Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old April 18 2009, 01:59 AM   #31
Johnny
Commander

Re: The Photoshop Thread, Part IV

Gary7 wrote: View Post
Thanks.

There's something else I'm kind of stuck on... introducing Sisko. I can't figure out how to colorize white skin to brown. I assume that there must be a reasonable way to do it. First, I tried taking a copy of the hands, perform a desaturation, then try to introduce a brownish tone. I couldn't get Photoshop to give me brown tones. I also tried simple hue shifts and darkening... wouldn't work. I then thought about trying a color matching from his facial skin tones, but that seems way too tedious. Any ideas?

use clone on the colour on his head with 25% transparency? use the burn tool?
Old April 18 2009, 02:32 AM   #32
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Thanks.

There's something else I'm kind of stuck on... introducing Sisko. I can't figure out how to colorize white skin to brown. I assume that there must be a reasonable way to do it. First, I tried taking a copy of the hands, perform a desaturation, then try to introduce a brownish tone. I couldn't get Photoshop to give me brown tones. I also tried simple hue shifts and darkening... wouldn't work. I then thought about trying a color matching from his facial skin tones, but that seems way too tedious. Any ideas?

Use the desaturated hand by duplicating it, putting the copy above the original, and setting the blend mode to multiply. Then get Sisko's skin color and use the pen tool on a blank layer placed between the hands to outline the hands (make sure not to include the nails). The hands should be the same color as his head.
Old April 18 2009, 07:20 AM   #33
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

About Sisko's hands - I think the best tricks are already mentioned. Either to clone the color from his head and putting a layer with 25% (or so) transparency on the hands, or trying to decrease lighting + contrast and fiddling with color-balance.

I guess the best way is simply to try and see what works best. One option is, of course, to search a pic with Sisko's hands showing and using them in this pic. Maybe there is a pic of him on Defiant you could use? Either way - good luck! One part of "the fun" is trying to solve these kinds of tricky situations.

Well, some of you might already know that I am a J/Cer through and through. So majority of my fiddled pics are about J/C. Since I have not used Mark, Janeway's ex-fiancé, before I decided to give it a try. This pic is called "Tension". (Yes, I name my pictures. Ha ha. The above with Picard and Bev is called "Dinner in France".)

Old April 18 2009, 03:34 PM   #34
Brian
Vice Admiral

^ Love it!
Old April 18 2009, 07:05 PM   #35
Shaw
Commodore

You should play with the color balance a little too. I don't have much time today, but here is an alternate attempt...

Tachyon wrote: View Post
This pic is called "Tension". (Yes, I name my pictures. Ha ha. The above with Picard and Bev is called "Dinner in France".)

Wow... it is images like that that make me wonder what happen after Voyager returned. That would have made for an interesting episode.
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 07:26 PM   #36
Gary7
Rear Admiral

^^ Tachyon, I really like your J/C takes. Very convincing. Did you grab Mulgrew's face from something outside Voyager? I can't tell if that's her hair or if you grafted her face on another woman's head. Btw, just a suggestion... on the edging of the hair, try using a 3px eraser at 15%. It'll soften up the line so it blends in with the background.

Thanks for the hints. I did try the contrast rebalancing, but didn't like how it affected the lighting... but if the nails are excluded it just might work. Also, the idea of using the skin from his head as a partially opaque layer sounds interesting, bullethead. I've not played with the blending tool much. When trying to do these more complicated edits it becomes all the more clear how important it is to become more knowledgeable of the tools, so that one can draw upon what makes sense. It'll be interesting to see what will work best.
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2009, 07:32 PM   #37
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Thanks Gary. Her headshot is from Voyager, actually. Major part of her hair belongs to a woman in the original pic. Tee hee. Thanks for the hints for improvements.
Old April 18 2009, 07:45 PM   #38
Gary7
Rear Admiral

OK, what a did here was use the 'light' slider bar down to the dark end, on hue/saturation. I left out the fingernails, then did a 15% rubber stamp from the hands to tone down the 'pink' coloration. Finally, I did a 15% rubber stamp from the highlights on his head to give a little lightening on the top of his hands, to give a little contrast from the 'matte' appearance. Seems like it works.

