The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 26 2009, 07:13 PM   #16
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Re: What if a BSG-styled remake of Babylon 5 was made?

Babylon 5 worked on so many different levels, setting many multiples of tones, depending. Heroic, gritty, noble, etc. I'm for more stories with the original cast at this time more than a remake, though a remake would be good at some point.

JMS is a very talented creator, but he does need someone to help keep his ego in check.
Old April 26 2009, 07:28 PM   #17
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Jan wrote: View Post
I don't think that Joss' banter/humor would lend itself well to B5. And while I agree with Tulin that a redone B5 could better show the scope and scale of B5, I'd hope that the new show would *not* follow the BSG style of space battles. B5 gave us a feeling for the strategy of the battles while BSG gave us shakey-cam shoot-em-ups.
Bullshit! Galactica laid out fairly detailed plans for every major battle in the show. The strategies were clever, and played out in interesting ways. How can you not love the Battle of New Caprica?

B5's CGI was a bunch of ass, there's a reason why Star Trek still used models in 1993. It got better with time, but seriously, video games on Xbox 360 look better than some of the early B5 stuff.

There's not much point to remaking B5, it was still really good, and it told its story. The CGI in the show strikes me as one of its biggest weak points, and really, they went through and redid FX shots in Star Trek: TOS, so you'd have to think they could fix B5 if they really wanted to. The actors were uneven to say the least, but by redoing the show it would be hard not to lose something as far as G'Kar and Londo are concerned. Then again, both of the white guy leads in B5 were pretty terrible in the acting department. I think done right, a complete recast would be a net gain.

If you did go to the trouble to completely redo the show, I'd just take the basic background and outline that JMS created, and completely kick JMS off the show. Let a talented team of writers (ones that can actually write dialogue) handle it from there. I don't know if I'm qualified to say who would be the best show runner for the reboot, but I KNOW it's not JMS.
Old April 26 2009, 08:08 PM   #18
RoJoHen
Awesome

I watched this show for the first time last summer. Since then, I have watched it straight through 2 additional times. I fell that much in love with it.

Now, I'm not saying that a reboot wouldn't be good and/or better than the original, but I honestly don't know how I would feel about it happening, especially with a darker BSG-type tone. One of the things that I loved about B5 was that there was still a light-hearted side to every character, even when times were tough. The same could not be said of BSG.

I feel like some of B5's charm would be lost if done in a different style.
Old April 26 2009, 08:56 PM   #19
Harvey
Admiral

A remake would need a bigger budget. More money to afford better visual effects, more money to afford a live orchestral score, and more money to afford everything from longer shooting hours, better guest actors, less clunky set design, etc.

I could pick apart story turns I didn't like, unfortunate cast departures, etc., but that's a different can of worms. Babylon 5 was great for what it was-- a science fiction epic made on a shoe-string budget. If you're going to make it again, do it with the money the concept deserves, or just leave it be, because the way the series used every single penny is unlikely to be repeated.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 08:56 PM   #20
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Joe Washington wrote: View Post
When I say a BSG-styled remake, I'm not just talking in terms of action. I'm talking in terms of realistic characters with human flaws and dimensions. Like, imagine Garibaldi being more like Colonel Tigh with both his drinking problem and his unwavering loyalty to his friend and CO.
not sure what you're getting at here - Garibaldi was a recovering alcoholic so while he didn't hit the turps like Tigh, Sinclair taking Garibaldi to B5 is exactly the same as Adama taking Tigh aboard Galatica. Maybe not the smartest move at the time but there as friendship, loyalty and a last chance as a major factor.

Haven't watched B5 in while but think Garibaldi might of even crawled back into the bottle (or maybe just came damn close).

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 09:00 PM   #21
miraclefan
Commodore

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
The only way that I would support a remake would be if we got to see JMS' original plot line (sans cast changes) put on screen.
I like this approach the most! plus, why not have a more muti-ethnic cast? I really doubt white people are going to be as ''prevalent'' in the future as they are now!

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 09:35 PM   #22
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Joe Washington wrote: View Post
What aspects of the original show would be changed in this remake? Which aspects would you rather be changed? How gritty do it think it would be? Would it take the same kind of risks in storytelling the way Battlestar Galactica did? Would be the relationships between the characters be portrayed more realistically and develop more organically? Would be the humor less chessy and more sharp and witty like Joss Whedon's brand of humor in his shows?

Let the discussion begin.
B5 was already pretty dark, what would be the point?

I thought most of the character developments in BSG were pretty forced in the last few seasons. Don't see any improvement there.

Not one of the better thought experiments.

RAMA
Old April 26 2009, 09:37 PM   #23
Dream
Admiral

Hell no. The last thing we need are the old timers bitching about how NuB5 sucks. We got more then enough of that with BSG to last several life times.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 09:38 PM   #24
miraclefan
Commodore

RAMA wrote: View Post

B5 was already pretty dark, what would be the point?

RAMA
^Not NU-BSG Dark!

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
Old April 26 2009, 09:39 PM   #25
miraclefan
Commodore

Dream wrote: View Post
Hell no. The last thing we need are the old timers bitching about how NuB5 sucks. We got more then enough of that with BSG to last several life times.
And don't forget about the old timer TREKKIES bitching about NU-TREK!

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
Old April 26 2009, 09:42 PM   #26
Mr Light
Admiral

To this day I still enjoy the B5 CGI, aside from the first season of course. It may not be as amazing as modern day stuff but in its own little reality it looks gorgeous.
And when were Adama and Roslin actively "hostile"?
At the end of season one he angrily ordered armed troops to storm Colonial One, arrest her at gunpoint, and throw her in the brig.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 09:54 PM   #27
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Yoda wrote: View Post
B5's CGI was a bunch of ass, there's a reason why Star Trek still used models in 1993. It got better with time, but seriously, video games on Xbox 360 look better than some of the early B5 stuff.
That would be because Foundation hadn't yet figured out how to make it look good. Nothing develops overnight---without all the work on B5, Trek would not have been able to switch to CGI when it did. The groundwork wouldn't have been there.

I'll admit the CGI is weak, but I don't understand the "damn those pioneers, why didn't they do as well as those with the fully-developed tech!?" mindset.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 10:03 PM   #28
miraclefan
Commodore

Lindley wrote: View Post

I'll admit the CGI is weak, but I don't understand the "damn those pioneers, why didn't they do as well as those with the fully-developed tech!?" mindset.
I don't understand that mindset either, I mean CGI had to start somewhere! these people that expect nbg cgi results on a show that pioneerd CGI in the first place is absurd!

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
Old April 26 2009, 10:23 PM   #29
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Here's an example of what could happen in the B5 remake: of course, all of your Babylon 5 fans know about the events of Midnight on the Firing Line. I felt the aftermath of the Ragesh 3 incident wasn't explored enough. We didn't see Londo's nephew after that episode. He just disappeared without a word and Londo never mentioned him either after that, which is odd since Londo seem to have cared about his nephew in that episode. So let's show in the first season how Londo's nephew dealing with what happened on Ragesh 3. Maybe he's suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. And what if it's the Ragesh 3 incident that prompts Morden's arrival on Babylon 5? He goes there under the guise of a reporter from Earth who wants to know more about the details of the incident and how the people on Babylon 5 feel about it, specifically the alien ambassadors. During each of his "interviews" with each ambassador, he makes an attempt to explore how their true desires are so the Shadows could use them to make that ambassador their puppet. Like in Signs and Portents, the ambassadors' responses will be the same including Londo's except this time, after getting to know Londo's nephew more and the pain he's going through, we feel for Londo more when he finally vents out his frustration about Ragesh 3 and the whole decaying state of the Centauri Republic to Morden.
Also, in this version, we see that one of the reasons why Londo spent time with Adira is to distract himself from his sorrow about his nephew and Ragesh 3. Because with her, he can forget that for a moment and only think about the happiness he feels with her. There would be a few times prior to her death that we see Londo checking up on her and sometimes communicating to her at long-distance when he feels so lonely and so trapped by the role he chose when he made his deal with the Shadows.
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 10:33 PM   #30
Candlefright
Admiral

Garibaldi would be a woman.

The Shadows would've been created by man.

The league of non-aligned worlds would be human colonies.

Not all dialogue would involved 'nuts' or 'straight to hell'.

Warren Keffer would be renamed Warren Sheridan.

Delenn would be a school teacher.