Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the pilot...
Excellent 74 35.58%
Above Average 89 42.79%
Average 27 12.98%
Below Average 9 4.33%
Poor 9 4.33%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 15 2009, 12:55 AM   #31
Gregsmack
Captain

Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

^ Happen to have any links? I'm interested in what she has to say.
Old April 15 2009, 01:01 AM   #32
Gregsmack
Captain

GodBen wrote: View Post
It was interesting, I'm certainly willing to give the show a shot once the series begins next year. I'd say it was above average.

GodBen:

Old April 15 2009, 01:11 AM   #33
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Gregsmack wrote: View Post
Old April 15 2009, 01:16 AM   #34
Gregsmack
Captain

Good point.
Old April 15 2009, 01:45 AM   #35
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Yoda wrote: View Post
I went with Above Average. Overall I think I'm more hopeful for the series than I was after reading about it, and viewing a couple of trailers.
Old April 15 2009, 01:50 AM   #36
Gregsmack
Captain

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Yoda wrote: View Post
I went with Above Average. Overall I think I'm more hopeful for the series than I was after reading about it, and viewing a couple of trailers.
Old April 15 2009, 03:12 AM   #37
MetroKid
Lieutenant Commander

I enjoyed it a great deal. I agree that the first 30 minutes were a bit slow, but it progressed nicely.

I also enjoyed Bear McCreary working in some musical cues from Battlestar, it was a nice, and very subtle, touch.
Old April 15 2009, 06:03 AM   #38
phrog
Lieutenant Commander

MetroKid wrote: View Post
I enjoyed it a great deal. I agree that the first 30 minutes were a bit slow, but it progressed nicely.

I also enjoyed Bear McCreary working in some musical cues from Battlestar, it was a nice, and very subtle, touch.
The Adama family theme was an especially nice, subtle moment that caused both me and the fiance to get a little choked up. Overall, the show, I thought, was excellent and tossed aside any fears I might've had about it. The acting was EXCELLENT as I would've expected from the folks involved in producing it, the show looked stellar, the music was actually a bit subtle in places, but rather moving in others with little notes of BSG in there.

I bought fully all the Cylon creation stuff, thought the holoband was an interesting concept which I'm hoping doesn't get overused or overpowered, and all in all thought it a good torch bearer for the franchise and storyline. It kept the believable, realistic progression of society and technological feel and the focus on character moments that I've come to expect while adding some distinct and interesting political and racial issues that I hadn't seen coming.

I'm on board.
Old April 15 2009, 06:08 AM   #39
TEH BABA
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to TEH BABA

Hot chicks.
Old April 15 2009, 06:51 AM   #40
Agent Richard07
Retired

You guys don't have to put everything in spoiler code. This is a spoiler thread afterall and besides, it's easier to not have to click on the code box to read each post.

Anyway, I just saw it. It was pretty slow. All the people who've been complaining about BSG being a soap opera probably won't like Caprica. This is definately not action-packed. I thought it was pretty good sci fi though, and I like that we're getting a look into BSG's colonial society. I'd say that the "slow stuff" was average and the sci fi elements along with the BSG touches were excellent. In the end, I voted "above average".

Here are some of the highlights...

- The pilot didn't throw artificial intelligence or the creation of robots at us on a superficial level, it touched on issues like memory, consciousness and what makes a person a person, and it did so in more depth than I expected. I thought there was some good stuff in there about the building blocks of memory, and how we leave parts of ourselves (records/impressions on others) as we move through life. This was explored through Zoe, a 16 year old girl who was killed, yet "lives" on, first in a virtual environment, then in an actual cylon body as a conglomeration of her "parts". I thought that what was presented was well done and pretty effective.

- Looks like "God" will also play a role in Caprica. Made me wonder if the development of the cylons as well as the attempt to return of Zoe to the flesh will include a metaphysical element in addition to the nuts and bolts of memory and machinery.

- It was fun to see a society that looks just like our own, but with a BSG twist. Sure there were little things like the use of "cubits" and the word "frak", but I'm mainly talking about scientists and corporate suits observing a cylon in action in a test facility. That's an interesting mix of two worlds.

Other observations...

- The pilot reminded me of an episode of The Outer Limits with higher production values.

- Zoe looked a lot like a younger Zooey Deschanel.

- I didn't think the girls would play such a prominent role in the pilot.

- It was nice to see William B. Davis. His glasses reminded me of Tyrell's from Blade Runner.

- A lot of the tech was pretty cool.

Final thoughts...

- I didn't mind that the first cylon prototype was actually a 16 year old girl placed into a cylon frame. I find it interesting that the race of robots who wiped out mankind started off that way. It's a far cry from what we would have expected.

- Does this show contradict what we know about cylons and their development? I don't think so. Virtual Zoe never struck me as more advanced than the centurions, she struck me as representing the building blocks of memory and consciousness which will be essential in the creation of sentient robots. Her existence looks like it will also lead to resurrection technology. A more advanced version of her could also serve as a "head character". Maybe that's what those head people were... Advanced cylons from another era. Now what about Zoe living in a humanoid body and looking like a human in an era where cylons aren't supposed to "look like us"? I thought we'd see that in the pilot, but we didn't and we might never see it in the series. If we do, I suppose she could be kept a secret.

- They wasted Anna Galvin on a cameo. I hope we see her again.

- I don't think that we'll ever get to see the cylon war or the intervention of the Final Five and that's a shame. That's unless the show can last and jumps ahead a bit.

- Speaking of lasting, I'm up in the air about how long this show will last. On one hand, many will see it as watered down BSG and it'll get cancelled after a season due to a lack of an audience. On the other hand, it looks like a show that can be done cheaply and it might do moderately well enough to justify a second season or more.

- Having a drama like this set on some weird planet called "Caprica" could be distracting and might make the show inaccessible to non-BSG fans. It does come off as a little too "out there".

That's all for now. I'll be watching the series next year.

Last edited by Agent Richard07; April 15 2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old April 15 2009, 07:00 AM   #41
TEH BABA
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to TEH BABA

Are lacy and zoe lovers?
Old April 15 2009, 07:10 AM   #42
Agent Richard07
Retired

TEH BABA wrote: View Post
Are lacy and zoe lovers?
They're friends, but I suppose it's possible that they experimented at the virtual club at some point. I know you're joking around, but I actually wouldn't put it past them.
Old April 15 2009, 07:26 AM   #43
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Does this show contradict what we know about cylons and their development? I don't think so. Virtual Zoe never struck me as more advanced than the centurions, she struck me as representing the building blocks of memory and consciousness which will be essential in the creation of sentient robots. Her existence looks like it will also lead to resurrection technology. A more advanced version of her could also serve as a "head character". Maybe that's what those head people were... Advanced cylons from another era. Now what about Zoe living in a humanoid body and looking like a human in an era where cylons aren't supposed to "look like us"? I thought we'd see that in the pilot, but we didn't and we might never see it in the series. If we do, I suppose she could be kept a secret.
What happened to Zoe was handled very, very well. I was pleasantly surprised with how much it didn't contradict the BSG backstory. Oh Zoe. She certainly left more than footprints when her brief life ended, didn't she? Little did she know what destruction her short life would leave in its wake in decades to come.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.

Last edited by Dorian Thompson; April 15 2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old April 15 2009, 07:36 AM   #44
CommanderTrip
Captain

TEH BABA wrote: View Post
Are lacy and zoe lovers?
We won't know anything about it until we get the word from Quiznos.
Old April 15 2009, 07:54 AM   #45
aelius
Commander

The intro at the beginning said
Caprica
58 years before the fall
That would place it six years before the beginning of the Cylon revolt.
I come to that number from the number of days into the Cylon war the Adama flashback from Razor was set at. The flashback in the movie didn't have the intro, but the webisodes were expanded and gave a time. I forget exactly how many days it was, but I calculated at the time that it was 12 years into the war. And that was the last day of fighting.
Since the war ended 40 years before the fall, that only leaves six years.
Doesn't seem like much to go from the invention of Cylons to their revolt does it? I guess they develope at machine speeds.
That, and the Caprican government was probably producing them quickly to do their dirty work for them.
Proud Member of the TrekBBS Armada