Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: Which Starfleet uniform do you enjoy the most?
TOS TV Show Uniform 33 11.11%
TOS: TMP Uniform 15 5.05%
TOS Movies 2-6 Uniform 74 24.92%
Early TNG Uniform 1 0.34%
TNG Season 3-7 Uniform 23 7.74%
Early DS9/Generations Uniform 16 5.39%
Late DS9/First Contact-Nemesis Uniform 108 36.36%
ST: Enterprise Uniform 27 9.09%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 25 2009, 11:07 PM   #31
NCC-1701-B
Fleet Captain

Re: What is your favorite Star Trek uniform?

Late DS9/First Contact-Nemesis Uniform. just pipped the voyager one

Hellooo...
NCC-1701-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 12:11 AM   #32
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

I voted for the late DS9 uniform but i did like the fact that the enterprise uniform had pockets.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 12:42 AM   #33
Vonstadt
Captain

Late DS9/First Contact-Nemesis Uniform was my favorite, looked like a proper utility uniform, though my second favorite was the old TOS uniforms from the 60's.

Vons
Old April 26 2009, 02:04 AM   #34
Jaespol
Captain

NCC-1701-B wrote: View Post
Late DS9/First Contact-Nemesis Uniform. just pipped the voyager one
GAH! You like the Voyager and DS9 ones!?
Jaespol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 02:48 AM   #35
Too Much Fun
Commodore

I can't believe so many people like the "Star Trek: The Next Generation" season 3-7 uniforms. I used to like them mostly because of nostalgia because they are the uniforms I grew up seeing, but I'm starting to think they're really ridiculous. The collars are just too high, and it sucks that Picard and Riker have to keep pulling them down because they're so awkwardly designed at the bottom of the shirt. I must be the only person who liked the season one uniform more - I just find that line around the chest much more pleasing aesthetically than the collars.

I loved the First Contact uniforms when I first saw them because it was the first TNG movie I saw and obviously a huge improvement in terms of design and richness of colour compared to the TV uniform, but I find myself disenchanted with those now. Part of the reason is because I'm getting sick of them having to see them on DS9 (just started watching it in the past year) and the grey is starting to look dull to me.

Now my favourite is the early DS9 uniform. I love how much more varied and colourful it makes the cast look, with the colours being highlighted more since they spread across the shoulders instead of just being mostly buried under the grey. However, after watching First Contact yesterday, I have to admit that for some reason Data looks a lot cooler in the grey uniform than he does in the one with the yellow shoulders. I think the best single uniforms (as in not worn by everyone, but just one person) are Picard's vest in First Contact, Kirk's green wraparound tunic, and Picard's jacket over grey shirt. All very unique, classy-looking, and absolutely perfect for their wearers.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 03:01 AM   #36
shivkala
Rear Admiral

sbk1234 wrote: View Post
I chose the ST 2 - 6 movie uniforms, but truthfully, the First Contact uniforms were a close second. Even now, my opinion is vascilating between the two.

And, yes, for women, the TOS miniskirts is the absolute winner. But that's my fetish.
I agree with you on all accounts!

The First Contact uniforms are great and make more sense for Starfleet than the ST 2-6 uniforms do. Others have pointed out that the latter are too "military" in style for a supposed exploratory/non-military group. However, I find them visually appealing and sharper looking than anything that preceded for followed them.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 03:09 AM   #37
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

I have always like the uniforms they were wearing in wrath of khan through to undiscovered country. i also like the uniforms that starfleet wears in the latter half of the 24 century(black and grey).
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2009, 05:03 AM   #38
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

TOS. Second choice would be ENT. Then DS9/VOY. The rest look uncomfortable and hot,.
Old April 27 2009, 05:12 AM   #39
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

No competition - Late DS9/First Contact-Nemesis Uniform
Old April 27 2009, 10:34 PM   #40
Saito S
Fleet Captain

Location: a world of keyboards, camaraderie, and caffeine. aka Nano 2014
Send a message via AIM to Saito S

Another vote for the First Contact/late DS9 unis. To me, they beat out all the other uniforms in both visual appeal and functionality (at least as far as we can assess the functionality of fictional uniforms used by a fictional organization hundreds of years in the future ). It looks very professional, and very sharp. And I do think that certain characters of the fairer sex (*cough*Ezri*cough*) do look particularly nice in it, as well. To quote Quark: "I love a woman in uniform!"

I do like both the early DS9/Voyager uniform and the TNG 3-7 uniform, also (although I never liked how stiff the collar looked on the latter). As for the 23rd century, the TWOK-TUC one isn't bad, but as others in this thread have said, it never looked right as a duty uniform. It had an almost civil war era flavor, with the stripes on the pants, the puffy white collar, and the decorations on the strap near the right shoulder. It would have been good as a dress uniform, with something a little more simple (and that didn't look so movement restricting) as the duty uniform.

The Enterprise uniform was certainly good in terms of looking right for it's time and setting. It still had a modern, NASA-esque quality to it, yet it looked just different enough to pass as something worn by Starfleet officers. And it does win for functionality, as well (actually, a couple of cargo pockets is something I've always thought would be a cool addition to the FC/DS9 black/gray uniform).

The worst uniforms are probably those ridiculous, no-collar, "stretched out one-piece" TNG season 1-2 ones, and those colorless, uber 70's, "PJs... in spaaaaaace" things from TMP.

The original TOS TV show uniform style is ok... it does look really dated to me, but it's not too bad. The main thing I didn't like about these was the low-cut top/miniskirt combo that every female officer was seen in past "The Cage". This is the exact opposite of the FC/late DS9 unis when it comes to female characters; it looked completely unprofessional and made no sense for a show set so far into the future. I know, I know... it was a result of when the show was made, but still.
Saito S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2009, 11:09 PM   #41
hellsgate
Commodore

First Contact & "Star Trek: Enterprise".
hellsgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2009, 07:57 PM   #42
ToddKent
Captain

View ToddKent's Twitter Profile

I voted for the early DS9/VOY uniforms.

Here's how I see it:

TOS/TNG uniforms - too much color
FC uniforms - not enough color
DS9/VOY - just right.
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2009, 08:41 PM   #43
pajamahead
Lieutenant Junior Grade

In order of likey:
TOS Movies 2-6 Uniform
FC/INS/NEM version.
TOS TV Show Uniform
TNG Season 3-7 Uniform
XI
pajamahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2009, 08:45 PM   #44
KimMH
Rear Admiral

funny - our bookclub is discussing the uniforms right now. I voted the TOS unis - it's been indicated in our group that lack of pockets was fixed by magnatomical attachment of implements like phasers / tri-corders and such. I'm not completely convinced but for the sake of esthetic the TOS are the most streamlined and comfy looking. TNGers were always adjusting thier unis. seemed a little irksome - saving the galaxy - right after we unrumple!

Second choice is ENT's unis. Very utilitarian looking - even if they are jumpsuits - I suppose no one in space ever has restroom emergencies!?!?!? Of course not - they all practice bio-contiol - how silly of me . . .
Old April 28 2009, 08:52 PM   #45
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

Does anyone here like the uniforms from the future in all good things?
Thought they was ok but again no pockets.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote