Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old April 18 2009, 03:39 PM   #1591
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile
Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

One would have thought getting beaten 4-0, and playing Christopher Samba up front would have been embarrassing enough.
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2009, 10:10 PM   #1592
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Wow. Almost had a damn heart attack watching Arsenal Liverpool. And Andrey Arshavin, man what player. Worth every pound, dollar, ruble, euro or whatever currency was paid to bring him in.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2009, 10:57 PM   #1593
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile

H-O-LEE MOLEY that was a crackin match. Arshavin almost single handedly saved us there. I say almost because despite being under serious pressure for just about all of the game the lads never gave up. Nasri and Fabianski also put in astonishing shifts. Credit to Walcot for spotting Arshavin breaking.

If you'll excuse me I'm off to write an ode to Arshavin, what a way to mark Anfield '89.
Old April 21 2009, 11:16 PM   #1594
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I'm nominating it for game of the season. Absolutely incredible.
Old April 21 2009, 11:38 PM   #1595
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

Unbelievable match. Liverpool dominant throughout, but Arshavin was on hand to put away all their chances. I just hope he can do it against Man United.
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2009, 07:15 AM   #1596
Hermiod
Admiral

Dear Arsenal Football Club,

This is a regulation Association Football goal.

The purpose of defending is to prevent the ball from entering the goal. The purpose of defending is not, however, to pass the ball straight to the opposition in dangerous positions.

Yours sincerely,

Hermiod
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2009, 04:42 PM   #1597
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Dear Arsenal Football Club,

This is a regulation Association Football goal.
Ha!

In fairness, over the last couple of outings, it was a make shift back 4 or 5 where a normally solid goal keeper lost his mind, a normally excellent right back cleared a ball that caused a goal, and a broken United cast off who is very short of games did about what I expected him to - play poorly.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2009, 08:02 AM   #1598
Hermiod
Admiral

Roy Keane is the new manager of Ipswich.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2009, 10:04 AM   #1599
Starkers
Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Roy Keane is the new manager of Ipswich.
I didn't see that coming! Be interesting to see how he does. Had a very positive effect on Sunderland at Championship level, and did keep them up their first year (but only having spent about £50million!) but didn't seem that comfortable this year.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2009, 03:57 PM   #1600
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Southampton have been penalised for putting their holding company into administration and will definitely be playing in League One in August. I don't wish such things upon them, but this deduction had to happen to stop the whole system being a laughing stock again.

So only one relegation spot left for Barnsley, Forest, Norwich or Plymouth (at an outside chance) to fill.
Old April 23 2009, 04:14 PM   #1601
Starkers
Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
Southampton have been penalised for putting their holding company into administration and will definitely be playing in League One in August. I don't wish such things upon them, but this deduction had to happen to stop the whole system being a laughing stock again.

So only one relegation spot left for Barnsley, Forest, Norwich or Plymouth (at an outside chance) to fill.
I hate to say it but Derby are at the edge of that list as well.

Are southampton being docked the points this season not next then?
Old April 23 2009, 05:40 PM   #1602
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Apparently it depends on where they finish. If they escape the drop, they get the -10 this season so will get relegated anyway. If they finish in the relegation zone, they get the penalty next season. I believe the rule was brought in due to Leeds going into administration right at the end of the season in 2007 to avoid having the penalty in League One, which they were 99% likely to drop into by that time anyway.
Old April 24 2009, 08:31 AM   #1603
Starkers
Admiral

Well I guess the aim is to finish outside the bottom three this season but I doubt they will now so it's 10 points next season. It does make sense because it can be exploited but it's a bit of a kicker as well.
Old April 24 2009, 10:02 AM   #1604
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

I find it hard to have any sympathy for Southampton due to their bitterness after the playoffs a few years ago.

Derby are on the edge of the list, but I doubt we'll have too much trouble. All of the other teams below us need to get points with us getting none. Personally, I think we'll beat Charlton tomorrow and then it doesn't matter either way.

Roy Keane at Ipswich, not so sure that's a great idea. Seems to have questionable man-management skills and really only achieved anything at Sunderland after spending £80m and having Niall Quinn's unconditional support. He won't have anything like that at Ipswich. I'm surprised he's taken that job to be honest.
Old April 24 2009, 10:30 AM   #1605
Starkers
Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
I find it hard to have any sympathy for Southampton due to their bitterness after the playoffs a few years ago.

Derby are on the edge of the list, but I doubt we'll have too much trouble. All of the other teams below us need to get points with us getting none. Personally, I think we'll beat Charlton tomorrow and then it doesn't matter either way.

Roy Keane at Ipswich, not so sure that's a great idea. Seems to have questionable man-management skills and really only achieved anything at Sunderland after spending £80m and having Niall Quinn's unconditional support. He won't have anything like that at Ipswich. I'm surprised he's taken that job to be honest.
Well it is unlikely, but unfortunately not impossible. I reckon we'll probably get a point against Charlton tomorrow and someone else will slip up making it academic.

I thought Keane did an ok job to get Sunderland promoted. I don't think he spent too much getting them up (although he got some nice loan players from Utd if I recall correctly) it was after promotion that he went spend crazy (but he did keep them up remember.)