Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 20 31.25%
Above Average 29 45.31%
Average 11 17.19%
Below Average 3 4.69%
Poor 1 1.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 2 2009, 06:00 AM   #31
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile
Re: Lost 5x11: "Whatever Happened, Happened"

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
Oh yeah I'm shocked that Jack never went back to help save Lil'Ben. That was a total dick move. I just figured he'd say no then come back at the eleventh hour.
Why is it a dick move? From what Jack has seen of him Ben has only ruined people's lives.
jack may have been looking from the point of view of how many lives would be saved if ben died then.
Old April 2 2009, 06:16 AM   #32
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

It does seem to me like Ben's being taken to the Others to save him is what made him evil. If Jack had saved him, he wouldn't have been. But with what he knew about Ben, he thought he was doing the opposite. Really, there is no way Jack would have saved Ben. Which is why I think if he had, things would have been different. That is to say, the whole series would have been different. But it seems like Jack's indifference to helping Ben is what created Evil Ben. Jack is the central figure in the show, and now we know why. I guess the show will end when Jack realizes he was a jackass and that if he'd fixed Ben up, the plane crash, Dharma being killed, everything; none of it would have happened. It all comes back to Jack. Ben might be responsible for a lot, but Jack made him that way.
Old April 2 2009, 08:11 AM   #33
Aragorn
Admiral

The preview for this week's episode sure overplayed the "one of us let him out" plot point.
Old April 2 2009, 10:35 AM   #34
chrisspringob
Commodore

The Kate/Aaron stuff made no sense in the context of Kate's scene with Jack in "316". If it was as simple as Kate deciding that she had to leave Aaron with Claire's mother, while she goes to search for Claire, why didn't she just tell Jack that? Why doesn't she tell everyone that? Why say "Don't ever ask me about Aaron again", which surely must freak Jack out? Doesn't Jack deserve to know that Aaron is OK?

I think the writers are too in love with the idea of turning everything into a mystery, even when doing so is uncalled for, and defies all logic.
Old April 2 2009, 12:11 PM   #35
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Jack only agreed to help Ben the first time in exchange for escape after seeing Kate frakking Sawyer... the Oath didn't seem to be a concern then either, and Jack held him hostage on the table and threatened to kill him.

He's not exactly Marcus Welby...
Old April 2 2009, 01:09 PM   #36
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
The Kate/Aaron stuff made no sense in the context of Kate's scene with Jack in "316". If it was as simple as Kate deciding that she had to leave Aaron with Claire's mother, while she goes to search for Claire, why didn't she just tell Jack that? Why doesn't she tell everyone that? Why say "Don't ever ask me about Aaron again", which surely must freak Jack out? Doesn't Jack deserve to know that Aaron is OK?

I think the writers are too in love with the idea of turning everything into a mystery, even when doing so is uncalled for, and defies all logic.
That's a very good post, a very good point. I know there's been discussion here before about the lack of communication between characters and it looks like they're right back to that old mainstay, i.e. nobody tells anybody anything.

Having a mystery for the sake of having a mystery has been one of the most annoying parts about this show.
Old April 2 2009, 01:19 PM   #37
Arlo
Fleet Captain

gh4chiefs wrote: View Post

That's a very good post, a very good point. I know there's been discussion here before about the lack of communication between characters and it looks like they're right back to that old mainstay, i.e. nobody tells anybody anything.

Having a mystery for the sake of having a mystery has been one of the most annoying parts about this show.
I thought about this, and my only rationalization is that by telling Aaron's grandmother about the coverup/lies, Kate was breaking the pact the 6 made, and that would piss Jack off. Weak, I know, but there you are.
Old April 2 2009, 01:42 PM   #38
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral

My biggest problem with the episode. It was very Heroes like in execution, except this happened between several episodes instead of scene breaks like on Heroes.

It was a blah episode, I really didn't care for Kate's story with Aaron and all that. The time travel conversion was probably the most interesting part of the whole thing. Haven them create the monster Ben was a nice touch though.
Old April 2 2009, 02:11 PM   #39
Mr Light
Admiral

The Kate mystery bit didn't bother me quite as much because Kate is an inherently f****d up person which is why I don't like her. As I said before, I would have found her drowning Aaron in the bathtub so he didn't have to go back to the Island to be as plausible as what happened. And it's a good point as Kate did break the pact to Cassidy (a con woman and opportunist for crissakes!) and Claire's Mom.

Old April 2 2009, 02:23 PM   #40
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Capt. Vulcan wrote: View Post
It was a blah episode, I really didn't care for Kate's story with Aaron and all that.
The deal with Aaron did turn out to be rather anti-climatic didn't it? Much like the story of how Sayid ended up on the plane.

I thought it was interesting that when Hurley and Miles were talking about Ben, Hurley made the comment of something to the effect "Ben was on the one who made us get on the plane to come back."

To the best of my recollection (which is often faulty I admit) we haven't seen Hurley's "plane story." So I didn't know if that was a line just to fit in with the time travel debate Hurley and Miles were having, or if we're going to find out Ben threatened Hurley in some way to get him on the plane. Perhaps he kidnapped/threatened Hurley's parents?
Old April 2 2009, 02:31 PM   #41
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

The Hippocratic Oath only applies to Jack's patients. If Jack had been helping Juliet and then they discovered the more serious problem he would have been bound to help. But there is nothing in the oath that compels Jack to help a random person. And as others have pointed out, the Oath didn't seem to stop Jack from putting Ben's life in danger to help Kate before.
Old April 2 2009, 03:06 PM   #42
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Above average . . . but just barely. This and last week's episodes were both in the above average category but they've been slipping a bit. Enjoyable but not outstanding.

I was actually rooting for young Ben to die. Why? Because it would've been an interesting monkey wrench to throw into the works. As it was, we got pretty much what was expected. Ben is saved (presumably by the island) but in the process becomes the Ben that we know. *Yawn*. The drama of operating on him and trying to get him to the others was all for nought. He wasn't going to die. A twist here would've been nice.

The flashbacks were just OK. Not many revelations.

On 2nd thought, maybe I should've given this one an average. Oh well, a charity rating then.

Mr Awe
Old April 2 2009, 03:10 PM   #43
Skywalker
Admiral

Above Average, which after factoring in the "Kate episode" negative modifier makes it an Average.

I really enjoyed the revelation that Ben became the man he was because of Sayid and Jack, who thought they were preventing him from becoming that man.
Old April 2 2009, 03:19 PM   #44
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

316 annoyed me because it was so obvious that they were just purposely setting up these mini-mysteries of how everyone ended up on the Ajira 316 flight to fill up time in next 5 episodes or whatever, and none of them are proving to be particularly interesting. The only one I'm sure any of us really care about is why Ben is bloodied and beaten up at the marina, did he try to and succeed in killing Penny?

And yeah, I agree with you about Jack. They looked like they were just going to have sex, but seriously, Jack lived with Aaron for a couple of years, right? He knows Aaron is his blood relative. I wanted him to stop Kate from kissing him and just say "No wait, seriously, what happened to the kid?" It just reeked of setting up some little thing we'd learn about a few episodes down the line, and then when we finally do find out it was just so....meh and makes you kind of think less of the characters involved. Like seriously, that's the big deal?
Old April 2 2009, 03:51 PM   #45
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

The thing with Jack was interesting I think not because he was 'letting Ben die' it was more Locke-ish, in that he sort of had some faith that the Island would make things work out.

I also liked Kate's reason, it was a much stronger reason than 'she went for Sawyer'. I hope they move her more in that direction and away from Sawyer/Juliet. It's sort of insulting I think that her character is just a sexual ping-pong for Jack and Sawyer.