Last edited by Gary Sever; April 18 2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old April 18 2009, 07:55 PM   #39
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Shaw wrote: View Post
You should play with the color balance a little too. I don't have much time today, but here is an alternate attempt...

Nice work, Shaw. I especially like how you got the chin shadow to match his beard. The hands look pretty good. If the fingernails were lightened a little, I think it would look even more realistic. What kind of blur technique did you use on his head? I've found the default blur often too much... the other blur controls are tricky to work, as there are so many considerations. It would be great to have a percentage control the default blur. Incidentally, what is the scene from? Looks like a 1st season episode.
Old April 18 2009, 09:00 PM   #40
Gary7
Rear Admiral

I gave Khan a second chance... this time, he decides to join Starfleet and with his superior intelligence, manages to achieve the rank of first officer in record time.
Old April 19 2009, 12:24 AM   #41
Shaw
Commodore

Nice work, Shaw. I especially like how you got the chin shadow to match his beard. The hands look pretty good. If the fingernails were lightened a little, I think it would look even more realistic. What kind of blur technique did you use on his head? I've found the default blur often too much... the other blur controls are tricky to work, as there are so many considerations. It would be great to have a percentage control the default blur. Incidentally, what is the scene from? Looks like a 1st season episode.
Actually the chin shadow I got for free from the original image of Sisko. Here are the two original images (from Balance of Terror and Trials and Tribble-ations) with the final.

Yeah, it could have been better... I'm just really pressed for time lately.

Still, the question about blur is a good one.

How much and where to blur are always the biggest issues when dropping someone into an image... but usually the image gives you the hints you need. Usually if you look at how many pixels it takes to transition from the color of one object to another at an edge, then that is how much blur you'll need (and the Gaussian Blur filter gives you a preview to work with anyways, so you can see how it is effecting your image). And similarly, the blur tool lets you select a strength level.

Also, if you aren't happy with what you are given in an image... change it.

Khan was a big person... so make the person you are putting his head on big as well. Duplicate the background layer, and beef up (or slim down) aspects of the person using the liquify tool. When you are done, remove the rest of the layer other than what you are needing for the person you're working on.

Here is a quick example...

Another great exercise is removing people from images. This should be done when placing heads on people (by removing the original head on a duplicate layer) so that you aren't making the heads too big to cover up the original head. In the example I did above I removed Spock's head first before adding Sisko's.

Oh, and what I use for head sizes (in general) is matching up distances between eyes of the original person, eye level and nose, eyes with placement of ears, etc... there are visual queues to work with that make for great starting points (but every image and person is different).

I still use many of the old techniques, but then again I've been using Photoshop for my work since around 1994 (I still have version 2.5 on one of my systems ). So There might be better ways around somethings that I've never used because the old ways always worked for me (I know that I can do pretty much everything I normally do with at least version 5.5 or later).
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2009, 12:45 AM   #42
Orac
Admiral

VOTE | TOS Avatar Contest #60: Is There In Truth No Beauty?
Orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2009, 02:32 AM   #43
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Thanks for those tips, Shaw. And your very useful before-after samples. I didn't know about liquify--what an amazing tool. I tried it out on the uniform shirt and was able to give a little extra muscle to balance out Sisko and Khan. What a rich function it is... looks like there's a lot to learn about it.

Sorry, when I said "blur tool" I mean the blur filter. The strength setting is rather obvious on the tool, but for the filter I can't find anything. Is there a way to set the strength for that? I'll have to give the Gausian blur a try, as that filter provides strength settings upfront.
Old April 19 2009, 02:33 AM   #44
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Orac, very cool take on Straker. I'll have to see about putting him in the Captain's chair.
Old April 19 2009, 02:35 AM   #45
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Remember those funky looking Vians from "The Empath"?