RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,670
Members: 24,822
Currently online: 493
Newest member: The Great Duck

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 2 2009, 03:06 PM   #1
John Picard
Vice Admiral

New Transformers Movie Info

First look: Robo-brawlers big, small in new 'Transformers'

By Anthony Breznican, USA TODAY
It's always the quiet ones you need to fear.
Ninjas. Serial killers. Boba Fett. Gastrointestinal functions.
In Transformers lore, the mechanical jaguar Ravage has been a villain favorite since the 1980s for his stealthy tactics and deadly force. Ever since a four-legged mechanical beast prowled through the trailer for summer's sequel, Revenge of The Fallen, fans have been awaiting more word about the feline-ish Decepticon. As more robots in the June 24 movie are revealed, Ravage comes into focus.
"In the spirit of 'more than meets the eye,' Ravage isn't just lethal because of his sharp teeth," says screenwriter Alex Kurtzman. "There's actually another skill set Ravage has that didn't exist before, so there's going to be a surprise for fans."
This version of the cat already looks far different from the original, with a single glowing red eye and a swinging, mace-like tail, but his role will be similar to the 1980s cartoon and Hasbro toy — the ultimate spy.
And the icing on the cake:

Other troublemakers:
A smaller, but no less malevolent Decepticon is known as The Doctor — a spider-like droid that transforms into various implements of torture and has a not-so-nice encounter with star Shia LaBeouf.
Then there's a giant one called Demolishor, and another tinier one with the sportier name of Wheelie.
Constructicons:
These seven robots — Scavenger, Scrapper, Hightower, Longhaul, Rampage, Overload and Mixmaster — transform into construction machinery, but also link up with one another to form one gigantic robot stomper named Devastator.
"He's made of vehicles designed to build, and he turns into is someone who loves to destroy," Orci says. "He is an agent of absolute chaos."
Bay says Devastator is the crème de la smash and got a uncharacteristic reaction out of the film's executive producer already.
"Spielberg saw it and said, 'This is (expletive) awesome!' " Bay says, and adds: "It's always nice when you can make him swear."
The picture of "The Doctor" with Shia is pretty cool. I'm definitely going to see this one on The Big Screen.
Old April 2 2009, 05:22 PM   #2
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: New Transformers Movie Info

So it seems more kiddish humor is to be expected ala "Stop lubricating on him Bumbelbee"

New Recurits:
"Some of the junior Transformers are just dumb," Bay says with a laugh. "But it's great for kids because they're like the Little Engine That Could. They're (screw)-ups, but they get really heroic at the end."
I'll be in the theater but I will say the toy design for Devestator doesn't have me doing any backflips of joy.
I understand changing some things but Heavy Duty Construction Equipment is relatively unchanged. That is something it seems could be more faithful.
Cassetes turning into robo-jags I get the change.
Devestator I have issue with.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2009, 05:31 PM   #3
John Picard
Vice Admiral

^^ I hope it isn't any more "lubricating" humor; however, I still enjoy the original and look forward to this one. I agree with you on some of the changes but they're to be expected (to a degree), though I can honestly say my teens haven't been raped.
Old April 2 2009, 07:50 PM   #4
captcalhoun
Admiral

that's a hell of a lot less than forty!

mind you, 40 seemed like overkill...

see, the listing on yahoo doesn't mentioin the Insecticons... and i wonder if 'the doctor' is the dreadlocked 'puppeteered' transformer seen at Princeton...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2009, 12:17 AM   #5
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
that's a hell of a lot less than forty!

mind you, 40 seemed like overkill...

see, the listing on yahoo doesn't mentioin the Insecticons... and i wonder if 'the doctor' is the dreadlocked 'puppeteered' transformer seen at Princeton...
Yeah, I really don't think that's an exhaustive list - just highlights, I think.
Bishbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2009, 01:48 AM   #6
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

So how are they going to reconcile this Devastator with the other one from the first film? Just two Transformers which happened to have the same name?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2009, 02:23 AM   #7
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Maybe laserbeak is attached to ravage and that's the secret weapon
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2009, 09:44 AM   #8
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
So how are they going to reconcile this Devastator with the other one from the first film? Just two Transformers which happened to have the same name?
I suspect it won't be explained at all - it'll remain one of those inconsistencies that fans will be happy to fanwank away/curse Bay to the end of time for... Although I suppose its not impossible that this new Devastator is created using the spark from the previous one, or something similar.
Bishbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2009, 11:31 AM   #9
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Wasn't the Devastator from the original film actually supposed to be Brawl? Maybe there's a retcon brewing.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2009, 12:07 PM   #10
captcalhoun
Admiral

yes, Bay liked the Devastator name, but O&K wanted it to be Brawl. the toy's called Brawl though. had hoped they'd fix the subtitle on the DVD but they didn't
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2009, 12:23 PM   #11
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I'm curious how Arcee will be played in the film. Is she a combiner or not?

According to the old specs I've seen, she was one of the smaller Transformers I've seen, except Frenzy (of course with the Doctor and all the other new ones, that's changed) and I always wondered, she only slightly bigger than Frenzy but I thought Frenzy would still beat her in a fight, because he was one ruthless TF in the first film.
Old April 3 2009, 02:27 PM   #12
John Picard
Vice Admiral

Tuln wrote: View Post
I'm curious how Arcee will be played in the film. Is she a combiner or not?

According to the old specs I've seen, she was one of the smaller Transformers I've seen, except Frenzy (of course with the Doctor and all the other new ones, that's changed) and I always wondered, she only slightly bigger than Frenzy but I thought Frenzy would still beat her in a fight, because he was one ruthless TF in the first film.
There was some analysis a while back of the trailer seen thus far, and it appears that there are three small robots that make up Arcee; however, that is strictly guessing.
Old April 3 2009, 03:17 PM   #13
adv1701
Lieutenant Commander

I don't like that they're making Jetfire into a senile jet. He's supposed to be very heroic and noble.
adv1701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2009, 03:33 PM   #14
John Picard
Vice Admiral

adv1701 wrote: View Post
I don't like that they're making Jetfire into a senile jet. He's supposed to be very heroic and noble.
Perhaps he will be heroic and noble in the movie

Every fanboy screamed bloody murder that Bumblebee was going to be a Camaro and it worked well. I, for one, would have preferred Optimus Prime have been the original cabover tractor but could deal with his being the later conventional style.
Old April 3 2009, 03:37 PM   #15
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

yeah, ironhide should be the seasoned vet. Or am I thinking of Kup?
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote