MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

View Poll Results: What did you think of Sela?
Liked her 25 30.12%
In between 23 27.71%
Disliked her 20 24.10%
Good idea, bad execution 15 18.07%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 20 2009, 11:01 PM   #16
davidant32
Commodore

Re: Sela...

Praetor wrote: View Post

I've often wondered if Sela would have worked better if she actually was the alternate Yar herself - who had either been broken by the Romulans or willingly defected to their side.

What are your opinions on Sela? Like her, hate her, what and why?
It would have been interesting to see an aged Crosby/Yar interacting with the crew, much changed/grisled after years of imprisonment. Perhaps even bitter/vengeful against Picard and Co.-- leading to interesting character development and future storylines. She could've been both a Federation hero and have an agenda against the E-D

It also would have made for an interesting two-parter to have the E-D be sent on a mission to retrieve this old Federation POW and realize it was Yar....
Old April 20 2009, 11:58 PM   #17
JustKate
Rear Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
Well, seeing how the only difference between Romulans and humans are the ears, the haircut and the forehead ridges (most of them) they did an okay job with Sela seeing how being half-human would have eliminated the ridges while leaving her with the ears and the blonde take on the haircut.
I have to disagree - and I don't want to. I tried to tell myself that (remember, I'm the one who enjoyed "Unification" despite the logical inconsistencies ), but jeez, you couldn't even see the ears - at least I couldn't, except when the camera was at exactly the right angle. She looked like a human - a blond human - with a Romulan haircut. That's the best they could do?

Last edited by JustKate; April 21 2009 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Thought I should get the name of the episode right!
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2009, 12:22 AM   #18
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Thor Damar

JustKate wrote: View Post
Anwar wrote: View Post
Well, seeing how the only difference between Romulans and humans are the ears, the haircut and the forehead ridges (most of them) they did an okay job with Sela seeing how being half-human would have eliminated the ridges while leaving her with the ears and the blonde take on the haircut.
I have to disagree - and I don't want to. I tried to tell myself that (remember, I'm the one who enjoyed Reunification despite the logical inconsistencies ), but jeez, you couldn't even see the ears - at least I couldn't, except when the camera was at exactly the right angle. She looked like a human - a blond human - with a Romulan haircut. That's the best they could do?
Agreed, that's why I'm voting for dislike. Another half human vuclaniod. I second the 'should have used Tomalak in those episodes' he was the closest that the Romulans ever got to a Dukat.
(come to think of it maybe Cmdr Tebok would have been a better choice for the primacy protagonist.)

Thor Damar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2009, 12:50 AM   #19
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Remember the defector DeSeve from 'Face of the Enemy' that had been living on Romulus for years? That, combined with the lack of Romulan resemblance on Sela is actually what made me think of the idea of alternate Yar herself as Sela. It seems to me that an officer from a failed Federation colony who had grown to hate Kliingons after years of war might decide that the way the Federation worked wasn't for her after all, and fit in all too well on Romulus...

Also, I agree that if they were going to do it, she should have been dealt with outside of 'Redemption' or 'Unification.' It felt like shoehorned filler where none should have been needed. Tomalak (RIP Andreas) would have chewed the scenery without feeling like filler.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2009, 12:54 AM   #20
JustKate
Rear Admiral

Thor Damar wrote: View Post
Agreed, that's why I'm voting for dislike. Another half human vuclaniod. I second the 'should have used Tomalak in those episodes' he was the closest that the Romulans ever got to a Dukat. (come to think of it maybe Cmdr Tebok would have been a better choice for the primacy protagonist.)
You just like the word "vulcanoid." And who can blame you? But yes, Tomalak would have been cool, and so would Tebok. The other Romulan who was featured ::clicks over to the episode guide really quick!:: - Procounsel Neral...he was pretty bland, too. Maybe he was supposed to be, but I didn't care for him. Who needs a bland Romulan?
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2009, 01:29 AM   #21
alicelouise
Commander

It seems that if a person is half of one and half of the other, in their younger years they try may be more a whole of one than Thou, while seeming to reject the other half of their heritage. Leonard Nimoy, playing Spock, did this with finesse through TOS and the ST movies. We learned his Human side wasn't dead and was a great resource.

Sela? I would say good idea/bad execution. I could see Half Human/Half Romulan on the Fed side of the Neutral Zone being a fanatical Fed, but, having to make peace with their supressed inner Romulan. There is no plot opening for Sela to do this.

A more interesting take was "The Drumhead". This struck me as the most realistic. Simon Tarses has Romulan ancestry and wants to hide it. Tarses is ambivalent as well. It raises a whole slew of questions of the enlightenment and tolerance of the Federation. One of their citizens felt the need to lie on a Star fleet application.

