Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 12 2009, 05:31 AM   #16
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: episodes that are part of two different TV series

Extrocomp wrote: View Post
I just want to clear something up. I'm asking for examples of episodes that were released in two different Complete Season DVD collections. I know it's not really the same thing as being part of two different series, so perhaps I should've given this thread a better title.

By the way, I really hate the website poobala.com/crossoverlist.html. The guy considers the slightest cameo or name-drop to be a crossover and makes the ridiculous assertion that if two shows have one crossover they must exist in the same universe. IMO, there should be at least two crossovers.
Such a theory makes little sense.

Back in the day almost all NBC sitcoms took place in the same universe, really the same New York City. Mad About You, Caroline in the City, Friends and The Single Guy and Seinfeld all took place in the same universe.

It was revealed in a MaY episode that Paul Buchman subleted his old apartment to Kramer (of Seinfeld), Jamie Buchman (of Mad About You) once appeared on Friends -showing up in Central Perk, Caroline (of Caroline in the City) once showed up on Friends and Ross (from Friends) showed up on "The Single Guy." NBC once did a "Black Out Thursday" where 3 of the night's shows (Mad About You, Friends, and The Single Guy) all suffered from the same blackout caused in MaY. (Seinfeld declined to participate in the TV event.)

All shows too place "in the same universe" though there's contradictions, Seinfeld for example made reference to "Mad About You." Though it's possilbe "a Mad About You" exsisted in Seinfeld's universe just not necessairly the exact same one *we* saw in the real world. (I believe The Single Guy also made reference to the show "Friends" existing in their universe. Again, it's like a show called "Friends" exsists but not necessairly the same Friends we all saw in the real world.)

Man, TV and sitcoms were fun in the 90s.

But the OP's "intent" with this thread is thin. A TV series' episode appearing on another series' box set doesn't make that episode "part of that series."

Crossovers between series can only make each series "part of that series" in a abstract sense even if the two series don't share the same DVD set.

Mork and Mindy, Laverne and Shirley, Joni Love Cachi and Happy Days all took place in the same universe (the previous three all spining off from Happy Days, though Mork only appeared in Happy Days as a dream and obviously took place many years after Happy Days.)

All of the CSIs take place in the same universe as each new one was spun off the previous one through a cross-over episode.

Cheers, Frasier and the Tortellis all take place in the same universe (the last two spinning off Cheers.)

So this can really be a convoluted topic.

Old April 12 2009, 06:45 AM   #17
nx1701g
Admiral

^ Add Wings to the Cheers, Frasier listing. Frasier had a layover at Sandpiper Air.
Old April 12 2009, 06:50 AM   #18
RobertScorpio
Pariah

HIj'Qa wrote: View Post
Spend much time here ?
Yes...I found this site like four years ago..love it

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2009, 09:22 AM   #19
Aragorn
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
It was revealed in a MaY episode that Paul Buchman subleted his old apartment to Kramer (of Seinfeld), Jamie Buchman (of Mad About You) once appeared on Friends -showing up in Central Perk, Caroline (of Caroline in the City) once showed up on Friends and Ross (from Friends) showed up on "The Single Guy." NBC once did a "Black Out Thursday" where 3 of the night's shows (Mad About You, Friends, and The Single Guy) all suffered from the same blackout caused in MaY. (Seinfeld declined to participate in the TV event.)
And since Lisa Kudrow was on Mad About You before Friends, suddenly her Friends character had a twin sister!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2009, 09:48 AM   #20
Level 2 Diagnostic
Captain

But the OP's "intent" with this thread is thin. A TV series' episode appearing on another series' box set doesn't make that episode "part of that series."
Geez, why are people getting so hung up over the topic title? Just pretend the topic is "episodes that are part of two different TV series' box sets" and all will be right with the world.
Level 2 Diagnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2009, 10:25 AM   #21
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Level 2 Diagnostic wrote: View Post
Geez, why are people getting so hung up over the topic title? Just pretend the topic is "episodes that are part of two different TV series' box sets" and all will be right with the world.
Probably because there not that many examples of this!!! But is also done as just a marketing stunt without any connection between two series. I know Warner Bros did that a few years back.

