Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 11 2009, 01:00 AM   #691
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
So what does the ending say will ultimately happen to Kirk? Will he have to give up the Enterprise and go back to the Academy? (As it should be?)
Why? He's graduated.
Iano just said he wasn't:

I don't believe they are at the point of graduation yet, and the events in the movie immediately follow the Kobayashi Maru incident, so there's no time lapse.
And even if he had already completed his Academy time, at the *most* he could have graduated as a Lieutenant.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 01:09 AM   #692
Iano
Lieutenant

So what does the ending say will ultimately happen to Kirk? Will he have to give up the Enterprise and go back to the Academy? (As it should be?)
Why? He's graduated.

I don't believe they are at the point of graduation yet, and the events in the movie immediately follow the Kobayashi Maru incident, so there's no time lapse.
And even if he had already completed his Academy time, at the *most* he could have graduated as a Lieutenant.
I don't remember if the ending constituted graduation or not, here is what I do recall:

Post-Kobyashi Maru scene he is put on suspension.

Post-saving the world he is given a medal and given the rank of Captain (acting?) as relief for Pike.

I would assume this constituted graduation at this point.
Iano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 01:17 AM   #693
Tom Servo
Commodore

Iano wrote: View Post

Why? He's graduated.

I don't remember if the ending constituted graduation or not, here is what I do recall:

Post-Kobyashi Maru scene he is put on suspension.

Post-saving the world he is given a medal and given the rank of Captain (acting?) as relief for Pike.

I would assume this constituted graduation at this point.
So I am assuming the last shot in the film is the Enterprise warping away...

Might it be the one from the trailer when the ship has the giant spacedock structure behind it?

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 01:28 AM   #694
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

But again, does the film resolve the question of what will *ultimately* happen to Kirk? I mean, those "Cadet to Captain" rumors aren't true, are they? (meaning, they don't give him the permanent rank of Captain at the end of the film?)

As for Pike, are his injuries as serious as they were in "The Menagerie"? Do they allow for the possibility that Pike will return to duty, and if so, is Kirk only filling in until that happens?

And one other thing: what about Pike's original first officer?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old April 11 2009, 01:32 AM   #695
Tom Servo
Commodore

But again, does the film resolve the question of what will *ultimately* happen to Kirk? I mean, those "Cadet to Captain" rumors aren't true, are they? (meaning, they don't give him the permanent rank of Captain at the end of the film?)

As for Pike, are his injuries as serious as they were in "The Menagerie"? Do they allow for the possibility that Pike will return to duty, and if so, is Kirk only filling in until that happens?

Well seeing as how the crews were thrown together in order to respond to the Vulcans distress call, I can see the ship not having an actual "first officer", and that Spock is probably the one who is second in command, like in the film. After him, perhaps the chief engineer was third in command, but he was killed during the assault on the drill.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Old April 11 2009, 01:33 AM   #696
Iano
Lieutenant

It's not a perm rank at the end of the film, they specifically state it is relief Captain for Pike.

The don't play his injuries off to be serious at all, its implied temporary.

I'm pretty sure Spock is the "original" first officer. He promotes Spock up to acting captain when he leaves the ship.
Old April 11 2009, 01:47 AM   #697
Captain X
Rear Admiral

Does Nero realize that this is an AU?
Captain X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 01:57 AM   #698
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Questions...

1) Does Old Spock identify himself to Kirk on Delta Vega?

2) Is Delta Vega actually called "Delta Vega" in the film?

3) Are Uncle Frank and Sam Kirk seen in the film?

4) Are Nero and his gang identified as Romulans?
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 01:58 AM   #699
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Kelso wrote: View Post
I'm fairly sure they are. I remember reading that we'd see Sam at some point. Also that Frank, the abusive, violent drunk, would be the one to raise the boys this time (don't know why Winona wouldn't...she *is* their mother, after all), which would explain why Kirk is such a loser when we first meet him.

It's not a perm rank at the end of the film, they specifically state it is relief Captain for Pike.
Good.

I know I keep harping on this, but I would hope that all of you reading this would realize how totally stupid it would be to give a fresh-faced cadet the permanent rank of Captain.

The don't play his injuries off to be serious at all, its implied temporary.
VERY good. Pike is cool. Glad to see he'll recover. I wonder if Kirk and Spock will serve with him again?

I'm pretty sure Spock is the "original" first officer. He promotes Spock up to acting captain when he leaves the ship.
So much for Number One, then... Would have been nice to see who they might have tapped to play her.

Come to think of it, so much for the Talosians, since apparently this all means that "The Menagerie" can't happen as it originally did.
Old April 11 2009, 02:23 AM   #700
Iano
Lieutenant

Questions...

1. Yes
2. I don't think they name it.
3. I'm gonna say no on Uncle Frank, however... when he steals the mustang he flys by this kid and I forget the name he shouted out, it may have been Sam.
4. Yes
Old April 11 2009, 02:24 AM   #701
Neftoon
Lieutenant

You don't see uncle frank, during the young kirk scene, other then the cop, the only adult is a voice over the phone (car phone/panel). The scene worked much better then i thought it would when i first saw the trailer, and it doesn't last too long getting pinekirk quite quickly, who gives a performance that believably could become shatnerkirk. I watched a couple of TOS episodes before and after and they have the same feel. I also got the impression that admiral pike pulled some strings to get kirk command of the enterprise, due to him saving so many people.
Old April 11 2009, 02:36 AM   #702
Tom Servo
Commodore

Questions...

1. Yes
3. I'm gonna say no on Uncle Frank, however... when he steals the mustang he flys by this kid and I forget the name he shouted out, it may have been Sam.
4. Yes

Iano...we owe so much to you!

A few more if you don't mind?

I know there is a major battle with the Kelvin and the Naranda. At some point in the film, does the Enterprise go at it with the Naranda?

Also, do we see the rest of the fleet that is destroyed at Vulcan, before they are destroyed. Since I think that it was learned that the rest of the fleet goes on ahead of the Enterprise, to answer the Vulcans distress call.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Old April 11 2009, 02:41 AM   #703
Neftoon
Lieutenant

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
Questions...

1. Yes
4. Yes

I know there is a major battle with the Kelvin and the Naranda. At some point in the film, does the Enterprise go at it with the Naranda?

Also, do we see the rest of the fleet that is destroyed at Vulcan, before they are destroyed. Since I think that it was learned that the rest of the fleet goes on ahead of the Enterprise, to answer the Vulcans distress call.
Yes you get to see the enterprise go up against the narada, and you get also briefly get to see the other ships before they warp to vulcan, and at least parts of them at vulcan
Old April 11 2009, 02:46 AM   #704
Iano
Lieutenant

Neftoon wrote: View Post

1. Yes
4. Yes

Yes you get to see the enterprise go up against the narada, and you get also briefly get to see the other ships before they warp to vulcan, and at least parts of them at vulcan
Yep! Although the Enterprise is not the only ship involved in the final battle. ;-)
Old April 11 2009, 02:48 AM   #705
Tom Servo
Commodore

Neftoon wrote: View Post

Yep! Although the Enterprise is not the only ship involved in the final battle. ;-)
If you mean the Jellyfish being involved, nice, but if you are saying that there are other starfleet ships involved...AWESOME!

As a VFX student, I can't wait to see what ILM had done with this film....

Member of Red Sox Nation