New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Closed Thread

Old April 16 2009, 06:13 PM   #976
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Archaeology and anthropology it was for dear Apollo-seduced Palamas, CRA.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old April 17 2009, 05:21 AM   #977
Shaw
Commodore

I thought I had posted something like this, but as it turned out what I had posted was pretty small and mixed in with a lot of my illustrations (though the reference scale was there to work from)... so here is a slightly larger version of some of the raw set plans all to scale with each other on a 10 foot by 10 foot grid.

This is obviously not the final diagrams I'm working on, which will be cleaner and easier to work with... sorta looking like this.

As stated from day one, the sizes of the sets are locked to their original sizes (the sizes that we see on screen), though some angles might change depending on how far out from the center a room is placed (and I'll try to provide a variety for some rooms when I redraw them). The goal for me has been to see if the sets will fit without alteration into the Enterprise... basically to see just how far Jefferies thought all of this through (and that has never changed).

These are basically what I was working from for all of my sketches (even the first sketch) when attempting to see how things might fit together, though DS9Sega's Forward Phaser Control would be a better version than the one included above.
Old April 17 2009, 03:16 PM   #978
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Oh that's nice. It's the sort of thing that's so obvious I'm amazed we haven't seen it before. Where the heck was that briefing room table sketch when I was trying to make mine!?
Old April 17 2009, 06:48 PM   #979
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Yeah, it's nice to have all those in one convenient place rather than all over the place, like my original copies. Quick question, slightly off topic though, does anybody know what that triangular thing is in Dr. McCoy's lab, to my knowledge, we never actually saw it on set in any episode? It looks like a table or a free standing cabinet of some sort and it seems to have 'doors' or panels of some sort on it's sides?
Old April 17 2009, 07:02 PM   #980
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Wow, Shaw.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old April 20 2009, 02:38 AM   #981
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Thanks for the scaled comparison shot of the set plans. By the way, how much hair did you pull out when you made that collage?

(FYI, trying to match the scales of the blueprint scans is a really fast way to commit brain cell genocide.)

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
Old April 20 2009, 04:55 AM   #982
Nimitz CO
Lieutenant Commander

Hi Shaw,

I just found this link http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=175366 that I thought might help you with your project. This talented individual it attempting to do the deck plans for the TOS Enterprise, I hope that you find it helpfull
Old April 20 2009, 05:46 AM   #983
Shaw
Commodore

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Thanks for the scaled comparison shot of the set plans. By the way, how much hair did you pull out when you made that collage?

(FYI, trying to match the scales of the blueprint scans is a really fast way to commit brain cell genocide.)
Well, I had started in on it last year (which was why I thought I had posted it). But when I went looking for it in this thread (and on my site) I realized I had stopped part way through (because it was such a pain).

I'm constantly going back over my posted sketches because it is easier to find those concepts and ideas in this thread than hunting through thousands of files on my system. And even if I didn't post everything I was working on at the time, I can at least narrow down the search of my system to a date range. So it was surprising when I realized I hadn't finished (or posted what I had started).

But thankfully I didn't have a lot of hair to start with.

Nimitz CO wrote: View Post
I just found this link http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=175366 that I thought might help you with your project. This talented individual it attempting to do the deck plans for the TOS Enterprise, I hope that you find it helpfull
Thanks for the link. I love seeing other people's approaches towards visualizing this type of thing. I've even been considering BrookeStephen's VRML method... when I have more time and when I get my SGI Indigo 2 back up and running again (as I had a bunch of VRML authoring software for that system as I recall).
Old April 20 2009, 05:46 AM   #984
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Hi Shaw,

Hoover DAM! that's cool, Nimitz CO. But I bet BrookeStephen will find it most useful, especially the bowling alley.
Old April 20 2009, 07:31 PM   #985
doctorwho 03
Captain

Hi Shaw,

<Frank Barone> Holy Crap! </Frank Barone> This guy is good!

Visit my Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/doctorwho03
Old April 20 2009, 11:55 PM   #986
BrookeStephen
Lieutenant Commander

Hi Shaw,

Now THAT guy is my kind of nutjob!! LOL
Beautiful work - even while it's in the editor it looks nice!
We need him on our BBS!
Who's gonna recruit him?
Hurry up! Quicker!
Old April 21 2009, 01:02 AM   #987
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

I just wish I could do that with my plans.
Old April 21 2009, 01:24 AM   #988
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Brookestephen, I would recruit him, but I'd have to register at 3d buzz, an I'm too lazy, so I'll pass. That reminds me, does anyone know where I can get a self clicking mouse?
Old April 21 2009, 10:07 PM   #989
BrookeStephen
Lieutenant Commander

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
I just wish I could do that with my plans.
OMG
You goofy guy - I've been volunteering to help anyone who wants to do that - in VRML - and no one takes advantage! LOL
Old April 21 2009, 10:44 PM   #990
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Shaw wrote: View Post
USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Links, please. As little confidence as I put in JJ, this sounds suspect.
Well, as I was expressing my opinion (and what it was based on) and not trying to shape anyone else's (seeing as people reach their own conclusions just fine without my help), I don't see why it would matter one way or the other how I got the information.

But if it matters that much to ya (and my accounting of information like this doesn't stand on it's own), maybe this will meet your standards...
John Eaves, March 16, 2009 at 1:15 pm
I did make it on the new one!!! My friend Geoffry Mandell and I were some of the only folks that worked on any of the previous Treks to get on the new one. One day Geoff had to scale the Enterprise and he did so by picturing the new ship in comparison to the previous ships,, He was let go the next day for being to attached and close to the older shows,,,,, I stayed very very quiet after that dark day I can tell you!!! HAAAA!
Or maybe not.

Should I start providing links for everything I post now? I wasn't aware that my credit had dropped that low.

BTW, this link is now dead. I hope someone decided to save this page before it got deleted....

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
Closed Thread