Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the pilot...
Excellent 74 35.58%
Above Average 89 42.79%
Average 27 12.98%
Below Average 9 4.33%
Poor 9 4.33%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 19 2009, 08:00 PM   #76
EstoniaKat
Lieutenant

Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

And I want one of those little robot butlers ...
Old April 19 2009, 09:00 PM   #77
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I'm sufficiently intrigued to watch the regular series, although some of the dropped plot threads still bother me (what are the motivations behind the bombing in the first place?)
I suspect we'll definitely hear more aboutthe Soldiers of the One. It's obvious that Sister Clarice is involved. She's as guilty as sin. For all we know, she encouraged Ben to do it.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old April 19 2009, 11:38 PM   #78
Candlelight
Admiral

I'm worried about this I read online:

[Jane] Espenson will become executive producer midway through the first season.
Her character assassinations would make Fred Freiberger proud.

I liked it but it doesn't have much rewatchability with me. Then again I have never been a fan of prequels and never will. And sadly this includes the new Star Trek movie.
Old April 20 2009, 12:44 AM   #79
Tom
Rear Admiral

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
Finally, I like the noticeable absence of the Colonial Federal Government. There is no mention of a Colonial Fleet or the President of the Colonies. Each colony is responsible for its own defense and may use force against one another.
I'm sure if the series makes it part of the plot will be conflicts between the worlds and the beginnings colonial government (hey.. it Enterprise in the BSG world..lol) .

I wondered why we have not seen the holoband in BSG at all.. Even if that was dropped due to the Cylon war we still should have seen that nifty digital paper during BSG, one would think.

Looking at the prototype Cylon, i always wonder what is the advantage to the rotating eye. To me, two or more eyes on the head would be better than one eye going back and forth, sure its cool, just does not seem practical.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Old April 20 2009, 12:49 AM   #80
ATimson
Rear Admiral

FleetLord wrote: View Post
Looking at the prototype cylon i always wonder what is the advantage to the rotaig eye. to me two or more eyes ont he head would be better than one eye going back and forth, sure its cool, just does not seem practical.
You're assuming that it's actually seeing like that; I always figured it was metaphorical, the equivalent of the power light on your computer.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old April 20 2009, 12:57 AM   #81
Tom
Rear Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
Looking at the prototype cylon i always wonder what is the advantage to the rotaig eye. to me two or more eyes ont he head would be better than one eye going back and forth, sure its cool, just does not seem practical.
You're assuming that it's actually seeing like that; I always figured it was metaphorical, the equivalent of the power light on your computer.
Well if you remember in the Razor flashback when Adama and the cylon are free falling you see how the cylon is seeing (and tracking) adama and there is a rotation from clear to sharp from what they show.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Old April 20 2009, 12:59 AM   #82
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
Well one of the Razor flashbacks shows what seeing from a TOS Cylons perspective is like a it does use the onw eye moving back and forth to see.
Old April 20 2009, 01:44 AM   #83
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

I wondered why we have not seen the holoband in BSG at all.
We have. It was called Cylon Projection.
Old April 20 2009, 02:16 AM   #84
Snowy Roshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Snowy Roshi

^^It seemed obvious to me...

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Old April 20 2009, 02:22 AM   #85
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Originally Posted by FleetLord
I wondered why we have not seen the holoband in BSG at all.
We have. It was called Cylon Projection.
Exactly. The Greystones unwittingly gave the enemy everything it needed to destroy humanity and be comfortable while doing it.

Besides, if holobands are still in use by the human population at all by that time (I suspect not--the colonials looked "backwards" in technology because they were afraid of their enemies--holobands might have become passé or hated) I'm sure they didn't go home to grab their holobands when they were panicking to find escape ships as the nukes were falling. You'd grab your child before your holoband.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old April 20 2009, 02:25 AM   #86
Snowy Roshi
Vice Admiral

^^besides I think holobands would require a network to function. And I think it was strictly verboten under Adama's command.

Old April 20 2009, 02:28 AM   #87
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Bingo about Adama probably forbidding them because he refused to have networked computers on his ship.

Old April 20 2009, 02:49 AM   #88
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

Stereoscopic vision is difficult to accomplish, and it primary benefit, depth perception, is better realized by the use of a laser rangefinder in conjunction with monocular vision.

Our binocular vision system works because out brains are designed to combine two images into a single coherent image with depth. But programing a machine to do so is not very easy at all, and not very practical. With the use of precise rangefinders to provide precise measurements of depth, steropisis, which provides an inaccurate approximation of depth, is redundant. Binocular vision then would only serve to provide a wider field of view. However, such a wider field of view can only work if the machine is programed for steropsis, or if the cameras are in a fixed position relative to each other such that their images will never overlap.
Old April 20 2009, 08:34 AM   #89
Snowy Roshi
Vice Admiral

BTW, where have I already heard a character called Zee being a super genius?

Old April 20 2009, 08:52 AM   #90
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

AAAAACKK!! Don't compare Zoe to Cousin Oliver's illegitimate cousin!