RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,572
Posts: 5,514,468
Members: 25,151
Currently online: 521
Newest member: slarlac249

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 30 2009, 12:58 AM   #46
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral
 
Location: the Unreconstructed South
Re: Wolverine And The X-Men - anyone watching?

Christopher wrote: View Post
darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
Given the bleak present and the liklihood of an even bleaker future (MRD, Sentinels, etc) can you see Catatonic Cyclops being the leader the X-Men need?

I can't.

The only other possible option MIGHT be Storm, but Wolverine is a soldier. He'll make the tough calls "Slim" wouldn't dare make.
That's a decent explanation. Not sure I buy Xavier thinking in those terms, though. I see him as more of an idealist.
Since

[spoilers] Charles is speaking to them from the DoFP timeframe[/spoilers]

I can see his "idealism" being a bit blunted.
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2009, 05:47 PM   #47
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Wolverine And The X-Men - anyone watching?

Christopher wrote: View Post
darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
Given the bleak present and the liklihood of an even bleaker future (MRD, Sentinels, etc) can you see Catatonic Cyclops being the leader the X-Men need?

I can't.

The only other possible option MIGHT be Storm, but Wolverine is a soldier. He'll make the tough calls "Slim" wouldn't dare make.
That's a decent explanation. Not sure I buy Xavier thinking in those terms, though. I see him as more of an idealist. And Scott is like a son to him. He'd be more likely to tell Scott that he had to get his act together and become a leader again because the world depended on it.

Although maybe Charles is trying to protect Scott. Logan essentially can't be killed, so if things are getting much more dangerous for the X-Men, he's a good choice as the leader.
Good points but still, they've shown that Scott can't lead if Jean is gone.

How can you really be a team leader if you can't move past the loss of one? That isn't the mind set of a soldier. They won't have Storm lead, which I assume is because of the mostly young male demographic. If "DoFP" is their fate, not Cyclops but rather Wolverire is the only one who can teach them how to fight for more than just civil rights. He can teach them how to fight to survive.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2009, 06:16 PM   #48
neogothboy74
Commander
 
neogothboy74's Avatar
 
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Send a message via AIM to neogothboy74 Send a message via Yahoo to neogothboy74
Re: Wolverine And The X-Men - anyone watching?

Robotech Master wrote: View Post
I hear there is a new X-Men series out.

How is it? Is it worth watching?

How does it stack up to the previous shows, X-Men: The Animated Series and X-Men Evolution?
I've seen the entire series, and I loved it. It's easily my favorite of the animated X-Men shows; I enjoyed the 90's tune (though I liked Pryde of the X-Men more) - and I couldn't get into X-Men: Evolution. The latest series is very serialized, and handles the cast better - and the cast of characters is huge - using mutants I never expected to see in the series. I enjoyed the ending a lot, and it's the kind of series that would really play well as a dvd boxed set, though I've only seen it released as volumes.
neogothboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2009, 09:12 PM   #49
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Wolverine And The X-Men - anyone watching?

neogothboy74 wrote: View Post
Robotech Master wrote: View Post
I hear there is a new X-Men series out.

How is it? Is it worth watching?

How does it stack up to the previous shows, X-Men: The Animated Series and X-Men Evolution?
I've seen the entire series, and I loved it. It's easily my favorite of the animated X-Men shows; I enjoyed the 90's tune (though I liked Pryde of the X-Men more) - and I couldn't get into X-Men: Evolution. The latest series is very serialized, and handles the cast better - and the cast of characters is huge - using mutants I never expected to see in the series. I enjoyed the ending a lot, and it's the kind of series that would really play well as a dvd boxed set, though I've only seen it released as volumes.
The entire series is already done?
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2009, 09:38 PM   #50
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral
 
Location: the Unreconstructed South
Re: Wolverine And The X-Men - anyone watching?

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
neogothboy74 wrote: View Post
Robotech Master wrote: View Post
I hear there is a new X-Men series out.

How is it? Is it worth watching?

How does it stack up to the previous shows, X-Men: The Animated Series and X-Men Evolution?
I've seen the entire series, and I loved it. It's easily my favorite of the animated X-Men shows; I enjoyed the 90's tune (though I liked Pryde of the X-Men more) - and I couldn't get into X-Men: Evolution. The latest series is very serialized, and handles the cast better - and the cast of characters is huge - using mutants I never expected to see in the series. I enjoyed the ending a lot, and it's the kind of series that would really play well as a dvd boxed set, though I've only seen it released as volumes.
The entire series is already done?

I think he means "season".
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2009, 10:04 PM   #51
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Wolverine And The X-Men - anyone watching?

Gah, of course. I'm such a silly American.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2009, 10:10 PM   #52
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral
 
Location: the Unreconstructed South
Re: Wolverine And The X-Men - anyone watching?

