Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old April 2 2009, 03:16 AM   #1
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Measure of a Man

I watched Measure of a Man for the first time in several years yesterday. I think this is one of TNG's best episodes. Considering it's basically a courtroom drama episode set in the 24th century, I think that's kind of cool. I'm usually not a big fan of any TV show or movie where people just sit around and talk, but this episode was nicely done, and I didn't even think for a second that it was twenty years old.
Old April 2 2009, 03:23 AM   #2
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: Measure of a Man

It's one of mine too. I really liked Phillipa. Of all of Picard's women, she was my favorite and the best fit for him.

One of my biggest TNG disappointments is they never brought McBroom back.
Old April 2 2009, 03:25 AM   #3
Unwrapped
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unwrapped

It's definitely one of TNG's better eps, although I do think it could use a little improvement. Maddox's threat to remove Data seems like more of a plot device than a genuine problem regarding his sentience, since it is clear he was in the minority even when Data asked to enroll at the academy. And it becomes evident very quickly that fully proving Data's non-sentience would be extremely difficult, so Maddox has to go for the ruling that he is ultimately property of Starfleet.

* shrugs * I think this plot line was done a little better in "The Offspring." But the characters are handled very well for the most part. I don't think Maddox is exactly bigoted per se, but I think he'd be a better character if he wasn't presented as a voice in the wilderness.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unwrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2009, 09:57 AM   #4
Too Much Fun
Commodore

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
It's one of mine too. I really liked Phillipa. Of all of Picard's women, she was my favorite and the best fit for him.
Nice to see this episode getting some love. One of my top 5 favourites. This exchange between Picard and Philippa is probably the most hilarious way of setting up a date I've ever heard:

Picard: "PHILIPPA. DINN-UH."
Philippa: "You buying?"
*He NODS*

He doesn't bother asking her, "would you like to have dinner with me, tonght?". No, he just says "PHILIPPA, DINN-UH", like he's a caveman or Tarzan or something.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2009, 12:28 PM   #5
neogothboy74
Commander

Send a message via AIM to neogothboy74 Send a message via Yahoo to neogothboy74

I actually think this is Next Gen's first truly GREAT episode. It holds up extremely well. It's got as much continuity as Next Gen episodes were likely to have. It had a real issue. And the conflict between the characters didn't feel nearly as forced as it often did on the ship where everybody got along all the time.
neogothboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2009, 01:54 PM   #6
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I remember liking it quite a bit but I haven't seen it in years. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any TNG episode in years. I'm going to have to do something about that!
Old April 3 2009, 01:10 AM   #7
john titor
Captain

One of the best trek episodes ever and where its at imo as regards trek ie high minded intellectual concepts. The script writing is amazing. Picard has some incredibly eloquent lines, which you don't see normally in tv shows with most of them being dumbed down. Its so good it was even used in one of my philosophy lectures. infinity/10.
john titor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2009, 02:46 AM   #8
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

Great episode. I actually think these talky episodes, in which Picard prevails with a rousing speech on a moral or intellectual point, are usually TNG's most effective.

Stewart can do these in his sleep, and it's great to give him something meaty as opposed to the more sci-fi/action oriented episodes. He really looks like he's relishing them, which is wonderful to see. Episodes like The Drumhead, First Duty, Devil's Due, Who Watches the Watchers and The Offspring are some of my all-time Trek favourites.
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2009, 08:27 AM   #9
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

^I couldn't agree more. Stewart was at his best when he was given those kinds of scripts.
Old April 3 2009, 01:25 PM   #10
john titor
Captain

I also think the speeches added a nice eccentricity, or layer of complexity depending on which view you take, to Picards character.
john titor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2009, 01:52 PM   #11
Forbin
Admiral

I think one of the purposes of true "science fiction" is to examine the human condition from an outside perspective, and to discuss what it means to be human. This episode has that in spades. I put it in the top ten Trek episodes of all time.

I still get chills when Picard says, "Starfleet was founded to seek out new life. Well there it sits. Waiting."
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2009, 03:03 PM   #12
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Tomalak wrote: View Post
Stewart can do these in his sleep
Which suddenly turned him into a "great actor." The funny thing is, when ever he had to actually act, he sucked.
Old April 3 2009, 03:46 PM   #13
Ro_Laren
Commodore

This has always been one of my least favorite episodes... I think it is because over the years Star Trek will have episodes trying to show that androids/holograms are sentient beings with souls and I just can't agree with that.
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2009, 03:58 PM   #14
Evil_Kirkneivel
Lieutenant Commander

“Your honor, Starfleet was founded to seek out new life, well THERE IT SITS…waiting.”
- Picard

Yes, I love those Picard moments. As others said, many of the best episodes are the ones where he gets some meatier lines.
Old April 3 2009, 04:27 PM   #15
Alrik
Rear Admiral

I would have to agree. This is a really good Ep. Everyone is talking about Stewart, and I would have to go along with that, but Frakes did a really good job in this one as well.
Alrik is offline   Reply With Quote