In real life I've seen Americans of Arab descent be simultaneously appalled at Islamic terrorism and their medieval societies and at the same time be appalled at flippant jokes against Arab culture. They seem to be American as all get out and most are Christian.
alicelouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2009, 03:20 AM   #22
TS-1838-SWATH
Commander

davidant32 wrote: View Post
Praetor wrote: View Post

I've often wondered if Sela would have worked better if she actually was the alternate Yar herself - who had either been broken by the Romulans or willingly defected to their side.

What are your opinions on Sela? Like her, hate her, what and why?

It also would have made for an interesting two-parter to have the E-D be sent on a mission to retrieve this old Federation POW and realize it was Yar....
BRAVO BARVO to the Idea in BOLD

"Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine."-->DW: TDIOE
TS-1838-SWATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2009, 03:21 AM   #23
TS-1838-SWATH
Commander

Good idea, bad execution

"Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine."-->DW: TDIOE
TS-1838-SWATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2009, 04:04 AM   #24
Bad Atom
Commodore

View Bad Atom's Twitter Profile

I would have believed her character was half-Romulan more if she had black hair. Otherwise, she was okay.
Bad Atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2009, 05:40 AM   #25
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

Evil twin/clones are a huge, huge sci-fi cliche. You have that cheesed-out, cliche reaction to deal with right off the bat. It can still work, but it has to be damn good.
There are a lot of original aspects to Data and the Soong androids, a sort of mini-mythology going on. Lots of history which told us a lot about Data. Thomas Riker worked because he had more dimension, and also because of the subtext of the story, similar to that of "Tapestry".
But Sela just doesn't work as well. The cliche overwhelms the situation. She might have been a far more interesting character if NOT played by Denise Crosby. Nothing against her, but when she emerged from the shadows as Sela, my reaction was of the "give me a !@$#%^* break!" variety.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2009, 07:28 AM   #26
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

^ I agree that the character might have been more interesting if she'd be played by a differnet actor - which is ironic, really, since the whole thing was devised as a Crosby vehicle. I think Sela would have worked better, too, if there had been more going on with her than her invasion plans, or whatever it was. I'd have liked some character moments. Maybe meeting Picard, who her mother had spoken about; or Data who Yar was obviously fond of. Hell, in her short time on the Ent, Tasha had managed to have some nice character moments will all the guys. It would have been interesting (although I know we've seen it before) to have her in conflict with her differnet heritages. There seemed to be nothing to her other than she came back to be a villan. She could even have had a revelation about her mother and her father. She is sympathetic to her father but hostile to her mother. It would have been interesting if she'd had the revelation that her mother had felt the need to escape, that she had been a captive, that her father was not the be-all and end-all. The revelation to adult children that their parents are not infallible gods is a harsh life lesson, might have been an interesting story point to see it happen here.

WillsBabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2009, 06:10 AM   #27
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Well, it was an innovative way to bring Denise back, that's for sure. I didn't hate the idea, but I didn't love it either. I guess if the Romulans had remained more clearly as the main villains, she could have been put in better use.
Old April 23 2009, 12:30 PM   #28
Lt.Cmdr.LaForge
Lieutenant Commander

Sela was a good character, the episodes she was in i enjoyed. I jus dislike the way she was introduced to the series, her back story was just a little too bland... it came across too much as just an excuse to get denise back in the show...
Old April 23 2009, 08:11 PM   #29
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Personally, I kinda liked Sela in "Redemption". In that scene with Picard, there were some stong hints of "internal conflict". Note how worked up she gets when she tells the captain how SHE betrayed her mother to her death. It seems, to me at least, as if the ghost of her mother has been tormenting her since her death...and Sela's trying to justify what happened--to herself, as well as Picard.

It also seems like she's trying to get some kind of reaction from Picard, when she says, "All that's left in me is Romulan--NEVER DOUBT THAT!"

When Picard shrugs it off, Sela looks a little stung....

Anyway, her stint in "Unification" seemed rather simplistic in comparison. It seems like the writers just brought her in as a plot point--probably, they intended to make her a reocurring villian like Tomalak, or the Duras Sisters, but apparently, nothing came of that....

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2009, 08:17 PM   #30
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

Sela was one of the all-time worst ideas in TNG. And unlike another really bad TNG idea--the Borg Queen--the execution of that idea was just as bad as the idea itself. Chalk a lot of that up to the gulf that separates the talents of Alice Krige and Denise Crosby.