Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 26 2009, 03:55 AM   #61
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Re: Bear's Finale Music

The VFX guys have been copying shots from the original series for a while. They slipped them in from time to time. You just had to be familiar with the old show to pick them out.

-Chris
Old March 26 2009, 05:25 AM   #62
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

Re: "the music" was well used/explained IMO

Candlelight wrote: View Post

It felt like Bear had taken a break for this last episode. Really did.
Read the blog entry. It was his most "ambitious" epsiode ever, there will be an entire CD soutrack for just Daybreak, and he said he barely slept for 16 days straight working on it.

That's what I call taking a break.
Old March 26 2009, 05:32 AM   #63
Harvey
Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
ncc74302 wrote: View Post
I found it very interesting that Bear slipped in the theme as a nod to the original without even knowing that RDM had given that directive to the VFX guys to do the same thing.
Now, now. With these VFX guys, they're probably the ones with the idea to do that. (Much like they were the ones who wanted to use the classic Centurions that had been put to "other uses" as Six said in the mini.)
It's probable (I haven't listened that far in the podcast to hear if RDM comments), but Bear wrote on his blog that it was Moore's idea.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old March 26 2009, 05:50 AM   #64
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

Interesting note: In the strip club on Caprica, the rock song playing was written by Brendan McCreary intended to be played in Joes bar for an episode but it wasn,t so he put it in here.

The interesting thing though, is the lyrics describe the colonial holocaust and subsequent exodus that the show has been about. But this song was playing BEFORE then... and of course, the singer is the same as the BSG version of "Watchtower".

Its cool to think that maybe the singer himself in the BSG context was a prophet of some kind
Old March 26 2009, 07:24 AM   #65
hamudm
Rear Admiral

View hamudm's Twitter Profile

Sucks that he's not including Razor music on the ssn 4 album I've already purchased the previous soundtracks, so basically I'm forced to buy them again in a boxset if I want the Razor soundtrack. Balls.
Old March 26 2009, 12:28 PM   #66
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Razor also had a cool version of the original theme as well during the battle above the ice planet.

-Chris
Old March 26 2009, 01:35 PM   #67
David cgc
Vice Admiral

hamudm wrote: View Post
Sucks that he's not including Razor music on the ssn 4 album I've already purchased the previous soundtracks, so basically I'm forced to buy them again in a boxset if I want the Razor soundtrack. Balls.
I'm pretty sure the box set he refers to would be entirely unreleased music. He's been talking about doing a bonus album of stuff that didn't fit on the CDs since the day the first season soundtrack came out, and a few months ago, while soliciting requests for what should be on the season 4 soundtrack, he mentioned that every year he has around half a CD's worth of music that was in his "keep" pile that was cut simply because it wouldn't fit. So the fact that he calls it a "boxed set of unreleased material" rather than a "bonus album" probably is just because he has enough for three or four bonus albums now, and not because he intends the unreleased music to be some kind of premium for a giftset of previously released material. Remember, he's a soundtrack fan, too, and so is probably disinclined to jerk the rest of us around.
Old March 26 2009, 08:21 PM   #68
cbspock
Rear Admiral

He should do a Battlestar Galactica Anthology set, like John Williams did with the 3 Star Wars films. It came with a book that described all the character themes, etc.

-Chris
Old March 26 2009, 09:45 PM   #69
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Incidentally, in the comments, Bear confirmed my interpretation of what he meant by "box set."
Originally posted by Bear McCreary
Quick question: what will the box set contain? Will it include the soundtracks of seasons 1-3, as well as 4, Daybreak, and unreleased stuff? Im just curious because I might rather wait for that than purchase the soundtrack for Season 4 and Daybreak early.
The box set idea is a ways off (like at least a year, maybe more). In fact, Im doing a blog entry soon about the upcoming soundtrack release dates. However, the box set will almost certainly contain only unreleased material from all four seasons, sketches, demos, rejected cues, etc. So, definitely dont wait on the Season 4 CD.
Old March 26 2009, 09:48 PM   #70
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

David cgc wrote: View Post
Incidentally, in the comments, Bear confirmed my interpretation of what he meant by "box set."
However, the box set will almost certainly contain only unreleased material from all four seasons, sketches, demos, rejected cues, etc. So, definitely dont wait on the Season 4 CD.
SQUEEEEEE! *girlish giggles*
Old March 26 2009, 11:04 PM   #71
hamudm
Rear Admiral

View hamudm's Twitter Profile

Quick question: what will the box set contain? Will it include the soundtracks of seasons 1-3, as well as 4, Daybreak, and unreleased stuff? Im just curious because I might rather wait for that than purchase the soundtrack for Season 4 and Daybreak early.
The box set idea is a ways off (like at least a year, maybe more). In fact, Im doing a blog entry soon about the upcoming soundtrack release dates. However, the box set will almost certainly contain only unreleased material from all four seasons, sketches, demos, rejected cues, etc. So, definitely dont wait on the Season 4 CD.
Thanks for clearing that up!

I'm really hoping it doesn't take that long to get released. I DESPERATELY want the Razor soundtrack; Kendra's theme was positively beautiful!
Old March 27 2009, 11:08 AM   #72
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

Why is this CD not frakking out yet!!
Old March 27 2009, 08:45 PM   #73
Shaka
Lieutenant Commander

Part of me almost thinks the coda would've worked better as a post-credits sequence.
Couldn't agree more, and one reason i didn't like the coda was that it didn't end with Bear's music, but Hendrix'... i like Hendrix but Bear McCreary's music has been so essential to the whole nuBSG experience that i felt not including some of it in the very last moments was a weird direction to take.
Time...
Old March 28 2009, 12:22 AM   #74
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Yay! Soundtrack news!

The quick and dirty upshot:

Caprica's soundtrack will be available from La-La-Land in late May, and in stores in early June.

BSG Season 4 is set for the middle of July. It'll be two discs, with the first CD containing music from "He That Believeth In Me" to "Islanded in a Stream of Stars," and the second CD being pretty much the entire score of "Daybreak."

A soundtrack album for Razor and The Plan will be out sometime after that. That's a bit more vague, because he hasn't even seen The Plan yet, much less finished scoring it. My personal guess would be at the end of the year, since The Plan isn't airing until November, and it doesn't make too much sense to release the soundtrack to it first.

Finally, the multi-CD set of unreleased material from all four seasons is coming at some undetermined point in the future. I very much doubt it'll come out before next year.
Old March 28 2009, 02:08 AM   #75
ncc74302
Captain

Send a message via AIM to ncc74302 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ncc74302 Send a message via Yahoo to ncc74302

WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post
Interesting note: In the strip club on Caprica, the rock song playing was written by Brendan McCreary intended to be played in Joes bar for an episode but it wasn,t so he put it in here.

The interesting thing though, is the lyrics describe the colonial holocaust and subsequent exodus that the show has been about. But this song was playing BEFORE then... and of course, the singer is the same as the BSG version of "Watchtower".

Its cool to think that maybe the singer himself in the BSG context was a prophet of some kind
Another amusing fact: The other song played at the strip club at the end of the show was a techno remix of The Signal, the piece that plays as Kara is racing through the hallway to stop the airlocking of the Final Four in Revelations.