TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 10 2009, 05:44 PM   #661
Augustus
Fleet Captain

Re: World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
There may have been 10,000 successful evacuations from Vulcan during the crisis, but you have to figure that there are already millions or billions living off-world.
Yeah, I am not sure why everyone is concerned about the survival of the race... I am sure there are a ton of vulcans on Earth alone...
Old April 10 2009, 06:14 PM   #662
Pavonis
Commodore

Changing topics - what's the Kelvin mission patch/ship logo look like? It's not the Enterprise arrowhead, is it?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2009, 06:16 PM   #663
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

This is one of the most time-wasting aspects of fanon - some people become so attached to their expectations and assumptions that rather than being pleased when some aspect of a story surprises them or goes in an unexpected direction, they become protective of the assumption and in some cases invent some fairly closely-worked out rationalizations for why the writers were wrong to do what they did. I watched idiots do this with the later seasons of "Buffy," which was particularly sad because that series was so energetically off-kilter and counter-intuitive all along and would have been a lesser show without that quality.
This happened most recently with the BSG finale. Much of the negative reactions I saw were not due to the quality of the show, but that the writers didn't use the fans' assumptions to write the script. There was even one BSG blogger who complained because the SFX dept didn't use actual star maps as backdrops, because they should have known fans would be examining the star patterns to discern where the fleet was... oy

Neopeius wrote: View Post

Enjoy your mediocrity, Dennis.
Ahh Trekkie superiority complex. Glad to know some things never change...
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2009, 06:28 PM   #664
Neopeius
Admiral

EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post

Ahh Trekkie superiority complex. Glad to know some things never change...
Ahh the Trekkie defensiveness complex. Glad to know.. yada yada.

http://galacticjourney.org/
Neopeius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2009, 07:39 PM   #665
Kaych
Lieutenant Junior Grade

SeamusShameless wrote: View Post
Kaych wrote: View Post
I'm 22 and I've heard the term "sawbones". Did you study the Civil War in history class?
I'm in Canada. We learned about more interesting stuff like Canada gaining it's independence in 1867 .

I'm not saying I necessarily support the new backstory behind the name. But what I am saying is that I can definitly understand why the producers decided to change it. Outside the U.S. it may not be as popular a term.
Kaych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2009, 08:10 PM   #666
JBElliott
Commander

Bottom line is that the remaining hard-core trek fandom can support IDW and Pocket Books. Our support cannot even begin to justify what the studio must spend to produce a movie that can compete commercially in today's entertainment industry.
That's not necessarily true. Sure the route that has been taken is one way to do things, but TWOK was still "classic TOS" and it did well at the box office and ciritcally. A Star Trek movie could be made that fit into TOS that would do well at the box office and critically. It's possible. It just didn't happen and never will.
Old April 10 2009, 08:14 PM   #667
JBElliott
Commander

Shape-Shifter wrote: View Post
Your moms basement called, it's ready for you to move in.
Really? Then you've moved out? Who would have believed that would ever happen.
Old April 10 2009, 08:45 PM   #668
Neopeius
Admiral

JBElliott wrote: View Post
Bottom line is that the remaining hard-core trek fandom can support IDW and Pocket Books. Our support cannot even begin to justify what the studio must spend to produce a movie that can compete commercially in today's entertainment industry.
That's not necessarily true. Sure the route that has been taken is one way to do things, but TWOK was still "classic TOS" and it did well at the box office and ciritcally. A Star Trek movie could be made that fit into TOS that would do well at the box office and critically. It's possible. It just didn't happen and never will.
I'd argue that TWOK did well *because* it wasn't in the classic TOS mold. It was big, flashy, sci-fantasy with lots of explosions. Many of the deviations from the TOS style ultimately found their way into TNG where they made it, IMHO, an inferior product.

http://galacticjourney.org/
Neopeius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2009, 09:04 PM   #669
JBElliott
Commander

They're still Kirk and Spock and McCoy.
They're KINO, SINO and MINIO.
Old April 10 2009, 09:10 PM   #670
JBElliott
Commander

Re: To those who have seen the film...Could they have gotten Shatner i

VOODOOXI wrote: View Post
To those of you who have seen the film. Could the writers have found a creative way to get William Shatner into the film as Kirk?
Of course they could have. Any writer could have.
Old April 10 2009, 09:16 PM   #671
JBElliott
Commander

34 pages an no detailed spoiler filled recap of the movie? Come on people, we need a review of the movie with all the details!
Old April 10 2009, 09:30 PM   #672
SeamusShameless
Commander

I'm 22 and I've heard the term "sawbones". Did you study the Civil War in history class?
I'm in Canada. We learned about more interesting stuff like Canada gaining it's independence in 1867 .

I'm not saying I necessarily support the new backstory behind the name. But what I am saying is that I can definitly understand why the producers decided to change it. Outside the U.S. it may not be as popular a term.
That's possible. I didn't realize you were Canadian, sorry. I've read in several places that in Germany Bones is called Pill because there's no German translation for the nickname.

Kirk: Young... I feel young.
SeamusShameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2009, 09:42 PM   #673
The Academic
Commander

Location: If there's a bright center to the universe, the place that it's farthest from...

I've read in several places that in Germany Bones is called 'Pill' because there's no German translation for the nickname.
Leonard McCoy is indeed called 'Pille' (English 'Pill') in 'Raumschiff Enterprise', the German version of TOS. The translators could have called him 'Knochen' (English 'Bones') just as well, but, for no apparent reasons whatsoever, they didn't. Now, having seen the new Star Trek XI clip, I would really like to know how they try to worm themselves out of this decades-old mistranslation/misinterpretation...
Well, I'll find out soon enough...
Clark Ashton Smith: The Hashish Eater or The Apocalypse of Evil
The Academic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2009, 09:56 PM   #674
SiddFinch1
Captain

Any chance of someone posting some actual spoilers again?

Such as - Is Cadet Kirk merely an older undergradute held back from graduation due to the kobiashi maru or did he graduate the 4 year program, serve a few years on the Republic or Farrugut and now goes back for the "5th" command year when the events of the movie unfold.....
Old April 10 2009, 11:28 PM   #675
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

JBElliott wrote: View Post
That's not necessarily true. Sure the route that has been taken is one way to do things, but TWOK was still "classic TOS" and it did well at the box office and ciritcally.
What does a low-budget film released in 1982 have to do with "competing commercially in today's entertainment industry"? That was 27 years ago and yeah, everything has changed.

You make a movie like TWOK today, and you can go one of two ways with it: straight to DVD or suffer the fate of "Serenity."

Unless, maybe, you cast Seth Rogen as Khan.

Certainly low-balling Trek and producing direct-to-DVD stuff, ala Stargate, is a direction that the studio could reasonably have chosen and they might have made some money with a DS9 DVD movie or an Enterprise DVD movie or a "TNG" DVD movie starring Jonathan Frakes and Michael Dorn (with special appearance by Walter Koenig). Evidently someone there believes that Trek is still more valuable than that.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote