Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 57 79.17%
Above Average 15 20.83%
Average 0 0%
Below Average 0 0%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 10 2009, 12:09 AM   #76
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: Lost 5x12: "Dead is Dead"

Excellent episode, best of the season so far. Lots of Ben and Locke, no Kate or Jack.
Old April 10 2009, 12:35 AM   #77
Mistral
Vice Admiral

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
Another thought I had....how did Widmore go back and forth between the Island and the outside world? I mean yes, there's the sub. But the sub belongs to Dharma, and the Others wouldn't have had it until the Purge. Widmore had to have been traveling back and forth well before the Purge, because that's the only way for the math on Penny's age to work out.

So the Others must have had some other means of leaving the Island before the Purge. Actually, same issue applies to Richard, re: his visiting Locke during his childhood.
Well, there's the whole "dropped in Tunisia" thing...

Old April 10 2009, 12:40 AM   #78
Mr Light
Admiral

^^ That would mean moving the Island every time though. More likely he just sneaked off in a small boat to the nearest inhabited island. How does he find his way back? In the present Hawking (his wife on the Island) controls the Lighthouse which tells you how to find the Island. Coincidence?

Old April 10 2009, 01:04 AM   #79
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
My take is that Ben broke the rules to return to the Island for his own selfish purposes and didn't want to be judged, but Locke caught his hand in the cookie jar and he had to play his cover story through to the bitter end. This is why that horrible look comes on Ben when he has to go in the Vent and he tells Sun to tell Des he's sorry, because he sees that his lies all went for naught and now he's gonna die. ... What lies in the shadow of the Statue? A future ancient structure location to visit in Season Six! It's something only Widmore (or a Native) would know about, so it was used as a code phrase by Widmore's secret agents he put on 316 when he learned that the O(5) were all getting on the plane. You might wonder why Widmore didn't get on the plane himself but I'm sure he didn't want to risk dying in the crash. He wants his cannon fodder to make sure the way is safe and give him a safe path to the Island first.
It was nice to see Locke being pro-active.
Old April 10 2009, 03:08 AM   #80
Gertch
Admiral

Watching this again I don't think my quasi-theory of Locke being Smokey is true. He really is Locke but something is going on with him in regards to him knowing "things."

I like how Ben has shown twice the affect of growing up without a mother has had on him.
Old April 10 2009, 11:06 AM   #81
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

I had to give this episode an Excellent. It really made me sympathize with Ben and realize that he does have some good in him.
Old April 10 2009, 11:45 AM   #82
zengoth
Fleet Captain

above average. Ben & Locke episodes always shine for me. And it's interesting to remember how Ben is such an important part of this saga and he wasn't even introduced until mid S2.

Only gripe: While Lapidus became the fall guy again (literally - poor guy never seems to get a break), I felt Sun was just stuck in the wrong story, like she was waiting for a bus. I hope there is a better reason for her to be involved in this plot besides just being separated from her husband so we get a big Penny/Desmond reunion episode in the future. (good news- you're alive! bad news - i left our baby with my mother)

They could have left her sitting on that porch for the rest of the season and I doubt she'd be missed...
Old April 10 2009, 04:01 PM   #83
mimic
Rear Admiral

I liked whoever's idea it was that the "what lies in the shadow of the statue" might refer to not being truthful to Cerberus.

"And since I do not go into nuclear reactor cores I am free to trouble my brain over artificial sweeteners." - Goji
Old April 10 2009, 07:00 PM   #84
Vic Sixx
Commodore

Ben with a toupee doesn't sell it for me that he was young. He just looked silly to me.
Who looks sillier with a toup Ben or Locke?

I would have rated excellent if I ever bothered to vote. It was pretty good. All Ben had to do to summon the smoky was go down to his pit and drain the cesspool? Wonder why it didn't respond to him.

I also agree that it was strange that Ben went to the trouble to make friends with Ceasar only to kill him minutes later.
Old April 10 2009, 07:21 PM   #85
Mr Light
Admiral

I just saw "Man Behind the Curtain" yesterday and MAN did Emerson and the kid playing Young Ben age dramatically in two years! Emerson had almost no lines on his face in the Dharma scenes, yet in the Dharma scenes in this week's episode he full of wrinkles.

Old April 10 2009, 07:32 PM   #86
Mr Light
Admiral

Lostpedia has an explanation for the Cerberus summoning sink drain: "It is commonly believed that dead souls cannot cross water. Since the Smoke Monster incorporates the souls of the dead, water serves as a barrier it cannot cross. * If we assume the above statement is true, this is further evidence for the theory that the monster can't reach Hydra island and has nothing to do with Ilana acting like she does, and also this debunks the theory that Locke is manifested by the monster. "

Old April 10 2009, 08:52 PM   #87
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Excellent, as expected from a Ben & Locke episode. At this point, Lost is on a sort of autopilot of excellence...
Old April 10 2009, 10:32 PM   #88
Mr Light
Admiral

^^ Unless the episode stars Kate! Or Sun and Jin...

Old April 10 2009, 11:41 PM   #89
blockaderunner
Rear Admiral

^^^And even those episodes are miles above 95% of the crap out there.

Excellent episode. Nice to know that Ben is no longer the smartest guy in the room. That look he had from the last episode that spilled into this episode when he saw Locke alive was priceless. Someone has to screencap that one.

Speaking of which, there are some in this thread who believe that Locke is a construct made by Smokey and that the real Locke is still dead. I certainly hope that's not the case. I know there are some people who still want Lost to hold some semblance of "realism", but I'm sorry. Realism, as some people perceive it, had left the building long time ago. I thought that the idea of sentient smoke would convince people of that. Hell, the island (and half of the cast) have gone through time. That wasn't a deal breaker?? At this point, I consider the dead rising like Locke (and, I now suspect, Christian) par for the course. So relax and enjoy the nutty ride! I am!
If God is willing but not able to prevent evil, he is not omnipotent. If he is able but not willing, then he is malevolent. If he is willing and able, then whence come evil? If he is neither willing nor able, then why call him God?
Old April 11 2009, 12:36 AM   #90
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I find it interesting that the island is powerful enough to replace the embalming fluid in Locke's corpse with real blood.