Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 5 2009, 10:11 AM   #16
Capt_Piett
Rear Admiral

Re: New Freddy Krueger played by Jackie Earle Haley

"When are the people making these remakes ever going to learn: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it""

If they COULD answer that...there wouldn't BE any remakes....
Old April 5 2009, 01:16 PM   #17
Servo
Rear Admiral

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
He is a pretty good choice. There have been rumors for a while that he was being sought for it.

Another rumor--I don't know if it's a spoiler, so I'll code it:

Wow. That's pretty lame.

P0sitr0nic wrote: View Post
Piper wrote: View Post
As good a choice for casting as could be, but for me Freddy will ALWAYS be Mr Englund.
We used to say Kirk would always be Shatner.
Sorry, but Englund is Freddy. He made the character what it is. I'd say the same about Shatner's Kirk, too.

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
^ Here's more info on that.

It makes a little more sense, now.

Still very lame. They're basically watering the character down, probably cause they're scared of being accused of glorifying child killers. Funny, people have cheered Freddy along for over 20 years, and nobody kicked up a fuss. I just don't see the point of rewriting the character's whole motivation. Once you do that, it ain't the same character anymore.
Old April 5 2009, 01:26 PM   #18
Dale
Vice Admiral

Why in the hell don't they just come up with an original slasher and leave the greats like Freddy and Jason alone?

Is there anyone out there writing original films anymore?
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2009, 02:13 PM   #19
Silent_Bob
Fleet Captain

Dale wrote: View Post
Why in the hell don't they just come up with an original slasher and leave the greats like Freddy and Jason alone?

Why write an original film when you can just change a few details on an old script and call it a remake.

Anyone want to place a bet on when the Scream remake will be announced?
Old April 5 2009, 02:33 PM   #20
Skywalker
Admiral

Silent_Bob wrote: View Post

Why write an original film when you can just change a few details on an old script and call it a remake.

Anyone want to place a bet on when the Scream remake will be announced?
A Scream remake could actually turn out really well if the filmmakers satirize slasher/horror remakes the same way the original Scream satirized original slasher/horror films.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2009, 04:10 PM   #21
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Hollywood is just giving the public what it wants. People complain about remakes and sequels and such, but when you look at the box office figures, the top-grossing films every year are mostly remakes, sequels, adaptations of old tv shows, etc.

Look at last year's biggest movie: THE DARK KNIGHT. It's a great film that deserves all the money and kudos it received, but, hey, it's a sequel to a remake of a movie based on a seventy-year-old comic book . . . .

As long as people keep going to remakes, Hollywood is going to keep making them.
Old April 5 2009, 04:32 PM   #22
Servo
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Look at last year's biggest movie: THE DARK KNIGHT. It's a great film that deserves all the money and kudos it received, but, hey, it's a sequel to a remake of a movie based on a seventy-year-old comic book . . . .
I agree with the point you're making, however, I have to be nitpicky and point out that Batman Begins is not a remake.
Old April 5 2009, 04:55 PM   #23
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Servo wrote: View Post
I agree with the point you're making, however, I have to be nitpicky and point out that Batman Begins is not a remake.

Depends. Since it was rebooting the series, you could argue that it was sort of a remake of the Tim Burton movie. Or the Adam West movie. Or the old movie serials . . . .

Then again, since it retells the first meeting of Batman and the Joker, I suppose you could also argue that THE DARK KNIGHT is actually the remake of the 1989 version!

In any event, for all its merits, TDK is at least the ninth Batman movie ever made. Which would suggest that audiences don't mind seeing the same stories retold--as long as they're done well.
Old April 5 2009, 05:00 PM   #24
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

This is fucking ridiculous. Robert Englund IS Freddy. And besides, he's still fully capable of playing Freddy. With all the burnt-skin makeup on, you wouldn't be able to tell he's old. He looks fine in Freddy VS. Jason. Here's a novel idea, though: Come up with something original!
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2009, 05:50 PM   #25
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Nerdius Maximus wrote: View Post
Here's a novel idea, though: Come up with something original!

See previous posts. Blame the audience, not the studios. They're the ones who made the FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH remake a hit. And TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, HALLOWEEN, etc.

And movie history is full of superior remakes: BEN-HUR, THE MALTESE FALCON, THE FLY . . . . .

Englund was great, but no actor has monopoly on any role. Look at the history of horror movies. Bela Lugosi was Dracula for a generation, but then came Christopher Lee . . . .
Old April 5 2009, 06:01 PM   #26
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^^ Says the man who writes stories in those universes.

I suppose there's some truth in the marketplace, if people didn't want more of this stuff they wouldn't go see it. If there was no finanical incentive to creating more of the same it seems they'd quit producing it.

I think the more hardcore fans probably absorb more of this material than the general populace which might be why we rolls our eyes so much at the thoughts of remakes. We're still watching series and movies that are probably just history to other people out there.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2009, 06:06 PM   #27
T'Baio
Admiral

Without remakes, do you guys have any idea how many awesome movies we wouldn't have! I'm willing to bet that for some of the people who complain about remakes, they have at least one movie that is one of their favourites that is a remake in some way. And they might not even know it!

Umm...Battlestar Galactica, anyone!?!
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2009, 06:12 PM   #28
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
^^

I think the more hardcore fans probably absorb more of this material than the general populace which might be why we rolls our eyes so much at the thoughts of remakes. We're still watching series and movies that are probably just history to other people out there.
You may be onto something there. I suspect that a lot of the people who saw recent version of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL have never seen the original version. Unlike the hardcore fans for whom the classic version is still a living entity.

Still, Hollywood has been in the remake business since at least the dawn of the talkies. Why expect it to change now?

(And you just know that some of the people who complain about Hollywood's lack of originality saw THE DARK KNIGHT six times!)
Old April 5 2009, 06:59 PM   #29
Servo
Rear Admiral

Englund was great, but no actor has monopoly on any role. Look at the history of horror movies. Bela Lugosi was Dracula for a generation, but then came Christopher Lee . . . .
Different kettle of fish. Lugosi and Lee played the part, but they didn't create the character. Craven came up with the idea, but it was Englund who made Freddy.

It's the same reason why I wouldn't want to see an Evil Dead with an Ash that isn't played by Bruce Campbell, or a Star Wars with a Han Solo that isn't Harrison Ford.

And to address T'Baio's point; sure, there are some great remakes out there - The Thing and The Fly being two of my personal favourites - but that doesn't mean we need the constant number of remakes we are bombarded with these days.
Not to mention the fact that some of these films don't even need remaking. The original Elm Street still stands up pretty well, and it's not like it's subtitled or a B&W classic, so they can't use the excuse that they're "bringing the story to a wider audience", like they do when they trample all over films like Ringu. It just seems pointless and unnecessary.
Old April 5 2009, 07:24 PM   #30
T'Baio
Admiral

What if the remake of Nightmare is awesome? What's so wrong with that? It's not obliterating the existence of the original. And I'm coming from the perspective of a huge fan of the Nightmare franchise. Look at New Nightmare. That was a reimagining before reimaginings were in vogue, and I thought that was a pretty cool movie.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote