Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old April 17 2009, 06:52 PM   #16
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: DS9 Versus: A viewing experient

neogothboy74 wrote: View Post
The Chain of Command 2 parter was initially meant as a crossover with DS9. The Ferengi that Crusher seduces with her possible 'gratefullness' was written as Quark, but then it became clear that these episodes would air before DS9 started and the role was rewritten as another character.
I had no idea!

On the one hand, that would have been pretty cool. On the other, it might have made the universe feel smaller.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 04:37 AM   #17
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee

The Chain of Command 2 parter was initially meant as a crossover with DS9... but then it became clear that these episodes would air before DS9 started
Interesting, although the way it all played out, it was probably best that they did CoC first. It left TNG ending '92 on an incredible dramatic high, and I'm sure the Trek audience were ready to lap up anything the franchise threw at them next. Fortunately, Emissary didn't disappoint.

WEEK 6:
(Ending 02.07.93)
TNG: Aquiel (Airdate 02.01.93)
DS9: Q-Less (Airdate 02.07.93)

Well. It's one thing for one show to have a weak episode in a week, but BOTH shows?

One's a murder mystery that, despite some nice little moments and early intrigue, sadly becomes all-too pedestrian and predictable -they oversold Aquiel as the potential killer, so the big reveal of 'pooch' being the Evil Peanut was hardly surprising.

The other's a light-hearted Q romp, with a station-jeopardy b-plot, the second one in two weeks. This one too is quite obvious (the beautiful object from the Gamma Quadrant was the cause? No wai!), and overly technobabbly. Q's scene with Sisko is classic, of course, but overall I'm not sure there were many looking for a follow-up to Vash's storyline.

Who wins, then? Eh, DS9, I guess. Personally, I'm more fond of the mysterious energy alien than the Evil Peanut alien. To paraphrase Q, it filled me with a sense of... wonder.

Weekly Winner
DS9

Next: Week 7
TNG - Face Of The Enemy
DS9 - Dax
Old April 21 2009, 04:50 AM   #18
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Ugh. Finals and hockey playoffs: not a good combination. But with one of those out of the way, time to get Trek'in again.

WEEK 7:
(Ending 02.14.93)
TNG: Face Of The Enemy (Airdate 02.08.93)
DS9: Dax (Airdate 02.14.93)

Who'd have thought a Troi centered episode could have been so good, eh? But then, it's not really about Troi, but rather the Romulans which this one's about -and probably amongst the best Romulan episodes from the entire franchise. I'd certainly rate it tops amongst TNG's. It's always fascinating to get a look from the 'other viewscreen'. Even the scenes with DeSeve are insightful.

Of course, what really elevates Face Of The Enemy is the high-stakes espionage plot (it certainly doesn't hurt they name-drop Spock's dissident movement either), giving it the feel of a real Event Episode. In comparison, Dax comes off small and quaint. DS9's offering for the week was by no means a weak show, but I'm not sure folks were up for a Jadzia Dax/Trill-backstory courtroom drama so early in the series' run -the character just didn't have much exposure up to this point, sadly. If anything, Dax is a MUCH better episode once you've watched all seven seasons (the final line becomes incredibly tragic), but during first run and compared to Face..., just a little too self-contained to really stand out.

Therefore, TNG takes this week, its first victory. Hmm... glancing next week, I don't think it's going to be the last. DS9 in re-runs so soon?

Weekly Winner
TNG

Next: Week 8
TNG - Tapestry
Old April 21 2009, 07:22 AM   #19
Praetor
Vice Admiral

'Dax' could have been the defining episode for Jadzia. Sadly, it was mediocre.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old April 22 2009, 01:17 AM   #20
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

That was about where my initial interest in DS9 faltered. I don't even remember watching the episode, though I still recall TNG's shows from the time. I wonder if it was the same for others.

WEEK 8:
(Ending 02.21.93)
TNG: Tapestry (Airdate 02.15.93)

Twilight Zone much? Heh, as far as backstory/what-ifs go, this is definitely a great one. A solo Picard outing, in more ways than one -TNG was the only new episode for the week, and offered one of the strongest shows of the season. It's strange that there wouldn't be a new DS9 during February sweeps, though considering what they had in the pipeline...

Both shows have new episodes for the next week, but there's another new sci-fi show appearing as well. Some sort of TV-movie premiere about a space station. Perhaps you've heard of it?

Weekly Winner
TNG

Next: Week 9
TNG - Birthright: Part I
DS9 - The Passenger
B5 - The Gathering
Old April 22 2009, 04:02 AM   #21
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Sykonee wrote: View Post
That was about where my initial interest in DS9 faltered. I don't even remember watching the episode, though I still recall TNG's shows from the time. I wonder if it was the same for others.
I know it was for me... I kept watching (mostly because of the TNG lead-in) but I wasn't very interested for a while. 'The Passenger' made no ripples in my opinion.
Old April 24 2009, 02:58 AM   #22
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

WEEK 9: (Ending 02.28.93)
TNG: Birthright, Part 1 (Airdate 02.22.93)
DS9:The Passenger (Airdate 02.22.93)
B5: The Gathering (Airdate 02.22.93)

Just in case you'd forgotten, there's another Trek show on, so here's a TNG episode that takes place at DS9 to remind you. The crossover seems rather pointless, though, as a story about Data learning to dream and Worf looking for his father could have taken place anywhere. Even Siddig's guest star could have been anyone. If you're gonna doing a series crossover, how's about some more characters, eh? A follow-up Picard/Sisko scene, Riker at Quark's, just somethin', huh? Ah well, Data's story was nice enough, certainly better than DS9's episode.

Yeah, what on Earth happened with The Passenger? If TNG wanted to remind the audience about DS9, this episode probably wasn't the best one to follow-up with. The Odo/Primmin stuff was good but unfortunately treated as an afterthought to the Vantika stuff, which was overwrought at best and hokey at worst. As a funny aside, although I realize there's no official Stardate for The Passenger, if we're to take the airdates of these episodes as roughly the same chronology, then poor Dr. Bashir had one crazy day: first nearly kills Data, gets him to dream, gets to write a paper about it that would obviously give him huge exposure, saves another from death (as per some dialog at the beginning of The Passenger), then becomes possessed by an EEVVIILLLL scientist. Heck, that's one wild week, even!

Meanwhile, in an entirely different universe, a bunch of ambassador aliens are gathering at a space station called Babylon 5, one of which is the victim of an assassination attempt. After a bunch of investigations, hi-jinx, courtroom drama, and shoot-outs/stand-offs, things are mostly resolved, though with a few questions left unanswered. But hey, gets you intrigued for when the show's first season starts, right? (er, in nearly a year, that is) As a pilot movie, The Gathering is actually quite good. Maybe not as good a DS9's, but certainly better than TNG's. If anything, the cast of characters make a strong impression. Peter Jurasik, even with the relatively minor role Londo has in this premiere, was excellent!

DS9 obviously loses out on this week, and as pleasant as the Data storyline was in Birthright, TNG's episode still feels... incomplete. Obviously, the fact it's the first of a two-parter doesn't help, perhaps is even a detriment. After all, aren't TNG's two-parters usually more... epic? The Gathering certainly was, though, so sorry Data fans, but B5's first versus takes this week's crown.

Weekly Winner
B5

Next: Week 10
TNG - Birthright: Part 2
Old April 27 2009, 04:53 AM   #23
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

WEEK 10: (Ending 03.07.93)
TNG: Birthright, Part 2 (Airdate 03.01.93)

Rather quiet week here, with a Worf character story, and not much else. Actually, I've always found this episode to be one of Worf's stronger solo outings, in that writer Echevarria got a chance to really expand on Klingon culture. And Dorn certainly seemed up for the chance to do a Worf show that didn't involve big combat, comedic kid stuff, or political drama for a change.

TNG takes the week since it was on its own, but now the show goes into repeats, with DS9 coming back with solo outings again. But... uh oh... the next couple aren't exactly highlights...

Weekly Winner
TNG

Next: Week 11
DS9 - Move Along Home
Old April 27 2009, 04:58 AM   #24
Vulcan Princess
Rear Admiral

View Vulcan Princess's Twitter Profile

I'm enjoying this thread. It will be interesting to see what you come up with once the shows are consistently running concurrent episodes.
Old April 27 2009, 08:11 AM   #25
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

Praetor wrote: View Post
As much as I personally liked Dax (I like episodes that depend on verbal sparring instead of the physical kind), I have to agree that it could have been a good episode for Jadzia. That's definitely the biggest mistake the writers made with her character - they focus so much more on the Dax part of her than the Jadzia. The most we learn about Jadzia as an individual is a throw-away line about her sister. Everything else is about Dax - Lela, Tobin, Emony, Audrid, Torias, Joran, and Curzon, especially the later get more development than poor Jadzia. They may correct the mistake with Ezri, but it's still a sad commentary for Jadzia.
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2009, 06:37 PM   #26
Praetor
Vice Admiral

DGCatAniSiri wrote: View Post
Praetor wrote: View Post
As much as I personally liked Dax (I like episodes that depend on verbal sparring instead of the physical kind), I have to agree that it could have been a good episode for Jadzia. That's definitely the biggest mistake the writers made with her character - they focus so much more on the Dax part of her than the Jadzia. The most we learn about Jadzia as an individual is a throw-away line about her sister. Everything else is about Dax - Lela, Tobin, Emony, Audrid, Torias, Joran, and Curzon, especially the later get more development than poor Jadzia. They may correct the mistake with Ezri, but it's still a sad commentary for Jadzia.
Well said.

Sykonee wrote: View Post
Next: Week 11
DS9 - Move Along Home
Oh, joy... my favorite episode.
Old April 29 2009, 07:26 AM   #27
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Week 11: (Ending 03.14.93)
DS9: Move Along Home (Airdate 03.14.93)

So imagine this scenario.

Trek's been doing great for the last few years when a new series set on a space station called Deep Space Nine makes its debut, and even manages to get your attention with a string of strong episodes right out of the gate. However, once TNG -the franchise's standard bearer now that TOS has finally 'retired'- comes back from winter re-runs, the new show's rough edges begin to show in comparison. TNG was a well-oiled machine firing on all cylinders through most of February, while DS9... well, wasn't. But hey, that initial run of episodes still showed some potential promise, and now that DS9 has a chance to stand on its own for a little while again now that TNG's back in re-runs, surely they'll release some killer episodes to convince a hesitant audience that might not be quite sold on DS9 yet.

Instead, we get Move Along Home. Problems with this include:
-main characters whom we've yet to really get attached to yet (Sisko, Dax, and Bashir were all notoriously hard sells early on) put into over-long, extended puzzle/danger situations
-the danger-drama scenario ends with the big "it's just a game" cop-out, leading the audience to feel gypped they invested any concern for these characters in the first place
-Quark in far too many early-series groveling scenes
-Kira in an extra bitchy mood (understandable, true, but boy does she grate in this episode)
-the Wadi themselves (for the record, I actually enjoy the level of detail the producers put into creating the culture -I just know many others didn't like them)
-plus, a 'Next Week' teaser suggesting a Ferengi-specific episode...?

Y'know, I'm starting to understand a lot better why folks never gave DS9 much of a chance after this first season.

DS9 still wins this week's Versus, but this is like the New York Islanders winning a game against the Detroit Red Wings because Detroit's plane was snowed in.

Weekly Winner
DS9

Next: Week 12
DS9 - The Nagus
Old May 1 2009, 11:27 PM   #28
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Week 12: (Ending 03.21.93)
DS9: The Nagus (Airdate 03.21.93)

Easily one of the best Trek episodes involving a lot of Ferengi up to that time ...which isn't saying much, sadly. But, if ever there was an episode that showed how you could milk the whole premise of the race for good laughs, this was it. I wonder how many gave it much of a chance, though -DS9 wasn't exactly having a string of excellence at this point, and trying to convince folks to tune into a Ferengi episode would probably have been difficult.

DS9 takes the week. And now it goes into re-runs again, while TNG gets some solo time with new episodes. Man, what's with all this alternating between the shows, huh? Was Paramount afraid to have its two shows competing with each other? Hmm...

Weekly Winner
DS9

Next: Week 13
TNG - Starship Mine
Old May 2 2009, 01:56 AM   #29
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I loved 'The Nagus.' And it did seem Paramount was trying to avoid competition...
Old May 2 2009, 06:14 AM   #30
I am not Spock
Commodore

I am really enjoying this thread. It's interesting to see the parallels between Chain of Command and DS9. It did seem like they were preparing viewers for darker Trek. Chain of Command is one of TNGs strongest episodes, I think, with more character conflict than usual. It should have been like that more often.