Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 18 2009, 05:55 AM   #1
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Heroes

Is Heroes becoming The X-Men?

Syler and Peter's ability to duplicate the powers of other (Rogue and Mimic). Telepathy (Professor X, Jean), cold powers (Iceman), healing factor (Wolverine), I think there was a mutant who could control machinery but I'm not sure he was an X-Men, incredible speed (Northstar), seeing the future (Destiny) then there is Angela's sister . A future that looks like Day's of Future Past. All we need now are giant hunter robots.

Maybe I'm way late in coming to this conclusion. But it's becoming more obvious as the series continues. I want to see Peter becomes a Phoenix like creature or if Marvel sues.

End rant.
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 06:48 AM   #2
Caliburn24
Commodore

Re: Heroes

Well, the hope I had from episode one of season one was that it would evolve into a more mature and realistic version of X-Men. But instead the show has wandered in circles with characters not really doing anything interesting or compelling.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 07:23 AM   #3
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

SFF
Old April 18 2009, 07:42 AM   #4
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

No, it isn't, because that would be copyright infringement.

It's becoming more like the "Ythehellisn'tthisgoinganywherewhydidn'twehaveapla nwhatthehellarewedoingshutuptakethemoneyandrun-men".
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 07:48 AM   #5
Dream
Admiral

If this was X-men than Wolverine would be every single episode.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 03:46 PM   #6
Mr Light
Admiral

Claire is the Wolverine and she's in almost every episode I wish the show had become more like the X-Men, by which I mean that all the mutants band together in a single team for mutual security and go after the evil mutants. I don't understand why these people don't band together! Live together or die alone!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 04:22 PM   #7
captcalhoun
Admiral

united we stand, divided we fall.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 07:43 PM   #8
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

Its a daytime soap opera with super-powers.
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 07:49 PM   #9
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

They've already taken care of the Marvel problem by stunt-casting Stan Lee as a bus driver. Now everybody is friends.

We yak about this show in SF&F. Here's the most recent thread. It's only Saturday, it shouldn't have died yet! Don't tell me I killed it. Come argue about whether Chandra Suresh's backstory still makes sense and what you think about Claire's nasty wig!

I think Bryan Fuller has turned the show around (phew!) by returning the emotional core to the series. It was glaringly absent when he left to do Pushing Daisies and just became a show about people running around frantically and writers coming up with kewl plot twists to distract us from the hollowness of it all.

The characters are back to being in-character and the relationships make sense. Now what Fuller needs to concentrate on in S4 is the overall plotline. This show still has no actual plotline.

If this was X-men than Wolverine would be every single episode.
Sylar is their Wolverine. That guy is becoming a crutch.

I wish the show had become more like the X-Men, by which I mean that all the mutants band together in a single team for mutual security and go after the evil mutants.
They've got all the setup they need. The main characters have bonded so that being a "team" now feels natural (in S1 it would have felt forced). Sylar is the only evil mutant they need to go after - he's a threat to everyone's survival and more than a handful for all of them.

S4 should be about the gang deciding to finally attack the threat to them posed both by Sylar and the intolerant anti-mutant folks in the big bad gubmint. If this show gets an S5, then it can evolve beyond that. This show has spent the better part of two seasons chasing its tail so it still hasn't even begun to tap into the premise's potential. I just hope the ratings hold up well enough to let them.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 07:50 PM   #10
Aragorn
Admiral

It's like X-Men, presented by the CW.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 07:57 PM   #11
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The Supernatural and Reaper CW, sure. Not the Gossip Girl CW.
Old April 18 2009, 10:25 PM   #12
Dream
Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
We yak about this show in SF&F. Here's the most recent thread. It's only Saturday, it shouldn't have died yet! Don't tell me I killed it. Come argue about whether Chandra Suresh's backstory still makes sense and what you think about Claire's nasty wig!
Last Monday's episode was good but it was moslty a slow character episode and not action packed so there was bound to be less talk about it. There are only two episodes left this season so the action should pick up. If there is no interest in the season finale we have problems!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 10:32 PM   #13
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I think the last two of the season should be very action packed. I'm just concerned that
Old April 18 2009, 11:16 PM   #14
Aragorn
Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
The Supernatural and Reaper CW, sure. Not the Gossip Girl CW.
I was thinking more along the lines of what would happen to X-Men if the Smallville team got ahold of it.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote