Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 9 2009, 09:03 PM   #76
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: Nolan 'Unsure' about Batman Sequel

Icemizer wrote: View Post
Tuln, the Joker as presented by Nolan was way to one dimensional and missed out on a truely insane, warped world view Joker that could have been. I only felt he really captured the Joker once in the whole movie and thats when he pushed the button and the hospital didnt fully explode.
Two parts added in would have made things better for the character.
Scene One when the commisioner was killed drinking the poisoned liquor he should have died laughing and and with the Joker smile on his face.
Scene Two when the cops lifted the shirt of the guy with the bomb sewn into him, it should have been put in like a clown face with the blinking light as the clowns nose.
What I liked about the Joker in this movie was the he was truly a psychopath and not some cartoon version of one. And I think having the clown motif everywhere would have put into a Tim Burton movie.
Old April 9 2009, 09:45 PM   #77
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Tuln, the Joker as presented by Nolan was way to one dimensional and missed out on a truely insane, warped world view Joker that could have been. I only felt he really captured the Joker once in the whole movie and thats when he pushed the button and the hospital didnt fully explode.
Two parts added in would have made things better for the character.
Scene One when the commisioner was killed drinking the poisoned liquor he should have died laughing and and with the Joker smile on his face.
Scene Two when the cops lifted the shirt of the guy with the bomb sewn into him, it should have been put in like a clown face with the blinking light as the clowns nose.
What I liked about the Joker in this movie was the he was truly a psychopath and not some cartoon version of one. And I think having the clown motif everywhere would have put into a Tim Burton movie.
I agree..and I think the best scene in the entire movie is he speech Joker gives Batman in the interogation room and at the end...those two scenes made the movie..IMO..

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2009, 10:40 PM   #78
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Zoom and Scorpio you both prove my point. Nolans Joker was just a nutcase who wore makeup. Nothing defined the character. He was just an anarchist. No style, no cleverness. He just wanted to be the opposite of the Batman and he didnt even get that right.
Have you read The Killing Joke? That was the Joker. Nothing Nolans Joker did even came close. He didnt even come up with any creative plans but used the same tactic twice. Save the D.A or the girl/ Save boat A or boat B.
There were brief flashes of what this Joker could have been but all to brief and unfullfilling.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2009, 09:29 PM   #79
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
I think David fincher, alfonso cuaron and possibly a peaul greengrass or darren arsnofsky would be suitable if not Nolan
No Paul Greengrass unless someone buys this man a fucking tripod! Seriously, I got way too sick of all the shaky-cam gimmicks in The Bourne Ultimatum.

I can easily picture Johnny Depp as a replacement Joker but I think they'd have to wait another movie for that. I'd be more interested in using Harley Quinn as a way to keep the Joker's presence in the movie without doing an actual recast.

And while I know some people think that the Lazarus Pit doesn't fit in with Nolan's realistic aesthetic, I don't think that this franchise is finished with Ra's Al-Ghul yet. In fact, towards the end of The Dark Knight, I kept expecting Ra's Al-Ghul to show up just to say to Bruce, "I told you so."
Old April 10 2009, 09:52 PM   #80
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Zoom and Scorpio you both prove my point. Nolans Joker was just a nutcase who wore makeup. Nothing defined the character.
I think we saw a different movie.

He was just an anarchist.
And a total one. Not a political one, not a social one, just anarchy is a pure undiluted form. Chilling.

No style, no cleverness.
The opening bank heist scene was clever. The jail break was clever.

He just wanted to be the opposite of the Batman and he didnt even get that right.
He certainly got underneath his skin.

Have you read The Killing Joke?
Yes. It's great.

That was the Joker.
It was A Joker. Lots of different Jokers, like lots of different Batmans. Both characters have been reinterpreted over time. What makes them great is the reinvention without destroying their core.

The 1960s Joker is VERY different than the 1990s Joker. Or the Dark Knight Returns Joker.

Nothing Nolans Joker did even came close. He didnt even come up with any creative plans but used the same tactic twice. Save the D.A or the girl/ Save boat A or boat B.
They were questions for the Batman and Gotham...do you let people die? Do you let bad people die? Where is the moral/ethical line? And ultimately, the Joker is right, no matter what, someone is going to die.

There were brief flashes of what this Joker could have been but all to brief and unfullfilling.
I disagree.
Old April 10 2009, 11:27 PM   #81
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Somewhere JacksonArcher is having a coronary.
Ha. Not quite.

At this point I'm pretty confident Nolan will return for another installment. I've heard rumors circulating that part of his deal to direct Inception was the "guarantee" that he direct the next Batman -- nothing concrete, but something more along the lines of, "We'll do this movie if you do this movie". Under the table type stuff.

Regardless of Internet conjecture, I think Nolan will do a third. I'd honestly be surprised if he didn't. He already mapped out a trilogy with co-scribe David Goyer. Of course those plans are going to need to be revised in light of Heath Ledger's untimely death, but then again those plans were altered anyway with the "supposed" ending of The Dark Knight.

I can see the appeal of doing one last "hurrah", one last attempt to out-do himself. It's a fantastic challenge. Then again Nolan had an even bigger challenge at resurrecting a dead franchise and he succeeded there. He defied expectations. Twice. So I think he can pull it off one more time. I have faith in him. I've honestly not been disappointed with any of his films. He's the type of filmmaker that just keeps on getting better and better with every film he does, and the moment you hear his name attached to a project, no matter if you know anything about the project or not, you get instantly and automatically excited.

Bring it on, I say.
Old April 11 2009, 01:43 AM   #82
Jax
Admiral

I din't know if anyone knew but TDK crossed the $1 billion mark, for so long it was no near we all thought it wouldn't...

$1,001,921,825
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2009, 12:41 AM   #83
the_wildcard
Rear Admiral

A third Batman movie will be made regardless. Hollywood never puts quality above greed, haha.
the_wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2009, 07:24 PM   #84
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Screw the IMDB piece, that section of the source article where Nolan dissects the way he directed the interrogation scene is awesome.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/hero...opher-n-1.html
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote