Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the pilot...
Excellent 74 35.58%
Above Average 89 42.79%
Average 27 12.98%
Below Average 9 4.33%
Poor 9 4.33%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 23 2009, 04:45 PM   #181
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

[QUOTE=backstept;2862209]
cultcross wrote: View Post
Greystone is a famous inventor sort of like Steve Jobs

That would explain touch wheel interface for the holo-band tech...lol

-Chris
Old April 23 2009, 06:42 PM   #182
Raz
Rear Admiral

Just watched this last night. Didn't have the greatest of expectations.

I came away surprised and wanting to see where they would take it. Probably to really depressing places if BSG is any indication, followed by a deus ex machina

But yeah. A couple of really good parts, and for what it's worth I disagree with whoever said the Zoe actor was wooden.

Didn't mind the gratuitous v-club scenes at all. Makes total sense, the first thing you do with that technology is make one giant interactive sex club. If anyone has any illusions about what will happen if virtual reality ever really catches on, they're being naieve. Hell, this sort of crap happens right now in mmorpg's and second life.
Old April 23 2009, 06:44 PM   #183
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Raz wrote: View Post
But yeah. A couple of really good parts, and for what it's worth I disagree with whoever said the Zoe actor was wooden.
Agreed.

She's not great, but she's not bad. After whatever review I read, I was expecting the worst.
Old April 23 2009, 06:46 PM   #184
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post
Oh and finally: Turns out Bill Adama was 47 years old as of the miniseries, and therefore just 51 in Daybreak. I thought he was older than that... I would have guessed around 58-60 (i.e. 54-58 in the mini)
Eh? Bill is 11 in Caprica, and it's set 58 years before the Fall. So at the time of the Cylon attack against the colonies, he was 58+11=69 years old.
Well, if Joseph Adams lied about (and changed) his last name, maybe he lied about (and changed) Bill Adama's age, too.
Old April 23 2009, 07:44 PM   #185
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Meh. I thought it was crap. I'm VERY annoyed with Ron Moore's commentaries these days. It seems as though he looked through a thesaurus and decided he would forever more substitute "notion" for "idea" ... Just about every 10 minutes, he says something to the effect of "I had a notion of" or "The notion came to me" and I want to shake him and yell "The word is idea, you pretentious fuck!"

Ugh.

Listening to him, he is a completely pretentious douche, and he has this cult surrounding him, constantly telling him he's the greatest writer ever. Well, he's not.

The writing was sloppy, the acting stilted, with one exception - Polly Walker (Atia from Rome). The only bit of even slightly "cool" thing was seeling the feet of the cylon - they were the same shape as a battlestar.

Now, the music wasn't bad. The fx were generally decent, though a few times it seems like they did a rush job and were sloppy with it.

The entire concept of the v club was moronic, and the "oh, let's show boobies!" bit was just juvenile, at best.

Could the characters have been bigger cliches? Adama working for the mob? Seriously? The white guy being the rich, powerful know-it-all evil dude? The "genius" teenager who fucks up ... well, the world?

Is this seriously the best they could do? If so, it's time to let Moore and his cult go and bring in some fresh writers and producers.
Old April 24 2009, 02:04 AM   #186
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
...I want to shake him and yell "The word is idea, you pretentious fuck!"

Ugh.

Listening to him, he is a completely pretentious douche...
Somebody here is.
Old April 24 2009, 03:13 AM   #187
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I enjoyed it a lot. They need to cut a little bit from the V-club at the start because that went on a little bit too long. Still, nudity can always be fun.

The acting was top notch. Adama and Greystone are fantastically portrayed and they'll be ace characters together. I certianly liked seeing William B. Davis as well.

I was kind of hoping for a bigger twist at the end but then again it's only supposed to be a "wait 'til next week" cliffhanger as opposed to "wait 'til 2010!" I'm looking forward to the show.

Also, the Cylon just decimating at the end was awesome!
Old April 24 2009, 06:46 AM   #188
Saul
Rear Admiral

I too enjoyed it a lot. More than the BSG mini series. I liked the characters and the acting. I think the show has promise as it's focused on the human drama aspect and that's what it set out to do. I am happy to watch how this unfolds and with less money being spent on effects we may see this stay on the air a while.
Old April 24 2009, 07:49 AM   #189
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Using the word "notion" is pretentious?

I missed that meeting.
Old April 24 2009, 07:50 AM   #190
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Meh, average.

I'll see where it goes, but I'm not betting on more than 1 season.
Old April 24 2009, 02:04 PM   #191
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Jim Steele wrote: View Post

I missed that meeting.
When used as a constant replacement for the other word, yes.
Old April 24 2009, 04:09 PM   #192
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Edit: on second thought, I really don't care.
Old April 24 2009, 07:35 PM   #193
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Jim Steele wrote: View Post

I missed that meeting.
When used as a constant replacement for the other word, yes.
He says idea quite alot as well. If he didn't substitute it with notion half much of the time, it would sound like he's saying "idea" too much.

Wait... are we really arguing about this? God you're wierd.
Old April 25 2009, 03:51 AM   #194
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Frakking excellent!

I wasn't sure what to expect but needless to say, I'm hooked and ready for more. That was a very effective and compelling pilot. It took a little while for me to get into it, the FX early on was shaky, and the actors mumble ten times the amount of times on Caprica than BSG. But then it got going and became very compelling the the themes it raised. Well-acted, well-written, and well-scored.

Both leads were compelling. You can sympathize with both Daniel and Joe and know what they are doing is so wrong. Of course, this being Battlestar Galactica, there's no way Bill Adama's father could have been normal. I found Adama's background as a mob lawyer and his Tauron heritage fascinating. Some very nice callbacks to BSG with Pyramid and the reworked classic BSG theme at the end.

What we learned about the Taurons does tie-in to the little we discovered from BSG. In "Hero", the cover story Adama and Bulldog used for the Cylon spy mission was that they were spying on Tauron rebels who had a history of giving the Fleet Admiralty problems. Not to mention Cain was from Tauron, which should explain why she's so frakked up.

Seeing the development of the Cylons was just plain awesome. I'm very, very pleased with this pilot.
Old April 25 2009, 04:49 AM   #195
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Haven't read the whole thread but how about those deleted scenes? Each of them were important, featuring either deleted plot points or potential future storylines.