RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,704
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 409
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old April 18 2009, 04:49 AM   #16
kitsune
Captain

Re: Reunification - makes no sense?

Unification still made more sense than All Good Things. But it wasn't as cool.
kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 04:52 AM   #17
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

JustKate wrote: View Post
I enjoy it too - it could have been better, of course, but I mean, it's got Spock. How bad can it be?
Extremely bad. I remember how excited I was waiting for this and how disappointed I was when I saw it. Even Nimoy seemed to be having an off day.
Old April 18 2009, 05:08 AM   #18
The Grim Ghost
Fleet Captain

Nothing about this episode made sense to me. Not even Spock's motivations. Both cultures seemed to be thriving on their own.

They have a common ancestry so..they HAVE to rejoin??
Why does Spock have the right to start mucking around with Romulan culture? By TNG standards isn't that against the Prime directive?

I'm not seeing your logic there Mr. Spock.
Old April 18 2009, 05:14 AM   #19
kitsune
Captain

destro wrote: View Post
Why does Spock have the right to start mucking around with Romulan culture? By TNG standards isn't that against the Prime directive?
The Prime Directive only applies to pre-warp cultures.
kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 05:17 AM   #20
The Grim Ghost
Fleet Captain

^ Not in TNG. They went back and forth on that all of the time throughout TNG/DS9/VOY. Sometimes it only applies to prewarp civs. and sometimes it seems to apply to everyone.
Old April 18 2009, 05:30 AM   #21
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

I think Spock was looking at Reunification in the way some people look at family members - if they weren't related, you'd sever ties, but because you are, you want to make nice with them, bring them back into the fold, even if they don't want to be brought back.

This is why no other Vulcans were supporting him - it was an emotional decision that he's attempting to cover with his own logic.
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 05:46 AM   #22
RobertScorpio
Pariah

destro wrote: View Post
^ Not in TNG. They went back and forth on that all of the time throughout TNG/DS9/VOY. Sometimes it only applies to prewarp civs. and sometimes it seems to apply to everyone.
And it really kicks in when TREK producers want to save $$$

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 06:00 AM   #23
Xerxes1979
Captain

Actually the biggest problem was the unexplainable Romulan decision to cross the neutral zone at the speed of warp 2?!

How the hell can you cross a region of space one light year wide when according to the TNG warp scale you are only going ten times the speed of light? Does Vulcan sit directly on the neutral zone border?

The Federation Concil could have spent untold weeks debating a response to the "eminent" invasion of Vulcan.

Unification Part II had many flaws

(One Edit) After watching the episode on youtube, the speed is given as warp one when crossing into the neutral zone and "low warp" when entering Federation space. Still bad writing considering it takes 8.5 hours to cross the neutral zone traveling warp 9.

Last edited by Xerxes1979; April 18 2009 at 10:22 PM.
Xerxes1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 11:54 AM   #24
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Well, the Neutral Zone IS closer to Earth and all the other Core Fed Worlds since it was established back when Warp Drive was fairly primitive compared to the rest of Trek so yeah I'd think Vulcan is pretty close to it.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 01:47 PM   #25
cultcross
Say my name...

What I never really got was the point of the Vulcan ships. They're accompanied by cloaked warbirds in the episode. If cloaked warbirds can get to Vulcan anyway, why bother with the Vulcan ships? They just announce your arrival prematurely.
Old April 18 2009, 02:28 PM   #26
Timo
Admiral

A scenario that almost makes sense, as presented here a couple of times already:

The fleet of "peace envoys" was there to make noise that would mask the presence of dozens of not hundreds of cloaked warships. Those warships could never make it through the closely monitored NZ on their own, since the tiniest emission where no emissions should be would give them away. But if they rode in the wake of ships that had a legitimate reason to cross the Zone, then they could get through, and could indeed occupy Vulcan with a sufficient, realistic number of troops and amount of firepower.

Naturally, old Vulcan tubs would make more noise than other vessels - and old Vulcan tubs is something that the Romulans might indeed have in their possession, either dating back to the time of the exodus (Vulcan ships are known to have remained in service for centuries, so why not millennia?), or to recent raids on Vulcan shipping. That they'd have to steal some from the Federation would be akin to the plot of "Moonraker": they quickly needed one more, and thought "what the hell, let's take one from the Feds".

However, there could be a far more sinister motivation behind the choice of ships - one that would explain much more. Perhaps the peace envoy was genuine? Perhaps Romulans stole Vulcan ships in order to lure genuine Romulan peaceniks into them, and then leaked the news to Starfleet which obediently exposed the "invasion plan" (with significant help from Spock who was given the grand tour on the plan and then allowed to escape, but also from a series of hired goons who would steal the T'Pau in as loud and blatant a manner as possible). As the result, the peaceniks were massacred right in front of the eyes of Starfleet - and the entire galaxy cheered!

It would be a win-win plan for the Romulans: if Starfleet reacted, the peaceniks would be killed, and all UFP enemies would hail the audacity of the Romulan attempt. If Starfleet didn't react, Vulcan would be conquered and held for a few days or weeks, then a retreat would be effected, and the peaceniks would be killed anyway. Political victory would go to Romulus in either case.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 08:36 PM   #27
cultcross
Say my name...

^ Now that's an interesting two parter!
Old April 18 2009, 09:33 PM   #28
ambessalion
Lieutenant Commander

Location: Earth, North American Continent, Southeast United States
Send a message via AIM to ambessalion Send a message via Yahoo to ambessalion

The plan had been for a peaceful delegation...no one would have known they were soliders until it's too late if Spock hadn't said so....
ambessalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 09:39 PM   #29
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

ambessalion wrote: View Post
The plan had been for a peaceful delegation...no one would have known they were soliders until it's too late if Spock hadn't said so....
Because nobody was going to run any scans? The ships weren't going to be bordered or inspected before landing on Vulcan - the federation was simply going to allow them to fly directly to Vulcan on the basis of a video transmission that could come from anyone or anywhere?

"The video transmission says it is a peaceful mission, we must therefore accept this at face value"

"most logical".
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 10:05 PM   #30
cultcross
Say my name...

ambessalion wrote: View Post
But the point is - they sent cloaked warbirds along with. If they can send warbirds to Vulcan undetected, wouldn't a much better plan have been to, you know, do that, instead of making a great big song and dance about the Romulan's appearance and likely put security on high alert?