RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,683
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 433
Newest member: Enabran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the pilot...
Excellent 74 35.58%
Above Average 89 42.79%
Average 27 12.98%
Below Average 9 4.33%
Poor 9 4.33%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 20 2009, 08:57 AM   #91
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi
Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

omigod a Brady Bunch reference!
And you do know I was kidding, dear, don't you?

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Old April 20 2009, 09:14 AM   #92
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Zoe good.
Cousin Oliver bad.
Even in jest.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old April 20 2009, 06:02 PM   #93
Tom
Rear Admiral

[QUOTE=Dorian Thompson;2848956]
Originally Posted by FleetLord

Besides, if holobands are still in use by the human population at all by that time (I suspect not--the colonials looked "backwards" in technology because they were afraid of their enemies--holobands might have become passé or hated) I'm sure they didn't go home to grab their holobands when they were panicking to find escape ships as the nukes were falling. You'd grab your child before your holoband.
Agreed, but we also dealt with the high tech networked Pegasus for a while not just the old Galactica, so i would imagine that they were banned, probably after the 1st war. Still the digital paper should have been around one would think, or were the colonials afraid of that too after the war and banned it.

Looking at Galactica, it was built after Caprica, yet it seems decades before Caprica with its bulky phones etc.. Had the colonials regressed that much due to the war? Just my opinion.
Old April 20 2009, 06:21 PM   #94
ATimson
Rear Admiral

FleetLord wrote: View Post
Still the digital paper should have been around one would think, or were the colonials afraid of that too after the war and banned it.
Assuming that the paper is just a display/interface, and doesn't contain the computer proper, you wouldn't have seen the digital paper aboard Galactica herself; it would require wireless networking to operate.

You might see it aboard other ships, but probably not aboard something like Colonial One, where there wouldn't have been any existing infrastructure for the paper to work with (being the equivalent of a jumbo jet).

FleetLord wrote: View Post
Looking at Galactica, it was built after Caprica, yet it seems decades before Caprica with its bulky phones etc.. Had the colonials regressed that much due to the war?
They had to regress their technology; anything with an exposed network (especially wireless) could be exploited by the Cylons.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old April 20 2009, 07:57 PM   #95
What's his face
Rear Admiral

Just saw it today. VERY VERY Good. I can't wait for the first season to start.

I always wanted to learn more about the 12 Colonies' society, religion, politics and culture. It's good that we finally will get that chance.
Old April 21 2009, 04:25 AM   #96
hxclespaulplayer
Commander

Avg-above avg. Turned out a lot better than what I thought it would. But that Tauron-mafia guy turned out such a cliched performance.
Old April 21 2009, 01:26 PM   #97
bryce
Commodore

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce

Perhaps the holobands and the electronic paper* both require a planet (or even system wide ubiquitous wireless network to operate...and this network would have been outlawed/dismantled during the war (being a vulnerability to Cylon penetration....)

*(e-paper, in a more advanced form, ideally, would contain it's own processing power - vastly greater than todays desktops/laptops/iphones - but maybe the colonies were at that level of MEMS/nanotech yet...)
Old April 21 2009, 03:41 PM   #98
cultcross
Say my name...

Thought it was really quite good. I'm going to give it an 'Above Average' rather than 'Excellent' because it didn't blow me away, BSG miniseries style, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless. Really looking forward to the series starting proper. The 'kid' actors were actually half decent for once, and the only exception got blown up in the first 10 minutes, so I'm happy! Wasn't so keen on the Principal character, she seemed wooden. Otherwise, happy with the cast so far.
The mafia thing's a bit clichéd, but hopefully that will turn into something worth having. The whole Greystone thing was my favourtie part of the show, the family, Daniel discovering the v-club and the v-Zoe. It was very interesting seeing his reactions and his drive to 'save' her.

Oh, and finally, a species has holodecks and actually uses them for what holodecks would actualy be used for. Realism +1
Old April 21 2009, 11:21 PM   #99
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

cultcross wrote: View Post
Oh, and finally, a species has holodecks and actually uses them for what holodecks would actualy be used for. Realism +1
Not Holodecks, VR. And it's use made sense, sort of, but was extremely unimaginative. The great thing about DNI VR is the ability to be anyone. Having your body as a standard Avatar may make sense from the perspective of a businessman who will be using the technology to go to virtual meetings, but the average user would choose something less literal and more symbolic, at least to utilize the anonymity or pseudonymity potentially provided by a global computer network. But the underground, it would have avatars that don't even remotely resemble humans. The V Club should have been filled with furries and anime characters, among other things.

The great thing about DNI VR is the ability to literally become someone that you could never be in real life, to experience sensory input that the human body is unable to produce. The blind would be able to see, the deaf would be able to hear, and a lot of people would know what it feels like to be a hermaphroditic griffin five penises and two vaginas. Or a robot tank with a 120mm cannon, five metallic penises, and two vaginas.

I can understand that they probably lacked a hermaphrodite griffin budget and they probably wouldn't be able to get five penises past the censors, but they could have at least had a couple of cell-shaded background characters.

The part where they shoot each other for fun was a bit silly, considering that any civilization with that technology is likely to have a VR version of Counterstrike. Mass marketed games is one of the most obvious applications of the technology.

I do believe that the social ramification of such technology warrants further exploration, and hope they will in future episodes, perhaps they'll even save up a decent hermaphrodite griffin budget in the future.
Old April 22 2009, 01:16 AM   #100
alicelouise
Commander

Anyone notice that that if you mixed the Greystones and Adamas an offspring would look look an awful lot like Lee "Apollo" Adama?
Old April 22 2009, 01:30 AM   #101
ATimson
Rear Admiral

alicelouise wrote: View Post
Anyone notice that that if you mixed the Greystones and Adamas an offspring would look look an awful lot like Lee "Apollo" Adama?
ATimson wrote: View Post
Is it just me, though, or does Daniel Greystone sound (and even a little look) like an older Lee Adama? Could Carolanne be Carolanne Greystone?

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old April 22 2009, 02:13 AM   #102
Kokomo
Commander

Were there any Colonial Vipers seen in the DVD? Any Mark I's?
Old April 22 2009, 02:19 AM   #103
Michael Chris
Admiral

Ok, so I just started this thing. What is up with the debauchery in this? Can someone tell me if this continues past the beginning? I want to watch it but not if it is like the beginning. Ugh.

This a huge a disappointment.
Old April 22 2009, 02:26 AM   #104
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Michael Chris wrote: View Post
Ok, so I just started this thing. What is up with the debauchery in this? Can someone tell me if this continues past the beginning? I want to watch it but not if it is like the beginning. Ugh.

This a huge a disappointment.

No it doesn't. I'm about 30 minutes into it. The holotech is sort of like Cylon projection.

-Chris
Old April 22 2009, 02:29 AM   #105
Michael Chris
Admiral

Doesn't continue past the beginning?