Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 24 2009, 06:05 AM   #1456
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

^Oooooooh. Me likey!
Old March 26 2009, 01:03 AM   #1457
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I just started reading "A Singular Destiny" and I've been picturing Bruce Davison as Professor Sonek Pran.

And while I can't remember the character's name, you remember in "Section 31: Abyss" that rogue scientist who was breeding his own Jem'Hadar? I always thought that would be a good role in which to finally bring admitted Trekkie Tom Hanks into the Star Trek universe.

Commander Cavit said:
I've seen Richard Burton and Richard Harris be both. Some men are so full of greatness that even their halfbaked efforts have a grandeur to them.
Agreed. For further examples, I offer Marlon Brando as Jor-El in Superman.

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
Nan Bacco: I can't help but picture future Admiral Janeway from Voyagers "Endgame"
Agreed. At least, that's who I see whenever I'm reminded of how old she is.

Darth_Pazuzu said:
How about John Cameron Mitchell as Burgoyne 172 from New Frontier?
Wasn't he one of the guys in "Space Mutiny" of MST3K fame?

Doctor Phlox wrote: View Post
Razuur2 said:
Treir - Tricia Helfer with green skin...
Me too!

And Bowers is black!?
I agree about Helfer as Treir.

As for Bowers, I'm surprised too. But then, for a while, I thought Sam Bowers was a woman. And in the bits I've been reading from "A Singular Destiny," I've been picturing Lt. Carey from Voyager.

Haval_Runa wrote: View Post
We've seen "black" Vulcans
...on Super Friends!
Old March 26 2009, 03:14 AM   #1458
enterprisefan
Ensign

I only have two.

Kiefer Sutherland for Major Stephen Foyle

Jordana Brewster for Lieutenant Kiona Thayer
enterprisefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2009, 11:02 PM   #1459
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I actually pictured Alan Dale as Major Foyle for some reason.
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2009, 01:53 PM   #1460
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

Sci wrote: View Post
So, I've just decided that if they should ever cast Velisa, host of Illuminating the City of Light in Articles of the Federation and A Singular Destiny, Rachel Maddow should play her.
I had no awareness of the magnificent Ms. Maddow when I wrote Articles in 2004, but that works for me.

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
I just started reading "A Singular Destiny" and I've been picturing Bruce Davison as Professor Sonek Pran.
As I've said here and elsewhere, the template for Pran is Arlo Guthrie. Having said that, Davison's not a bad choice at all...

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
Nan Bacco: I can't help but picture future Admiral Janeway from Voyagers "Endgame"
Agreed. At least, that's who I see whenever I'm reminded of how old she is.

I agree about Helfer as Treir.
Given that Helfer has played, in essence, six or seven different roles on Battlestar Galactica, I'm sure she could pull it off.... FWIW, though, the template for Treir has always been Suzie Plakson.

As for Bowers, I'm surprised too. But then, for a while, I thought Sam Bowers was a woman. And in the bits I've been reading from "A Singular Destiny," I've been picturing Lt. Carey from Voyager.
He is, in fact, black, and has been described as such regularly. Initially, when I wrote Bowers in Demons of Air and Darkness, my template for him was Michael Boatman, but by the time I got to write him again in ASD, I had come around to Mr. Mack's notion of him being Roger Cross.

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2009, 06:44 PM   #1461
Enterprise1981
Rear Admiral

View Enterprise1981's Twitter Profile

I saw some suggestions of Cherry Jones for Bacco. That sounds okay. But Jacqueline Brookes who played Admiral Brand in the TNG episode "The First Duty" would better fit the picture on the cover of "Articles of the Federation."

Rachel Maddow as Velisa (albeit somewhat cartoonish, adding Kriosian spots from Famke Jansen as Kamala).
Enterprise1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2009, 07:27 PM   #1462
Danoz
Rear Admiral

Here's my full cast list, for the most part.

Akaar - Dwayne Johnson "The Rock" - Seen this one from the beginning. Aged makeup and a commanding voice, I think he'd play this part well.
Treir - Halle Berry - not that she would ever play this sort of supporting role... nevertheless, she's who I see playing it.
Elias Vaughn - Sir Ian McKellen - This one has been open to the most debate. So many people have said Sean Connery-- but I don't see him succeeding at this role. Elias Vaughn has kind, gentle eyes-- it is a perfect role for McKellen.
Phillipa Mathias - Zoe Wanamaker - Not sure why. Spunky, strong character I think Wanamaker would do a nice job.
Thirishar ch'Than - Elijah Wood - Another open to debate.. given the right makeup, I think Wood would really execute the role of an emotionally complicated Andoran.
Yevir Linjarin - Hugo Weaving - Cast a better Yevir. You hate him, but you have to love him.
Prynn Tenmei - Grace Park - Sort of a cop out, but I think she'd play it well.
Taran'atar - (voiced by) Kelsey Grammer - I was actually surprised to find that other people also thought this... must be a remnent of his excellent job in X-Men. Physically, though, I don't see Kelsey Grammar playing the role-- just voicing it.
Sam Bowers - Don Franklin - Was in 7-days. Pretty light role, but would be good for Franklin.
Ethan Locken - Paul Bettany - Hah! It was fun reading the Section 31 bits picturing Bettany as Locken. These were great lines to interpret.
Wex - Evanna Lynch - The way she played Luna in Harry Potter would work well with this part.
Zin Dezavrim - Nathan Fillion - I can't deny it. This particular book was Firefly reborn for me.
Facity Sleedow - Morena Baccarin
Azeni Korena - Kandyse McClure - Treat her well, Jake.
Danoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2009, 09:49 PM   #1463
captcalhoun
Admiral

i dunno about the rest, but you got the first two completely and totally WRONG.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2009, 10:20 PM   #1464
Christopher
Writer

Danoz wrote: View Post
[/URL]Azeni Korena - Kandyse McClure - Treat her well, Jake.
Korena was played by Galyn Görg in "The Visitor." Though presumably her "present-day" version would be somewhat younger.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2009, 11:56 PM   #1465
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

Enterprise1981 wrote: View Post

Rachel Maddow as Velisa (albeit somewhat cartoonish, adding Kriosian spots from Famke Jansen as Kamala).
Okay, at first glance, I thought this was Zack Braff.

... In fact, I still do.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2009, 10:13 PM   #1466
Danoz
Rear Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
i dunno about the rest, but you got the first two completely and totally WRONG.
How is Halle Berry a bad choice? I think the artwork for Treir defies the writing. They describe her as this incredibly beautiful green sex goddess, and then the cover on the gamma books is this ridiculously ugly woman... Halle Berry? Now that works for me because she has the seduction act DOWN.

"The Rock" as Akaar is certainly open to debate, but with proper makeup he'd command that role pretty well. When he was first being described (both physically and in mannerisms) I immediately thought of The Rock.
Old March 28 2009, 10:16 PM   #1467
Danoz
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Danoz wrote: View Post
[/url]Azeni Korena - Kandyse McClure - Treat her well, Jake.
Korena was played by Galyn Görg in "The Visitor." Though presumably her "present-day" version would be somewhat younger.
I remember this episode vaguely. Doesn't Jake spend his entire life searching for his father to the complete expense of his own existence? ... I need to go back and watch all the DS9 episodes again.

Reading these really makes me realize his just DIFFERENT our experiences/interpretations are reading these books .
Old March 28 2009, 10:35 PM   #1468
captcalhoun
Admiral

KRAD's said, Treir is supposed to be played by Suzie Plakson.

as for Akaar, he's on the cover of Titan: The Red King and The Rock's way too muscular in comparison.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2009, 10:56 PM   #1469
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Who are we thinking of for the new Counselor Cambridge in Full Circle?
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2009, 10:58 PM   #1470
Danoz
Rear Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
KRAD's said, Treir is supposed to be played by Suzie Plakson.

as for Akaar, he's on the cover of Titan: The Red King and The Rock's way too muscular in comparison.
Odd choice for the cover considering he's first described as having a golden tan/dark skin tone, heavily lined face and imposing, broad-shouldered build. Anyway, I disagree with KRAD (yes, I disagree with the author ) about Suzie Plakson in this role... she doesn't have the right face for being described as commanding a room on presence and beauty alone. Writer's don't always get to cast

To each his own, again I enjoy this casting thing more than I should