Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 17 2009, 02:28 AM   #61
Aragorn
Admiral

Re: episodes that are part of two different TV series

When ER and Chicago Hope both premiered on the same night and time slot, Chicago Hope got slaughtered in the ratings. There was a Picket Fences episode where they go to Chicago Hope and after a disagreement, one character says maybe they should've gone to the other hospital. And the doctor replied that they don't talk about the other hospital there.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2009, 02:33 AM   #62
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Aragorn wrote: View Post
When ER and Chicago Hope both premiered on the same night and time slot, Chicago Hope got slaughtered in the ratings. There was a Picket Fences episode where they go to Chicago Hope and after a disagreement, one character says maybe they should've gone to the other hospital. And the doctor replied that they don't talk about the other hospital there.
Back then, I always felt ER was the far superior series. Too bad the series descended into suck and fail.
Old April 17 2009, 03:19 AM   #63
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

:deep breath:

Cheers took place in Boston and had a character named Frasier who later got his own series, Frasier, featuring Daphne and Niles who appeared in Caroline in the City which featured Lea Thompson as Caroline who appeared in Friends, which featured a character named Phoebe who's twin sister was a waitress in the restaurant in Mad About You where Paul Buchman has subleted his apartment to Kramer on Seinfeld. Further the blackout caused by Jamie in MAY effected Mad Man of the People, Ross "dated" the main character in The Single Guy and Frasier and Lilith appeared on Wings! FURTHER characters from Cheers spun off St. Elsewhere!

Yiikes!

And, once again, with Carl Reiner's appearance as Alan Brady on "Mad About You", the entire bunch of shows clearly exist in the same universe as "The Dick Van Dyke " show from the 1960's.

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2009, 03:26 AM   #64
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Then there is my favorite Picket Fences episode which didn't make the cut. They just mentioned the FBI agents investigating something weird with cows in Wisconsin but didn't bring up Scully and Mulder by name.
Old April 17 2009, 03:30 AM   #65
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Try this on for size:

St. Elsewhere and Homicide had crossovers.

St. Elsewhere, as previously mentioned, is connected to Cheers, which we've established is connected to many other NBC sitcoms.

The X-Files crossed over with Homicide. So NOW we can link Homicide, X-Files, St. Elsewhere and the NBC sitcoms!

Homicide and Law & Order also had crossovers so we can throw that into the mix as well.

And if we *really* want to get convoluted (though this one is far more a stretch)

Shirley Schmidt on Boston Legal is invited out to dinner to a restaurant in Boston called "Melvilles"

Sound familiar? Melvilles was the restaurant above Cheers. So while not a direct "crossover" of characters it's a name drop that's obviously supposed to infer a connection to Cheers. If we accept this connection, we've obviously got to toss the Boston Legal and The Practice onto the heap of the "Cheers Universe."
Old April 17 2009, 05:00 AM   #66
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

Try this on for size:

St. Elsewhere, as previously mentioned, is connected to Cheers, which we've established is connected to many other NBC sitcoms.

The X-Files crossed over with Homicide. So NOW we can link Homicide, X-Files, St. Elsewhere and the NBC sitcoms!

Homicide and Law & Order also had crossovers so we can throw that into the mix as well.

And if we *really* want to get convoluted (though this one is far more a stretch)

Shirley Schmidt on Boston Legal is invited out to dinner to a restaurant in Boston called "Melvilles"

Sound familiar? Melvilles was the restaurant above Cheers. So while not a direct "crossover" of characters it's a name drop that's obviously supposed to infer a connection to Cheers. If we accept this connection, we've obviously got to toss the Boston Legal and The Practice onto the heap of the "Cheers Universe."
Which means ultimately "Boston Legal" and "The Dick Van Dyke" show are in the same universe! Weird.

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Old April 17 2009, 05:03 AM   #67
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Zachary Smith wrote: View Post
Try this on for size:

Which means ultimately "Boston Legal" and "The Dick Van Dyke" show are in the same universe! Weird.
Yep.

You know, if we keep going with this sooner or later we're going to work Star Trek into all of this!
Old April 17 2009, 05:08 AM   #68
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

Try this on for size:

Yep.

You know, if we keep going with this sooner or later we're going to work Star Trek into all of this!
I would have LOVED to have seen an encounter between Buddy Sorrell and Denny Crane.

Old April 17 2009, 06:27 AM   #69
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

The Simpson's also crossed with The Critic and The Flintstones crossed with The Jetson's. In a way The X-Files also crossed with The Simpson's. Isis crosses with SHAZAM.
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2009, 07:11 AM   #70
Daneel
Rear Admiral

NBC's late-90s Saturday-night shows, The Pretender and Profiler, crossed over with each other a couple of times. I watched the former regularly, but not so much the latter, and I remember viewing the two-part crossovers when they aired back-to-back.

I was a little disappointed that The Pretender DVD sets didn't include the Profiler episodes that crossed over, but each one was somewhat self-contained (although I seem to recall the Profiler episodes revealing new facts about the common plot-line), so I suppose it doesn't really matter in the long run.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2009, 07:50 AM   #71
wamdue
Admiral

Try this on for size:

Yep.

if you believe Poobala, Star Trek crossovers with Knightrider, putting it in the same group as Las Vegas, Crossing Jordan, Bewitched, Passions & the Office (US)
Old April 17 2009, 08:22 AM   #72
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

^^

Okay, an encounter between James T. Kirk and Samantha Stevens is too much even for MY brain. Never mind what follows after Endora casts a spell on Maurice and turns him into an Orangutan named "Zaius".

Old April 17 2009, 09:27 AM   #73
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

^^

Okay, an encounter between James T. Kirk and Samantha Stevens is too much even for MY brain. Never mind what follows after Endora casts a spell on Maurice and turns him into an Orangutan named "Zaius".
Just a little bit of trivia. Samantha's father, Maurice, was much more powerful than Endora. He once sent her and two of Sam's Aunts to the top of Mount Everest and prevented them from leaving.

I watched way to much daytime TV as a kid.
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2009, 10:37 AM   #74
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Vanyel wrote: View Post
The Simpson's also crossed with The Critic and The Flintstones crossed with The Jetson's. In a way The X-Files also crossed with The Simpson's. Isis crosses with SHAZAM.
It's hard to connect cartoons into all of this given how loose of a contnuity or reality there is. The people on the X-Files aren't four-fingered odd looking yellow people who never age.
Old April 17 2009, 01:36 PM   #75
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I thought of a few more:

Green Acres and The Beverly Hillbillies
Everybody Loves Raymond and The King of Queens
TOS Battlestar Galactica and The A-Team - sort of.
Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote