RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,674
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 517
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 27 2009, 01:24 AM   #16
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Re: Cobra Commander revealed (SPOILERS)

My God people, it's just a mask.

You'd think civilization was on the verge of collapse the way you guys are making a big deal out of it. He became a snake in the cartoon, for crying out loud.

How is this worse than that?

You guys are talking about it should be more realistic. Zartan changed colors, what realism?
Old March 27 2009, 01:35 AM   #17
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post

So we're, what, supposed to accept it because he's got a condition?

Howzabout this? Howzabout we don't put in the usual "let's make the villain more human" Cliche ailment and just make him the fucking BAD GUY, 'kay? How hard is that??
Thing of it is, that one of the (latter?) origins of the Commander would have been prefect for this day and age: A small business man that has a bad day-- brother killed, wife dumps him, and the IRS fucks him over-- he snaps, starts a massive pyramid scheme to fund his anti-govt. plans and actions, and as time goes on he goes from a small time militia-type nutjob to a full blown domestic and international terrorist threat.

Fucks, it's the two for one special: He's human-- he's joe every man in the current economy, and he's a major nutjob bad guy that only cares about bringing down the world govts.
Exactly! And the best part? Easy explanation for a KKK mask with eyeholes: He doesn't want people to know his identity! Period! End of Story! No Burn-victim-boy-in-the-plastic-bubble shit necessary!

Typical goddamned Hollywood Logic! "Well, normal Special Forces clothes aren't flashy enough, so let's make them all look like Batman!" "Gee, we know there's more than one Black guy on the team, but let's take a white character and make him Black instead of using one of them anyway." And now: "I was horribly burned and have to keep my face in a plastic jar so I'm gonna take over the world, so there! "

And exodus, here's why I'm being so vocal: Even though the phrase "raping my childhood" is overused by rabid fans on the 'net, when you can actually feel the metaphorical peener going in, you are obligated to say something!
I'm still not seeing the problem of the bad guy, you know the blood thirsty TERRORIST, wearing something that looks like a KKK mask...he's the bad guy, he's evil...say it with me E-V-I-L. He's not going to be PC.

In the comic and 'toon the made did shit that Bin Laden probably wants to crib notes from, I don't think Cobra Commander thinks "Hmm, I don't want to offend them before I blow them up"
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2009, 01:37 AM   #18
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

exodus wrote: View Post
My God people, it's just a mask.
So is the cloth one, yet the moviemakers seemed to have KKK issues with that one. Are you saying we don't deserve to have reservations about the one they picked?

You'd think civilization was on the verge of collapse the way you guys are making a big deal out of it. He became a snake in the cartoon, for crying out loud.
He killed and tortured people in the comic. The snake thing, not so much.

How is this worse than that?
It's not. The fact that it's as stupid as something depicted in the cartoon doesn't make it acceptable. He is the BAD GUY. He should look the part.

You guys are talking about it should be more realistic. Zartan changed colors, what realism?
Forget realism. Honor the source material. His original masks are fine, and only Hollywood Logic makes the Bubble-Boy mask a sensible change.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2009, 01:41 AM   #19
SeerSGB
Admiral

Forget realism. Honor the source material. His original masks are fine, and only Hollywood Logic makes the Bubble-Boy mask a sensible change.
Well there's the whole thing of "It's GI Joe not Tom Clancy". As serious a GI Joe was a times, the word "realistic" never entered my mind as a criticism or a wish.

Shit, what's wrong with making a toon/comic movie that's sticks to the source material and doesn't try to make it serious and work with the real world?
Old March 27 2009, 01:59 AM   #20
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Well there's the whole thing of "It's GI Joe not Tom Clancy". As serious a GI Joe was a times, the word "realistic" never entered my mind as a criticism or a wish.
I'll be honest. I do wish for a realistic GIJOE movie, always have, but I would prefer a cartoonish depiction to the "Everything But Actual GIJOE" crapfest we're about to receive.

Shit, what's wrong with making a toon/comic movie that's sticks to the source material and doesn't try to make it serious and work with the real world?
My argument would be that CC's original mask does work in the real world. It's a hood with eyeholes cut in it. I see them all over the place in cold winters. Bank robbers use 'em all the time. It's got to be the simplest costume the designers could manufacture, but it was rejected, not because it wasn't realistic, but because the moviemakers were afraid only white supremacists would watch the movie if they used it! Hollywood Logic!

YO, PRODUCERS! I'M A BLACK MAN AND I SAY GIVE CC HIS HOOD BACK! I PERSONALLY DON'T CARE IF IT MAKES HIM LOOK LIKE A KLUKKER!

-Tom Clancy
Old March 27 2009, 02:03 AM   #21
SeerSGB
Admiral

Man, any Cobra Commander cosplayers that show up for the opening are going to get some weird ass The way things are, I can just see it on the 6 o'clock news now.
Old March 27 2009, 02:05 AM   #22
Aragorn
Admiral

Is Lorenzo Di Boneventura a long lost Weinstein?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2009, 02:08 AM   #23
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Man, any Cobra Commander cosplayers that show up for the opening are going to get some weird ass The way things are, I can just see it on the 6 o'clock news now.
Actually, that'd be cool, because at this point, any Cobra Commander cosplayers that show up will likely be carrying picket signs!

I say definitely put that shit on the 6 O'clock news!

-Tom Clancy
Old March 27 2009, 02:09 AM   #24
exodus
Fleet Admiral

The source material was he was a used car sales man that became a terrorist because Snake Eyes drove his family off the road in a car accident.

You really expect the mass public to not laugh their asses off at that?

Again, the source material has Zartan turning colors to blend into a wall and built a man out of DNA dust and called him "Serpentor"!
Old March 27 2009, 02:09 AM   #25
SeerSGB
Admiral

Actually, that'd be cool, because at this point, any Cobra Commander cosplayers that show up will likely be carrying picket signs!

I say definitely put that shit on the 6 O'clock news!
What you really need to make people shit bricks: Cobra Command, and a phalanx of vipers.
Old March 27 2009, 02:17 AM   #26
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

The source material was he was a used car sales man that became a terrorist because Snake Eyes drove his family off the road in a car accident.

And the terrorist in the see-through Ant-Man mask is less comical?

Again, the source material has Zartan turning colors to blend into a wall and built a man out of DNA dust and called him "Serpentor"!
And again, it also includes that same used car salesman taking over entire countries, putting a contract out on his own son and shooting people in the head for not thinking positive! Which mask do you think fits that Cobra Commander more?

-Tom Clancy
Old March 27 2009, 02:18 AM   #27
DaleC76
Captain

I think the new version looks a little generic. For me, it's not so much honoring the source material as it is the original look was so perfect. It was iconic.

I also liked the battle helmet.

Old March 27 2009, 02:28 AM   #28
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

I like the battle helmet. The mirrored visor...you see your reflection. It's mysterious like the humanoids in The Black Hole.

Instead they turned his head into Krang from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2009, 02:32 AM   #29
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

Wow, ickies. Not fond of that look for the character at all. It surprises me that they got the look of a few key characters right (Snake Eyes, Stormshadow and Baroness in particular) but strayed so far from this one. I mean, it's not going to keep me away from the movie, but I would've preferred a variant on the battle mask m'self.
Old March 27 2009, 02:39 AM   #30
exodus
Fleet Admiral

And the terrorist in the see-through Ant-Man mask is less comical?

And again, it also includes that same used car salesman taking over entire countries, putting a contract out on his own son and shooting people in the head for not thinking positive! Which mask do you think fits that Cobra Commander more?
The see thru one from the movie.

Modern terrorists aren't afraid to show their faces anymore.
He's got no family and isn't associated with any country, what's he hiding under a hood for?