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Gah, of course. I'm such a silly American.
Well, sometimes in Europe, "series" and "season" are used synomymously.
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 05:00 AM   #53
roguephoenix
Captain
 
roguephoenix's Avatar
 
Re: Wolverine And The X-Men - anyone watching?

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
Thrall wrote: View Post
not i. just don't want to support anymore wolvercrap.
Ditto. Emma Frost is in it too, so I don't want anything to do with it.

I will not watch something that is the ultimate example of everything I've grown to hate and despise about the franchise and characters I once adored as a child. The X-Men are dead to me. Time to move on.
Why do you hate Wolverine and Emma Frost, and why was the franchise better in the past, exactly?
i really don't like one minor uninteresting character being billed as "top dog" when there's no logical reason that he would have lasted this long. his powers compared to the others are nothing and the fact that he's being marketed s one of the most powerful is absolute garbage. HE ruined x3 because the film's story was tailored so that the idiot can be at the center of it all. i just don't get his popularity.

and leading from that first reason he's on every damned marvel title. it wouldn't surprise me if we see him on every dc comics title now... >_< it's just ridiculous for this one damned character to get all the stories and spotlight when he's really not that much. very annoying. i think of him as the jar jar of the marvel universe.
roguephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 10:32 AM   #54
neogothboy74
Commander
 
neogothboy74's Avatar
 
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Send a message via AIM to neogothboy74 Send a message via Yahoo to neogothboy74
Re: Wolverine And The X-Men - anyone watching?

I did mean season. Sorry. I watch a lot of british tv (AbFab, the Doctor Whoniverse, Little Britain, etc) and I get my words mixed up as a result. I loved the Season.

I think it was called Wolverine & the X-Men to capitalize on the Wolverine movie - or at least that's what I assumed when the series was announced. But while Wolverine isn't my favorite character, I think putting him in a leadership role has worked wonders for Scott / Cyclops; his character has taken on some of the traits associated with Wolverine and I think it's really worked well for him. And this Logan has taken on some of Scott's personality as well. I really like this version of the team. A lot of the story / character seems based on the films, but they're not afraid of bringing in lots of comic inspired characters / stories - or of taking risks.

As for Emma Frost, I thought she worked wonders here. I'm so sick of Jean Grey. I used to love her and the Phoenix storyline but it's just been done to death. Literally. She's alive. She'd dead. She's alive. She's a clone. She's the Phoenix Force. She's travelled through time. She's dead. She's Alive. I just can't deal with it anymore. However, I do think they deal very well with this permutation of her character in this series, so I like her a lot more here; and I'm actuallly excited to see what the 2nd season will bring for these characters. I really enjoy the large cast of characters. I was constantly impressed at seeing so many favorites of mine, and seeing them used well. And they always left me hungry for more.

I'm hooked.
neogothboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 10:36 AM   #55
neogothboy74
Commander
 
neogothboy74's Avatar
 
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Send a message via AIM to neogothboy74 Send a message via Yahoo to neogothboy74
Re: Wolverine And The X-Men - anyone watching?

miraclefan wrote: View Post
It's okay, not great. I wish they would let wolverine just cut loose for once and go ''berzerker'' and hack/slash some villians, blood ''N'' guts flying everywhere and afterwards have him smoke a cigar! I know it's a ''kids'' show and it will never happen, but I can dream
Have you seen the "Hulk Vs" dvd? It has a short "Hulk vs. Wolverine" which is something of a prequel to this series. The animation is similar, and the voice actor for Wolverine is the same; the Weapon X characters are introduced there - and there's a sequel to it in the series called "Wolverine vs. Hulk". And this dvd prequel is very bloody. Deadpool has a very memorable scene.
neogothboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 03:22 PM   #56
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Wolverine And The X-Men - anyone watching?

roguephoenix wrote: View Post
Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
Thrall wrote: View Post

Ditto. Emma Frost is in it too, so I don't want anything to do with it.

I will not watch something that is the ultimate example of everything I've grown to hate and despise about the franchise and characters I once adored as a child. The X-Men are dead to me. Time to move on.
Why do you hate Wolverine and Emma Frost, and why was the franchise better in the past, exactly?
i really don't like one minor uninteresting character being billed as "top dog" when there's no logical reason that he would have lasted this long. his powers compared to the others are nothing and the fact that he's being marketed s one of the most powerful is absolute garbage. HE ruined x3 because the film's story was tailored so that the idiot can be at the center of it all. i just don't get his popularity.

and leading from that first reason he's on every damned marvel title. it wouldn't surprise me if we see him on every dc comics title now... >_< it's just ridiculous for this one damned character to get all the stories and spotlight when he's really not that much. very annoying. i think of him as the jar jar of the marvel universe.
I think you might be missing the joke of irony, they even poke fun of it in the films too. About how Wolverine is the center of attention but the plots and story focus is never about him. Not one X-Men story or plot is ever about Wolverine, just go thru all the major stories & plots.

God Loves Man Kills
PHoenix Saga
Dark Phoenix Saga
Days of Future's Past
Extinction Agenda
X-Ecutioner's Song
Age Of Apocalypse
Infernio

the list goes on...

Even the films:
First plot was to get & use Rogue
Second was to get and use Charles
Third was to get and use Phoenix

Wolvie isn't top dog, he just a means to an end to carry the story along.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 07:49 PM   #57
Capt_Piett
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Bremerton, Washington
Re: Wolverine And The X-Men - anyone watching?

I was watching it, but then for some reason it fell off my Tivo. It recorded the first two episodes, then couldn't find it anymore when I tried searching for programs to record. Not sure what happened with it, but I did enjoy what I saw. Ah well. There'll be DVDs of the first season, I'm sure.
__________________
"We childproofed our homes, but they are still getting in..."
Capt_Piett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 11:19 PM   #58
miraclefan
Commodore
 
miraclefan's Avatar
 
Location: The F U state of TEXAS!
Re: Wolverine And The X-Men - anyone watching?

neogothboy74 wrote: View Post
miraclefan wrote: View Post
It's okay, not great. I wish they would let wolverine just cut loose for once and go ''berzerker'' and hack/slash some villians, blood ''N'' guts flying everywhere and afterwards have him smoke a cigar! I know it's a ''kids'' show and it will never happen, but I can dream
Have you seen the "Hulk Vs" dvd? It has a short "Hulk vs. Wolverine" which is something of a prequel to this series. The animation is similar, and the voice actor for Wolverine is the same; the Weapon X characters are introduced there - and there's a sequel to it in the series called "Wolverine vs. Hulk". And this dvd prequel is very bloody. Deadpool has a very memorable scene.
HOLD ON!! DEAD-POOL! ''THE'' DEAD-POOL is in this? the merc with a mouth is in the DVD?! I love that ''nut'' he's my favorite marvel charactor!He's damned funny as hell to! Has anybody here read DEAD-POOL/secret invasion? or the recent one-shot? PRICELESS!
__________________
THEY WERE THE POLICE...JUDGE...JURY...& EXECUTIONER ALL IN ONE.

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 11:50 PM   #59
roguephoenix
Captain
 
roguephoenix's Avatar
 
Re: Wolverine And The X-Men - anyone watching?

exodus wrote: View Post
roguephoenix wrote: View Post
Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post

Why do you hate Wolverine and Emma Frost, and why was the franchise better in the past, exactly?
i really don't like one minor uninteresting character being billed as "top dog" when there's no logical reason that he would have lasted this long. his powers compared to the others are nothing and the fact that he's being marketed s one of the most powerful is absolute garbage. HE ruined x3 because the film's story was tailored so that the idiot can be at the center of it all. i just don't get his popularity.

and leading from that first reason he's on every damned marvel title. it wouldn't surprise me if we see him on every dc comics title now... >_< it's just ridiculous for this one damned character to get all the stories and spotlight when he's really not that much. very annoying. i think of him as the jar jar of the marvel universe.
I think you might be missing the joke of irony, they even poke fun of it in the films too. About how Wolverine is the center of attention but the plots and story focus is never about him. Not one X-Men story or plot is ever about Wolverine, just go thru all the major stories & plots.

God Loves Man Kills
PHoenix Saga
Dark Phoenix Saga
Days of Future's Past
Extinction Agenda
X-Ecutioner's Song
Age Of Apocalypse
Infernio

the list goes on...

Even the films:
First plot was to get & use Rogue
Second was to get and use Charles
Third was to get and use Phoenix

Wolvie isn't top dog, he just a means to an end to carry the story along.
exactly. so when they took some of those great story arcs and tried to make them wolvercrap-centric they came up with... crap, for lack of a better word. trying to make the story not center on the focus of the story is just stupid. the third movie was about the phoenix and the cure and instead it became a very short wolvercrap movie. not that he's the only one to blame for that pile of a movie. they just picked the wrong people for it. first the director... come on. they thought getting a fluf comedy director would do well with an epic drama? who's bright idea was that. second, the writer. that guy needs to be shot dead. i don't know how he managed to turn two great story arcs into one very short bore-fest. that's quite an accomplishment really. one would almost think it was done deliberately. those two stories combined should have netted at least 3 hours worth of movie and not 1.5 hours.
roguephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2009, 01:39 AM   #60
Ultimale
Lieutenant
 
Ultimale's Avatar
 
Location: Superman of Earth-25
Re: Wolverine And The X-Men - anyone watching?

miraclefan wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
And it's very un-kiddie in another way, though I wouldn't exactly call it mature -- there's hardly a single female character on the show who's smaller than a D cup, and several of the costumes (notably Emma Frost and Domino) are very much designed to show that off.
^And BOY! did I notice!YOWZA! To say that I was suprised by seeing ''THOSE'' on a ''Nick'' show is an understament!
Mmm...how I love tits.
__________________
An American Crisis!
Ultimale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
animation, marvel, mutants, wolverine, x-men

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.