RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,932
Posts: 5,389,839
Members: 24,720
Currently online: 497
Newest member: MrSpock

TrekToday headlines

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 17 2009, 02:28 AM   #61
Aragorn
Admiral
 
Aragorn's Avatar
 
Re: episodes that are part of two different TV series

When ER and Chicago Hope both premiered on the same night and time slot, Chicago Hope got slaughtered in the ratings. There was a Picket Fences episode where they go to Chicago Hope and after a disagreement, one character says maybe they should've gone to the other hospital. And the doctor replied that they don't talk about the other hospital there.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2009, 02:33 AM   #62
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: episodes that are part of two different TV series

Aragorn wrote: View Post
When ER and Chicago Hope both premiered on the same night and time slot, Chicago Hope got slaughtered in the ratings. There was a Picket Fences episode where they go to Chicago Hope and after a disagreement, one character says maybe they should've gone to the other hospital. And the doctor replied that they don't talk about the other hospital there.
Back then, I always felt ER was the far superior series. Too bad the series descended into suck and fail.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2009, 03:19 AM   #63
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral
 
Zachary Smith's Avatar
 
Location: Lost somewhere in space
Re: episodes that are part of two different TV series

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

:deep breath:

Cheers took place in Boston and had a character named Frasier who later got his own series, Frasier, featuring Daphne and Niles who appeared in Caroline in the City which featured Lea Thompson as Caroline who appeared in Friends, which featured a character named Phoebe who's twin sister was a waitress in the restaurant in Mad About You where Paul Buchman has subleted his apartment to Kramer on Seinfeld. Further the blackout caused by Jamie in MAY effected Mad Man of the People, Ross "dated" the main character in The Single Guy and Frasier and Lilith appeared on Wings! FURTHER characters from Cheers spun off St. Elsewhere!

Yiikes!

And, once again, with Carl Reiner's appearance as Alan Brady on "Mad About You", the entire bunch of shows clearly exist in the same universe as "The Dick Van Dyke " show from the 1960's.
__________________
OHHhhhhh . . . the pain . . . the pain . . .

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2009, 03:26 AM   #64
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral
 
Star Wolf's Avatar
 
Location: ciudad de Los Angeles
Re: episodes that are part of two different TV series

Aragorn wrote: View Post
When ER and Chicago Hope both premiered on the same night and time slot, Chicago Hope got slaughtered in the ratings. There was a Picket Fences episode where they go to Chicago Hope and after a disagreement, one character says maybe they should've gone to the other hospital. And the doctor replied that they don't talk about the other hospital there.
Then there is my favorite Picket Fences episode which didn't make the cut. They just mentioned the FBI agents investigating something weird with cows in Wisconsin but didn't bring up Scully and Mulder by name.
__________________
I'm not crazy! All I Really Need to Know I learned by Watching The Wire
Star Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2009, 03:30 AM   #65
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: episodes that are part of two different TV series

Try this on for size:

St. Elsewhere and Homicide had crossovers.

St. Elsewhere, as previously mentioned, is connected to Cheers, which we've established is connected to many other NBC sitcoms.

The X-Files crossed over with Homicide. So NOW we can link Homicide, X-Files, St. Elsewhere and the NBC sitcoms!

Homicide and Law & Order also had crossovers so we can throw that into the mix as well.


And if we *really* want to get convoluted (though this one is far more a stretch)

Shirley Schmidt on Boston Legal is invited out to dinner to a restaurant in Boston called "Melvilles"

Sound familiar? Melvilles was the restaurant above Cheers. So while not a direct "crossover" of characters it's a name drop that's obviously supposed to infer a connection to Cheers. If we accept this connection, we've obviously got to toss the Boston Legal and The Practice onto the heap of the "Cheers Universe."
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2009, 05:00 AM   #66
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral
 
Zachary Smith's Avatar
 
Location: Lost somewhere in space
Re: episodes that are part of two different TV series

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Try this on for size:

St. Elsewhere and Homicide had crossovers.

St. Elsewhere, as previously mentioned, is connected to Cheers, which we've established is connected to many other NBC sitcoms.

The X-Files crossed over with Homicide. So NOW we can link Homicide, X-Files, St. Elsewhere and the NBC sitcoms!

Homicide and Law & Order also had crossovers so we can throw that into the mix as well.


And if we *really* want to get convoluted (though this one is far more a stretch)

Shirley Schmidt on Boston Legal is invited out to dinner to a restaurant in Boston called "Melvilles"

Sound familiar? Melvilles was the restaurant above Cheers. So while not a direct "crossover" of characters it's a name drop that's obviously supposed to infer a connection to Cheers. If we accept this connection, we've obviously got to toss the Boston Legal and The Practice onto the heap of the "Cheers Universe."
Which means ultimately "Boston Legal" and "The Dick Van Dyke" show are in the same universe! Weird.
__________________
OHHhhhhh . . . the pain . . . the pain . . .

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2009, 05:03 AM   #67
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: episodes that are part of two different TV series

Zachary Smith wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Try this on for size:

St. Elsewhere and Homicide had crossovers.

St. Elsewhere, as previously mentioned, is connected to Cheers, which we've established is connected to many other NBC sitcoms.

The X-Files crossed over with Homicide. So NOW we can link Homicide, X-Files, St. Elsewhere and the NBC sitcoms!

Homicide and Law & Order also had crossovers so we can throw that into the mix as well.


And if we *really* want to get convoluted (though this one is far more a stretch)

Shirley Schmidt on Boston Legal is invited out to dinner to a restaurant in Boston called "Melvilles"

Sound familiar? Melvilles was the restaurant above Cheers. So while not a direct "crossover" of characters it's a name drop that's obviously supposed to infer a connection to Cheers. If we accept this connection, we've obviously got to toss the Boston Legal and The Practice onto the heap of the "Cheers Universe."
Which means ultimately "Boston Legal" and "The Dick Van Dyke" show are in the same universe! Weird.
Yep.

You know, if we keep going with this sooner or later we're going to work Star Trek into all of this!
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2009, 05:08 AM   #68
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral
 
Zachary Smith's Avatar
 
Location: Lost somewhere in space
Re: episodes that are part of two different TV series

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Zachary Smith wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Try this on for size:

St. Elsewhere and Homicide had crossovers.

St. Elsewhere, as previously mentioned, is connected to Cheers, which we've established is connected to many other NBC sitcoms.

The X-Files crossed over with Homicide. So NOW we can link Homicide, X-Files, St. Elsewhere and the NBC sitcoms!

Homicide and Law & Order also had crossovers so we can throw that into the mix as well.


And if we *really* want to get convoluted (though this one is far more a stretch)

Shirley Schmidt on Boston Legal is invited out to dinner to a restaurant in Boston called "Melvilles"

Sound familiar? Melvilles was the restaurant above Cheers. So while not a direct "crossover" of characters it's a name drop that's obviously supposed to infer a connection to Cheers. If we accept this connection, we've obviously got to toss the Boston Legal and The Practice onto the heap of the "Cheers Universe."
Which means ultimately "Boston Legal" and "The Dick Van Dyke" show are in the same universe! Weird.
Yep.

You know, if we keep going with this sooner or later we're going to work Star Trek into all of this!
I would have LOVED to have seen an encounter between Buddy Sorrell and Denny Crane.
__________________
OHHhhhhh . . . the pain . . . the pain . . .

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2009, 06:27 AM   #69
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader
 
Vanyel's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: episodes that are part of two different TV series

The Simpson's also crossed with The Critic and The Flintstones crossed with The Jetson's. In a way The X-Files also crossed with The Simpson's. Isis crosses with SHAZAM.
__________________
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2009, 07:11 AM   #70
Daneel
Rear Admiral
 
Daneel's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto
Re: episodes that are part of two different TV series

NBC's late-90s Saturday-night shows, The Pretender and Profiler, crossed over with each other a couple of times. I watched the former regularly, but not so much the latter, and I remember viewing the two-part crossovers when they aired back-to-back.

I was a little disappointed that The Pretender DVD sets didn't include the Profiler episodes that crossed over, but each one was somewhat self-contained (although I seem to recall the Profiler episodes revealing new facts about the common plot-line), so I suppose it doesn't really matter in the long run.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2009, 07:50 AM   #71
wamdue
Admiral
 
wamdue's Avatar
 
Location: wamdue
Re: episodes that are part of two different TV series

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Zachary Smith wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Try this on for size:

St. Elsewhere and Homicide had crossovers.

St. Elsewhere, as previously mentioned, is connected to Cheers, which we've established is connected to many other NBC sitcoms.

The X-Files crossed over with Homicide. So NOW we can link Homicide, X-Files, St. Elsewhere and the NBC sitcoms!

Homicide and Law & Order also had crossovers so we can throw that into the mix as well.


And if we *really* want to get convoluted (though this one is far more a stretch)

Shirley Schmidt on Boston Legal is invited out to dinner to a restaurant in Boston called "Melvilles"

Sound familiar? Melvilles was the restaurant above Cheers. So while not a direct "crossover" of characters it's a name drop that's obviously supposed to infer a connection to Cheers. If we accept this connection, we've obviously got to toss the Boston Legal and The Practice onto the heap of the "Cheers Universe."
Which means ultimately "Boston Legal" and "The Dick Van Dyke" show are in the same universe! Weird.
Yep.

You know, if we keep going with this sooner or later we're going to work Star Trek into all of this!
if you believe Poobala, Star Trek crossovers with Knightrider, putting it in the same group as Las Vegas, Crossing Jordan, Bewitched, Passions & the Office (US)
__________________
Im Proud of the BBC
wamdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2009, 08:22 AM   #72
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral
 
Zachary Smith's Avatar
 
Location: Lost somewhere in space
Re: episodes that are part of two different TV series

^^

Okay, an encounter between James T. Kirk and Samantha Stevens is too much even for MY brain. Never mind what follows after Endora casts a spell on Maurice and turns him into an Orangutan named "Zaius".
__________________
OHHhhhhh . . . the pain . . . the pain . . .

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2009, 09:27 AM   #73
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader
 
Vanyel's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: episodes that are part of two different TV series

Zachary Smith wrote: View Post
^^

Okay, an encounter between James T. Kirk and Samantha Stevens is too much even for MY brain. Never mind what follows after Endora casts a spell on Maurice and turns him into an Orangutan named "Zaius".
Just a little bit of trivia. Samantha's father, Maurice, was much more powerful than Endora. He once sent her and two of Sam's Aunts to the top of Mount Everest and prevented them from leaving.

I watched way to much daytime TV as a kid.
__________________
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2009, 10:37 AM   #74
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: episodes that are part of two different TV series

Vanyel wrote: View Post
The Simpson's also crossed with The Critic and The Flintstones crossed with The Jetson's. In a way The X-Files also crossed with The Simpson's. Isis crosses with SHAZAM.
It's hard to connect cartoons into all of this given how loose of a contnuity or reality there is. The people on the X-Files aren't four-fingered odd looking yellow people who never age.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2009, 01:36 PM   #75
Kirby
Rear Admiral
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Location: Alt: 5280
View Kirby's Twitter Profile
Re: episodes that are part of two different TV series

I thought of a few more:

Green Acres and The Beverly Hillbillies
Everybody Loves Raymond and The King of Queens
TOS Battlestar Galactica and The A-Team - sort of.
Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
crossovers

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.