RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,703
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 450
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 18 2009, 09:26 AM   #31
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Re: WWE - The Undertaker to Retire in 2010

CaptainWacky wrote: View Post
Tulin wrote: View Post
This news is WAYYY overdue.

At least I can look forward to not having to watch that stupid 18 minute entry anymore. Actually, what am I talking about? I just fast forward that part anyway.

Take is part of the reason WWE sucks - too many giants who cannot actually wrestle and too many old guys hanging onto the spotlight.
Taker's still one of the best workers in the company and his match with Shawn Michaels was the one highlight on a substandard WrestleMania this year.
Yes - WM XXV was quite poor. I was surprised at how amateur it felt at times.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 10:36 AM   #32
Hermiod
Admiral

Tulin - I attended the WWE Survivor Series tour last year where the Undertaker had a match against the Big Show as the main event.

When you hear the reaction just the bell at the start of his entrance gets on its own in person, you will understand why he does it.

Then watch his match against Shawn Michaels. Actually, forget that, just watch his TV matches against Matt Hardy and Shelton Benjamin this week. The very idea that he's just some giant who can't wrestle is absolute nonsense.

Yes, very often, when they want to introduce some new giant who really can't wrestle they'll stick him in a feud with the Undertaker. That's what they did with Khali, for instance. Put him in with Michaels, Austin, Angle, Bret or any of the other true greats and you're in for an outstanding match. He's even gotten excellent matches out of guys like Batista.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 07:34 PM   #33
Cky
Captain

I haven't read many of the posts here because I actually have to run out and saw this thread.

I think it's about time that Undertaker retired, although being a wrestling fan for the last 15 years or so, going through the original run of ECW and watching through the height of WWE (the attitude era), I have to say that Taker was one of the wrestlers that always caught my as a good wrestler.

To be honest though, if he does retire I can almost garantee his last match will be againts someone stupid like John Cena, who in my opinion is the worst wrestler in the history of wrestling.

I mean honestly, what is the big deal about him except for the fan he is really over with 12 year olds? I mean every time, everytime I have decided to watch a WWE PPV or RAW with a WWE title on the line, Cena has ALWAYS won. It pisses me off.

Speaking of that, why the hell is ECW still on the air? Just rename the fucking show already.
Old April 18 2009, 08:20 PM   #34
Hermiod
Admiral

^Have you watched ECW lately ?

It's rapidly turning in to the best wrestling (not "sports entertainment") show on TV. On an average show, it's just matches, not a lot of backstage waffle. Usually in roughly 45 minutes of show we get at least 35 minutes of actual wrestling which is a much higher ratio than, say, TNA Impact.

We've had some great matches on there recently, John Morrison vs Evan Bourne this week was probably the best non-PPV match WWE or any of their competitors have put on this year. Then we've had matches like Jack Swagger's against Christian and Matt Hardy. ECW's rapidly becoming a highlight of the wrestling fan's week.
Old April 18 2009, 08:34 PM   #35
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Hermiod wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post

He won't lose. Undertaker retires 18-0, I guarantee it.
I hope so. A powerful ending for a powerful wrestler.
Say what you like about Cena, but the man has too much respect for the business. Undertaker will get the full treatment, Hall of Fame the night before included.
Awesome. Something to watch.

J.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 09:46 PM   #36
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Rollin, Rollin, Rollin.... I hated that era of the deaman and his year. But all in all a superior career for Mean Mark. His last match ne needs the full intro, Druids..caskets, lightening, the works. And oh yeah get Paul Bearer out of that concrete block he is stuck in.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2009, 02:18 AM   #37
Tulin
Vice Admiral

I must admit, he was more interesting with Paul Bearer and the urn.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2009, 02:54 AM   #38
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

Tulin wrote: View Post
I must admit, he was more interesting with Paul Bearer and the urn.
My childhood memories of the Undertaker will always be of that.
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2009, 07:45 PM   #39
Hermiod
Admiral

It's looking like this is a false alarm. The "Rest in Peace" part of the tour name is just marketing. The Raw brand will also be have a "Degeneration X Reunion Tour" at the same time.
Old April 19 2009, 10:43 PM   #40
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

It's looking like this is a false alarm.
It wouldn't be WWE if there weren't rumors that the Undertaker would retire at the next Wrestlemania. I think those rumors are around since WM XX at least.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2009, 11:02 PM   #41
Cky
Captain

^Have you watched ECW lately ?

It's rapidly turning in to the best wrestling (not "sports entertainment") show on TV. On an average show, it's just matches, not a lot of backstage waffle. Usually in roughly 45 minutes of show we get at least 35 minutes of actual wrestling which is a much higher ratio than, say, TNA Impact.

We've had some great matches on there recently, John Morrison vs Evan Bourne this week was probably the best non-PPV match WWE or any of their competitors have put on this year. Then we've had matches like Jack Swagger's against Christian and Matt Hardy. ECW's rapidly becoming a highlight of the wrestling fan's week.
No I don't watch ECW anymore actually. There's a variety of reasons why I'm not anymore. One of the major aspects is that I was a major ECW fan back in the day (the original ECW, and not the watered down version that's now on TV).

I mean, I know it's the whole "letting go of the past" aspect, but I don't want to watch a complete twat with the ECW Championship, on top of the fact that everything that I even liked about the ECW is now gone, the last straw for me is when they moved Joey Styles away, and then changed the ECW World Title in to that disgusting belt. Sure they may have more wrestling now, and I did catch a bit of Christians return (and already I think he's being dramatically underused).

I mean for god sake, they make Tommy Dreamer job pratically every week, the very last thing that's original in ECW. (Although, Dreamer always had a past in ECW of getting people over, so for all I know he could have requested it).

You know, I would actually watch ECW if they changed the name, there's nothing Extreme in Extreme Championship Wrestling.
Old April 20 2009, 09:55 AM   #42
Hermiod
Admiral

That "complete twat" is Jack Swagger who is quite possibly the best young wrestler to come through WWE or anyone else's doors since Brock Lesnar.

Dreamer doesn't job every week, but as he quite rightly is putting younger talent over. There is no point in having someone like Dreamer win every week when he's in the last year of his wrestling contract, he was semi-retired anyway and most importantly - he wants to put the younger talent over.
Old April 20 2009, 11:34 AM   #43
Cky
Captain

I guessed he would want to put the other wrestlers over, and I'll admit he's a good wrestler. I saw his match againts Christian and it wasn't bad. But as soon as he picks up a microphone I cringe. But like I said, I don't watch ECW for namesake now.

I just watched the WWE Draft, and I know Vince wants to bring the hispanic crowds back to Smackdown, and RAW the main show. But christ, talk about bringing most of the main talent of RAW from Smackdown. Smackdown got all of one "great" superstar in the form of Rey Mysterio, but RAW got most of Smackdowns top talent.
Old April 20 2009, 12:19 PM   #44
Hermiod
Admiral

^That's because the move to MyNetwork TV has not been a success. They loaded up Smackdown, sending two of their biggest fan favourites over (Triple H and Jeff Hardy) plus their best announcer (JR) and it didn't work, so Raw is getting the top guys now.

Lesnar wasn't much of a talker either, that's what managers are for.
Old April 20 2009, 12:58 PM   #45
Cky
Captain

Nor was Bret Hart, but he still learnt.

And yeah I noticed that, but still, I actually watched Smackdown because it was more interesting than Raw (and it didn't have Cena).