Your real topic is limited!
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2009, 10:32 AM   #22
RoJoHen
Awesome

Not really the boxset thing, but David E. Kelley did this a couple times with Ally McBeal, The Practice, and Boston Public. Part 1 of an episode would happen in one show, and then Part 2 would happen in the other show. It was kind of annoying, actually, as it assumed you actually regularly watched all of his shows.
Old April 12 2009, 12:53 PM   #23
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

Without wanting to join the debate about whether or not the thread is misleadingly titled, I've been thinking about this some more. It's quite common in the UK for episodes of another series to feature on a box set. For instance, The XYY Man, The Sandbaggers and Strangers all feature a (different) three part Crown Court serial, as it showcases an earlier performance by the respective stars of those series. Likewise, there's an episode of The Man in Room 17 on the Randall and Hopkirk -Deceased box set, as it features an early appearance by Mike Pratt. An episode of Man in a Suitcase on the Department S box set, which features Rosemary Nichols. A tv play with Peter Wyngarde called "The Crossfire" on the Jason King box set. The Persuaders! box set has an episode of The Saint that's been considered a dry run for the later series. And so on... In these cases, the connections are often fairly tenuous, so you wouldn't really call them part of the other series - they're just there for curiosity value...

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2009, 02:00 PM   #24
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
^ Add Wings to the Cheers, Frasier listing. Frasier had a layover at Sandpiper Air.
Ah! That's right he did! I forgot about that. Wings was made by many of the same writers/producers as Frasier most notably Chirstopher "Not the Doc Brown One" Lloyd.

Frasier also exsists in the Dr. Pepper universe.
Old April 12 2009, 08:57 PM   #25
Harvey
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Not really the boxset thing, but David E. Kelley did this a couple times with Ally McBeal, The Practice, and Boston Public. Part 1 of an episode would happen in one show, and then Part 2 would happen in the other show. It was kind of annoying, actually, as it assumed you actually regularly watched all of his shows.
Boston Legal, too. Besides being an outright spin-off of The Practice, there was at least one crossover from Boston Public (the principal, whose name I forget, made an appearance on Boston Legal).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2009, 09:41 PM   #26
judge alba
senior street judge

angel and buffy? think they crossed over or something

pretty sure i saw angel in a few buffy episodes after the angel series started
Firm as a mountain.
Strike as powerful as thunder.
judge alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2009, 11:12 AM   #27
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

I think the Chris Carter shows and the David E. Kelley shows are the biggest examples of this... although the Chris Carter shows probably exemplify this more because they were able to use X-files as a place to provide endings for two other shows.

Back when there were "comedy nights", there were also a few night long crossovers - four different families go to Disney World and somehow meet each other! - but plot wise they're pretty much unrelated.

I suppose the common thread is that shows in the same franchise or by the same creator usually have these integrated stories that span episodes of two different shows or have single episodes that are someone integral to both shows.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2009, 12:19 PM   #28
Dr. Drake Ramoray
Commodore

Magnum P.I. crossed over with both Murder, She Wrote and with Simon & Simon.
Dr. Drake Ramoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2009, 03:11 PM   #29
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

What I wish to see again is how the story which began on Third Watch with the paramedic Carlos Nieto being exposed to some super flu was concluded on the short lived Medical Investigations. Neither is on disc and the former only shows on A&E. They also crossed over with ER.
Old April 13 2009, 03:40 PM   #30
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile

rofeta wrote: View Post
I thought for sure that the JAG NCIS episodes would also appear on the NCIS DVDs but apparently they don't, which I think is a bit odd.
Nope, they're not part of any NCIS DVD releases so far. What irks me about this one is that they even recut the 2 JAG episodes to make a single NCIS episode ("The Beginning"?) which I remember watching on TV in the NCIS timeslot. Why they at least didn't include that is a mystery to me.

Fortunately, I was able to record the two JAG eps when they ran on USA a little while back, so I just burned 'em to DVD and stuck 'em in the NCIS S1 boxset. Good enough for now, I suppose.

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote