Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode:
Excellent 15 39.47%
Above average 7 18.42%
Average 7 18.42%
Below average 5 13.16%
Poor 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 28 2009, 10:37 AM   #1
Aragorn
Admiral

Battlestar Galactica 5x01: "Slowly the Hands on a Shovel"

Inspired by Gep Malakai and JonathonWally... who were inspired by me???

Welcome to the grading & discussion thread for Battlestar Galactica 5x01: "Slowly the Hands on a Shovel."
***SPOILERS AHEAD***

"Slowly the Hands on a Shovel"

Just a week into living off the land of new Earth, a third of Lee's village comes down with a serious illness that like nothing Cottle's ever seen before. Meanwhile, Bill finds out he's not alone, Baltar accidentally makes first contact with a female member of a native tribe and Leoben makes a startling discovery about life after death.

Last edited by Aragorn; March 28 2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old March 28 2009, 10:43 AM   #2
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 5x01: "Slowly the Hands on a Shovel"

It was a decent episode. But I have to give it a Below Average because it totally ripped off the plot to Enterprise's "Interregnum".
Old March 28 2009, 10:56 AM   #3
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

The Cottle subplot was a little contrived, mostly because we've seen this kind of thing before on Star Trek a million times. I did like that they were willing to avoid pulling a tidy cure out of nowhere by the end, though. Baltar's joke about Helo surviving everything was a nice touch, though knowing this show, it probably means he'll die from the infection next week.

EDIT: What was with the cutaway to Tyrol during the negotiation scene? It looked like he was digging something up, but they didn't show us what. Though that explains the title, I guess.
Old March 28 2009, 11:18 AM   #4
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally

I thought it was funny in an odd way that of all the careers Apollo has had, he has the most trouble adjusting to being a farmer.

He was a fighter pilot, commander of a Battlestar, a Lawyer, Quorom member, President, but yet has the most trouble being a farmer.

It just goes to show that even 5 years in the writers can still surprise us with something new and exciting while the actors are still just as fresh in their roles as day 1. Something Jamie Bamber should really be commended on.
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
Old March 28 2009, 11:30 AM   #5
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Mark my words: This show is set to become a total rip-off of "Lost" now. I'm just waiting for "the Others" to appear.
Old March 28 2009, 11:48 AM   #6
Skywalker
Admiral

Well, it was okay, but I'm beginning to think that they should have stuck with their original plan and ended after four seasons. I don't see what Hotdog trying to teach cavemen how to play Pyramid has to do with anything.
Old March 28 2009, 11:54 AM   #7
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Well, it was okay, but I'm beginning to think that they should have stuck with their original plan and ended after four seasons. I don't see what Hotdog trying to teach cavemen how to play Pyramid has to do with anything.
I don't know, I thought it was a cool way to have an "ice breaker" thing between the Colonials and the Natives. I mean, when you're new to the neighborhood in Tribal Africa you can't just have a house party and invite the neighbors over.

It lent itself to be a more "primal" ritual type thing while showing us that these Tribal people are indeed human. It was nice how it was able to do so without being to heavy handed or preachy.
Old March 28 2009, 12:06 PM   #8
Skywalker
Admiral

Yeah, but Hotdog? Come on, are they really that hard-up for decent characters that they had to use frakking Hotdog? I guess the rumors about EJO starting to push his weight around more on the set were true.
Old March 28 2009, 12:15 PM   #9
JonathonWally
Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Yeah, but Hotdog? Come on, are they really that hard-up for decent characters that they had to use frakking Hotdog? I guess the rumors about EJO starting to push his weight around more on the set were true.
I'm with you on that, sort of.

I'm really hoping that with the loss of so many major characters some of the minor ones can really step up into larger heavier roles so RDM and company don't have to go for too much outside talent.
Old March 28 2009, 01:19 PM   #10
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Excellent

The way Helo caught that rabbit was truly inspired, not to mention hilarious.

They shouldn't have recast Athena with Eliza Dushku, though.
Old March 28 2009, 01:25 PM   #11
EstoniaKat
Lieutenant

Anybody know of a working torrent download for this? I've only been able to find fakes.
Old March 28 2009, 01:32 PM   #12
Lookingglassman
Admiral

Was this for real? I checked Sci Fi last night and didnt see no BSG on it?
Old March 28 2009, 01:43 PM   #13
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Worst episode ever. This show was much better in the first two seasons. All of the characters are assholes. I didn't like the mini-series. The ending sucked. They still haven't explained that one line from episode 7 way back in 2005.

Fail.
Old March 28 2009, 01:58 PM   #14
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Someone should really smack Apollo for coming up with the idea of creating flying motorcycles from parts of the destroyed Raptors so they could get to one of the other settlements to find the cure.

-Chris
Old March 28 2009, 02:07 PM   #15
Frontman
Lieutenant Commander

Was that Starbuck reflected in that pond? It seemed to me when Lee turned his back there was a female figure outlines and looked very much like Starbuck. I'll post caps later.