TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old April 5 2009, 07:49 PM   #31
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile
Re: TNG remastered

kitsune wrote: View Post

(edit: I guess this applies to all the series. For example, when the Odyssey blew up in DS9.)
Though that was stock footage from TNG's Cause and Effect IIRC!
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2009, 04:02 AM   #32
RAMA
Vice Admiral

The single thing I would like to see most out of ST is this work on STNG!
Old April 6 2009, 04:30 AM   #33
urbandk
Commodore

kitsune wrote: View Post
DGCatAniSiri wrote: View Post
I think TNG's effects are perfectly fine as they are. Yes, they're not the CGI 'masterpieces' of today, but they're still high-quality work - I think a lot of what they did with pratical models matches what we do with the CGI ones.
One thing that always bothered me about TNG: all the ship explosions looked extremely fake. There was never any debris field, or even a dust cloud left behind.

(edit: I guess this applies to all the series. For example, when the Odyssey blew up in DS9.)
There was a debris field at Wolf 359.

I don't know anything about the technical aspects of remastering and have no interest in re-done special effects. However, I would hope that HD TNG would be a possibility. If Paramount didn't archive TNG in a manner that would permit this, such an oversight seems to stretch the bounds of absurdity in business decisions.
Old April 6 2009, 04:43 AM   #34
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

Outpost4 wrote: View Post
And when was it that you last broke a DVD?

I've never broken a DVD. I last broke a 5" optical disc in the 1980s when I threw a CD against a wall, demonstrating how impervious it was to damage. Wrong!

Put a disc away in the case after you are done watching it and this should never be an issue.
Disc 1 of my ST3(The one with the movie on it)had a hairline crack at the center. Every time I took it out of its case, the crack lengthened. I eventually ended up just rebuying it for 7 bucks at walmart.
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2009, 04:44 AM   #35
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

I've never broken a DVD. I last broke a 5" optical disc in the 1980s when I threw a CD against a wall, demonstrating how impervious it was to damage. Wrong!

Put a disc away in the case after you are done watching it and this should never be an issue.
Disc 1 of my ST3(The one with the movie on it)had a hairline crack at the center. Every time I took it out of its case, the crack lengthened. I eventually ended up just rebuying it for 7 bucks at walmart.
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2009, 12:35 PM   #36
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

You should try working with the horrible Digistak cases the R2 TNG/DS9 discs used to come on before Paramount changed them. To put discs on them you'd have to put a scary amount of pressure on the hub then push the disc onto it and hope it didn't get stuck (which would either eventually end up causing cracks either by the pressure that had to be put on the disc to get it to sit on the hub properly, or through the strain put on the disc by the hub getting stuck and having to get the disc back off and trying again), snap the disc on (probably instantly cracking the disc, though you'd have to be an idiot to try this) or sand down the hub so it's not so tight.

I ended up getting small cracks on some of my discs simply keeping them in storage because the hubs were too tight, and repeatedly loading/unloading them will almost certain cause cracks no matter how careful you are. I've even heard of people getting brand new sealed sets with cracked discs from the factory and having to buy multiple sets to get a full set with no cracks. I ended up sanding all of mine down because I don't really want to transfer them all into Amarays and have to print out a cover for every case to identify it, but thankfully they started using better hubs after enough people complained, and the slimline sets come in proper cases with good hubs.. but not before thousands of people wrecked their discs. I believe Paramount are willing to replace them, but I personally just backed them up before the cracks expanded and play those instead.

I don't see how it's possible to crack discs in good hubs unless you're just careless/stupid though. Scratches on the other hand, you've got to be pretty careless to get a scratch bad enough that it has an impact on playback.
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2009, 07:27 PM   #37
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

urbandk wrote: View Post
If Paramount didn't archive TNG in a manner that would permit this, such an oversight seems to stretch the bounds of absurdity in business decisions.

It's always easy to be wise after the event. Who could have foreseen high-definition television equipment back in 1987, when Betamax was still in vogue? The priority was making a 42 minutes of television to air every week, not the home video market of the 21st century.
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote