Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the pilot...
Excellent 74 35.58%
Above Average 89 42.79%
Average 27 12.98%
Below Average 9 4.33%
Poor 9 4.33%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 25 2009, 07:49 AM   #196
Stanley
Lieutenant

Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

You know, somebody equipped Ben and encouraged him to do what he did. And that makes me wonder, did Zoe really figure out the creation of true artificial intelligence, or did somebody help her out as well.
Old April 25 2009, 09:51 AM   #197
Nays
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Stanley wrote: View Post
You know, somebody equipped Ben and encouraged him to do what he did. And that makes me wonder, did Zoe really figure out the creation of true artificial intelligence, or did somebody help her out as well.
See thats kind of the problem I have with the "God did it" BSG revelation. It causes every act that leads up to the destruction of the colonies to be possibly associated with "god". It could be argued either way that Zoe invented true AI or god used her to invent the AI.

*shrug*
Old April 25 2009, 04:00 PM   #198
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Nays wrote: View Post
Stanley wrote: View Post
See thats kind of the problem I have with the "God did it" BSG revelation. It causes every act that leads up to the destruction of the colonies to be possibly associated with "god". It could be argued either way that Zoe invented true AI or god used her to invent the AI.

*shrug*
This actually makes it more interesting to me.

How is that any different from real life?

Am I responsible for my own actions, or is there some greater power at work here?
Old April 25 2009, 04:44 PM   #199
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

It had to be Sister Clarice who helped Ben get what he needed. Listen to her words very carefully the last time she speaks with Lacy. Zoe was very special to us....is.....

Why does she add "is?" I'm still holding on to my apocalyptic visions theory with her. She's guilty as sin. She may think she's furthering along "God's" plan.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old April 25 2009, 05:00 PM   #200
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
It had to be Sister Clarice who helped Ben get what he needed. Listen to her words very carefully the last time she speaks with Lacy. Zoe was very special to us....is.....

Why does she add "is?" I'm still holding on to my apocalyptic visions theory with her. She's guilty as sin. She may think she's furthering along "God's" plan.
Also, she seems to be in on Zoe's plan, whatever that is. That she suggested to Lacy to visit the V-club again after Zoes death, tells me she new about her avatar and wanted Lacy to find her.

This is of course further strengthened in that deleted scene where...
Old April 25 2009, 05:05 PM   #201
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I thought I saw a snippet of a deleted scene of Clarice in the v-club on the first "Caprica preview" on youtube. Oh yeah, that woman is in it up to her neck. I agree with you. She knew about Zoe's avatar and wanted to put it to malevolent use. Obviously Zoe didn't know what was about to happen. Her reaction to Ben opening his coat was one of fear.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old April 25 2009, 06:06 PM   #202
Stanley
Lieutenant

Nays wrote: View Post
See thats kind of the problem I have with the "God did it" BSG revelation.
When I wrote "somebody" I didn't mean God. I meant Sister Clarice or someone in her organization.

She told Lacy that Ben's act was premature and unauthorized. Was she lying, or is there another faction in Soldiers of the One who got Ben his suicide vest?
Old April 25 2009, 11:08 PM   #203
SPF
Ensign

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Jim Steele wrote: View Post
Using the word "notion" is pretentious?

I missed that meeting.
When used as a constant replacement for the other word, yes.

Says someone with the location of "Sol III."

Anyway, I just saw it and was surprised. I loved loved loved BSG but I had really very low expectations for this show. I gave it an above average but not excellent. It was far better than what I had anticipated but I'm imagining that it will really grow into it's own. I mean, BSG grew and developed its style quite a bit over the years.

I'm really eager to see what they do with a series.
Old April 25 2009, 11:22 PM   #204
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

It's so nice to know we can still have discussion and differing opinions here, and don't have people bashing other posters just because they don't care for lesser shows.

Oh wait. That's what, four people already, who are bashing me simply because the show sucked and I said so? And wasn't it just a couple days ago when someone was talking in MA saying the mods are so quick to silence that kind of stuff. Mmm hmmm.

Sorry, I thought - and this is just my opinion - Caprica was pathetic. The writing was lousy and the acting wasn't any better. Only one person in the entire thing could act, and as they said in the commentary, most of her stuff was left on the cutting room floor, so she was less obvious as the villain.
Old April 26 2009, 04:58 AM   #205
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Oh wait. That's what, four people already, who are bashing me simply because the show sucked and I said so?
No one has responded to your thoughts on "Caprica."

Anyone who responded to your post was responding to your very pretentious sounding accusation that Ronald Moore is pretentious.
Old April 26 2009, 09:31 AM   #206
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Oh wait. That's what, four people already, who are bashing me simply because the show sucked and I said so
When exactly did this happen?
Old April 26 2009, 08:31 PM   #207
Maestro
Vice Admiral

Now that I finally got to see it, I really liked it. I think it sets up a lot of things we saw in BSG, and might lead to a lot of explanations that didn't get handled during Season 4 of BSG.

I really wanna see where these Geminons are getting the One true God stuff from, and what goes on with Zoe-Cylon in relationship to that. Will she end up being the Cylon God? Will her father? Will Leonard Nimoy?
Old April 26 2009, 09:05 PM   #208
Magisterfrodo
Vice Admiral

Gregsmack wrote: View Post

True. If Willy is 12 in 'Caprica' that makes him 70 during the holocaust. Cylon technology may only be 20 years away from their revolt.
I think it's closer than that. I thought I remembered that the first Cylon War last ten years. Can anyone confirm that?

If that's the case, then we're only about 8 years from its beginning.

Also, I don't think Zoe's personality will be in every Cylon. The model at the end in the test did not have her personality, I don't think. I don't think it was the same armor suit that Zoe was downloaded into. I think she may be their initial elader, giving them the belief in one, true God. She may even be the leader throughout the first war, and the Final Five negotiate with her to end the War, prmoising to provide real, human bodies, which she hasn't been able to achieve on her own. She names one of them "Daniel".
Old April 27 2009, 02:26 AM   #209
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Frakkin Netflix hasn't kicked loose my DVD yet, so I'm not reading this thread but I came across this headline at the Boston Globe and it cracked me up.

Battlestar prequel brings back the doom.

With PR like that, people wonder why the ratings suck?
Old April 27 2009, 02:36 AM   #210
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Wasn't the end of the first cylon war and the destruction of the colonies 40 years apart?

-Chris