.
3D Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2009, 01:02 AM   #40
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

I must admit this is the first time I have ever heard anyone hint that B5 wasn't dark *enough*.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2009, 01:04 AM   #41
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Okay, let's get rid of Sinclair altogether, which would be one thing that would make the remake more its own entity while still having a connection to the original somewhat.
With Sinclair out of the picture, Sheridan would be the commanding officer of Babylon 5 from the very beginning. He would be the one who formed the friendship with Garibaldi back on Mars and chose him to be the new head of security.
He would have some issues with the Minbari after what happened to him in the Battle of Line. Which means his relationship with Delenn would have a rocky start. During the first season, he would start to be kinder to Delenn as he gets to know her but when he finally finds out what happened in the Battle of Line to lose his memory back then, he would become suspicious of Delenn's intentions, making him put some distance between him and her.
Old April 27 2009, 01:09 AM   #42
Harvey
Admiral

Having Sheridan be friends with Garibaldi would certainly give Garibaldi's season four arc more punch--instead of betraying a co-worker he never really knew personally, he'd be betraying his closest friend.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2009, 01:15 AM   #43
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Exactly.
Old April 27 2009, 01:16 AM   #44
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

It would be just as gut-wrenching as the rift between Adama and Tigh back in Season 3 after New Caprica.
Old April 27 2009, 01:59 AM   #45
Jan
Commodore

Dennis wrote: View Post
It might actually be good.

Most of B5's actors were quite good - possible exceptions of Christian and Doyle. If Boxleitner, Furlan or Katsulas ever seemed wooden it was due to the severe deficiencies of the material. The women found the sexual innuendo particularly embarrassing to play simply because it was so ham-handed and juvenile.
Actually, while I've heard that Mira Furlan was embarrassed by the 'cramps' scene, Larry DiTillio reported that Claudia loved that episode.

ETA: I wonder about those who think B5 would have been better without it being the single vision of one person. I generally think they're letting their opionion of JMS the man color their opinion of the show. because inevitably there are also complaints about the 'stand-alone' episodes and the weakness of the first season.

One of the issues I had with BSG is that they would have episodes about problems that made perfect sense, such as the black market, but the problem didn't build up, it just suddenly became the crisis of the week. With JMS as the single writer for much of B5, he was able to set things up weeks and months in advance. Most people see that as one of the show's major strengths.

Jan

Last edited by Jan; April 27 2009 at 02:25 AM.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote