Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old April 15 2009, 12:13 AM   #61
JNG
Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command

Re: "She can still outrun us, and outgun us."

caisson2delta wrote: View Post
It obviously wasn't designed as a deep space explorer vessel
Please explain how this is obvious. For one, I'm not sure the term "starship" would have been likely to mean otherwise to the production team at the time she was conceived, but I also don't see any particular reason why she can't carry out such a mission.

It's certainly not because of the size difference. She's a little bigger than the TOS Enterprise and only 8% smaller than the movie version.
JNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2009, 12:17 AM   #62
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Right. I don't see why she wouldn't be a capable explorer. Personally, I just think the fact that it is designed differently implies that there were different goals in the two projects.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2009, 11:47 PM   #63
Neumann
Captain

View Neumann's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Neumann

I think that you are right!
Neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2009, 04:56 AM   #64
Wingsley
Commodore

caisson2delta wrote: View Post
There have been many good explanations to this topic already that are quite valid. I have two other possibilities as well.

1. The Enterprise had been relegated to the role of a training vessel and quite possibly wasn't up to the level of other ships on active patrol or exploratory missions. It may have been some time since it had last been overhauled or had major improvements to weapons and power systems. The primarily trainee crew wasn't as experienced and the casualties suffered limited their ability to make field repairs.

2. The Reliant, I always felt, was a ship that had been designed as a direct result of the Constitution class and it's successes, while seeing improvements in certain areas. It may not have had as powerful a warp core, for instance, or inferior shields and perhaps thicker armor to compensate. It obviously wasn't designed as a deep space explorer vessel and probably not intended to operate at such long ranges and alone for extended periods. This probably evolved into it being armed differently and the adding of the rollbar type attachments to make it more flexible in local missions or to complement armament, sensors, etc., as needed.

Here are some alternative possibilities:

1: The Enterprise in the 2280's was re-designated as a cadet training vessel while the old Republic was pulled out of service temporarily to be rebuilt to TMP-era specs.

2: The Reliant, Saratoga, et al are all starships-of-the-line, but they are not cruisers. Perhaps they are the TMP era's take on what FJ was trying to do when he came up with the Hermes/Saladin Class I destroyer/scout type vessels. Maybe the difference between a cruiser and a frigate/destroyer/scout/whatever-you-want-to-call-it is that cruisers have more overall mass, greater crew and cargo capacity, and separate, distinctive secondary hulls. Reliant obviously lacks these traits, so she may not have been a cruiser.
Old April 21 2009, 07:00 AM   #65
Timo
Admiral

...But the Reliant does have mass/volume comparable to Kirk's ship, and seems to feature all the bells and whistles as well. She's just put together in a somewhat different shape. If the extremely subtle differences in size or equipment are indeed significant, then all bets are off as regards Starfleet ship type designations. Would for example the fandom Belknap qualify for a cruiser when her secondary hull is smaller than that of Kirk's ship, while her neck has greater chord? Is the Constellation not good enough for the cruiser designation due to the lack of a secondary hull, when she otherwise would seem to outbulk Kirk's ship by quite a lot?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2009, 07:13 AM   #66
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I'd argue that they're all types of cruisers, each designed with a specific purpose. The Constellation might be a Deep Space Cruiser, for example. The Miranda might be an Interdiction Cruiser. And the Constitution a good ole fashioned Heavy Cruiser.

Of course, we might also want to factor in the idea that each class's mass might be different owing to different amounts of open space. Each of those hangar doors on the Miranda and Constellation might feature an empty volume similar to the one found aboard the Enterprise in TMP, making each of the former more hollow while still comparable in size.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote