Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 10 2009, 11:50 PM   #676
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

Re: World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
What does a low-budget film released in 1982 have to do with "competing commercially in today's entertainment industry"? That was 27 years ago and yeah, everything has changed.

You make a movie like TWOK today, and you can go one of two ways with it: straight to DVD or suffer the fate of "Serenity.".
Oh horse-frakking-hockey, Dennis. WoK was not "a low budget movie". Paramount switched production over to people from the TV division to make the most effective use of an ECONOMICAL budget. The resulting film looked as good as any other feature of it's type from that day, and arguably better than some umpteen-million dollar CG-fests out there.

Then there's the fact that WoK was NEVER an "effects film" to begin with. It was, and IS, a very character-driven film with good FX thrown in on top.
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 12:01 AM   #677
Iano
Lieutenant

Sorry guys, I've been swamped the last few days. I've answered all my priv msgs regarding spoilers, I'll try and catch up with everyone.
Iano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 12:14 AM   #678
Iano
Lieutenant

SiddFinch1 wrote: View Post
Any chance of someone posting some actual spoilers again?

Such as - Is Cadet Kirk merely an older undergradute held back from graduation due to the kobiashi maru or did he graduate the 4 year program, serve a few years on the Republic or Farrugut and now goes back for the "5th" command year when the events of the movie unfold.....
I don't believe they are at the point of graduation yet, and the events in the movie immediately follow the Kobayashi Maru incident, so there's no time lapse.

Edit: Those events are in their 3rd year at the academy btw... well... at least Kirk's 3rd year, maybe 4th for everyone else.
Old April 11 2009, 12:17 AM   #679
Iano
Lieutenant

EJA wrote: View Post
So what happens to Kirk's mom?

Any indication of what happens to Kirk between the time we see him drive the car over the cliff as a kid, and when we see him in the bar where he meets Uhura and Pike?

Do we see Spock's pet sehlat in the movie?
She lives. They don't show her after the birth scene, but you know she's alive because of the phone call he gets from his stepdad during hte car scene.

No indication of his life after that scene and between the bar scene.
Old April 11 2009, 12:18 AM   #680
Iano
Lieutenant

Cky wrote: View Post
Is there an after-credit scene?
No.
Old April 11 2009, 12:20 AM   #681
Iano
Lieutenant

I've seen so many posts about Robau the badass and I'd just like to say most of you will be pretty disappointed as
Old April 11 2009, 12:24 AM   #682
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Iano wrote: View Post

Such as - Is Cadet Kirk merely an older undergradute held back from graduation due to the kobiashi maru or did he graduate the 4 year program, serve a few years on the Republic or Farrugut and now goes back for the "5th" command year when the events of the movie unfold.....
I don't believe they are at the point of graduation yet, and the events in the movie immediately follow the Kobayashi Maru incident, so there's no time lapse.

Edit: Those events are in their 3rd year at the academy btw... well... at least Kirk's 3rd year, maybe 4th for everyone else.
Oh, hell... so it is Cadet to Captain after all?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 12:25 AM   #683
Iano
Lieutenant

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post

Oh, hell... so it is Cadet to Captain after all?
Well, kinda, he is captain, but he's more "acting" captain during the movie and at the end since he's relief for Pike.
Old April 11 2009, 12:28 AM   #684
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Well, kinda, he is captain, but he's more "acting" captain during the movie and at the end since he's relief for Pike.
So what does the ending say will ultimately happen to Kirk? Will he have to give up the Enterprise and go back to the Academy? (As it should be?) Where does the "Buckle up!" scene - in which Kirk is wearing a Captain's uniform complete with rank - come in?

And I don't suppose they say what happened to Pike's original XO, do they? If they do, is it Number One?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 12:29 AM   #685
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I think we pretty much have known what happens with Robau for some time now.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 12:34 AM   #686
Iano
Lieutenant

Alright guys... here it is, the one you've been waiting for. Years from now I will tell my grandchildren the story of seeing Leonard Nimoy and the new Star Trek movie and all I will have to show for it is my blue jeans, arm, grey shirt, popcorn, and drink. They will look at me and say... "that could have been anyone!". I should've kept that hamburger receipt...

[Image has been resized. Click on image to see the larger version. - M']

Last edited by M'Sharak; April 11 2009 at 03:10 AM.
Old April 11 2009, 12:36 AM   #687
Iano
Lieutenant

So what does the ending say will ultimately happen to Kirk? Will he have to give up the Enterprise and go back to the Academy? (As it should be?) Where does the "Buckle up!" scene - in which Kirk is wearing a Captain's uniform complete with rank - come in?

And I don't suppose they say what happened to Pike's original XO, do they? If they do, is it Number One?
They don't. Final scene: He has on his captain's uniform. They show him on the bridge, he does a fantastic kirk-like performance there btw. Then they go to Prime Spock's "Space the final..." speech, then the ending credits.

They didn't really have much Pike backstory.
Old April 11 2009, 12:38 AM   #688
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

So what does the ending say will ultimately happen to Kirk? Will he have to give up the Enterprise and go back to the Academy? (As it should be?)
Why? He's graduated.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 12:43 AM   #689
NiteTrek
Captain

I've seen so many posts about Robau the badass and I'd just like to say most of you will be pretty disappointed as
Just like I said in this post 4 months ago.
NiteTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 12:47 AM   #690
NiteTrek
Captain

Re: To those who have seen the film...Could they have gotten Shatner i

VOODOOXI wrote: View Post
To those of you who have seen the film. Could the writers have found a creative way to get William Shatner into the film as Kirk?
He could have played Romulus.
NiteTrek is offline   Reply With Quote