Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 25 2009, 04:31 AM   #46
Thrall
Commodore

Re: Firefly - Joss Whedon

There is not many western type settings in a space exploration science fiction TV series. Why did Joss Whedon's "Firefly" end after only one season? Did anyone else like that show? I can't find a forum for this show. I thought it was a great change up from the neat starfleet concepts. It spawned the "Serenity" movie sequels so what happened to the TV series?
1)It was badly promoted. The promo's promised something quirky and funny. What they got was something way different.

2)They ditched the 2 hour premiere in favor of the second episode, which screwed up the viewing order.

3)They put it on Friday's, which very few people watch TV on Fridays.

4)It was way too expensive for how much little money it made.

5)It was on Fox. Rupert and his boys are ruthless, cutthroat bastards. So if something isn't a hit right of the bat then they cancel it.

6)Genre TV is a niche market that does well on cable, but usually bombs on network TV. Network TV is the viewing place of the average, American, moron. So Reality Shows, Crime-Investigation Shows, and Generic Sitcom's will always be watched before anything new a different.
Old March 25 2009, 04:56 AM   #47
rramarr
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to rramarr

Thrall,

That's exactly what I was thinking in regards to network TV and NBCU's SciFi Channel. I honestly thought when I originally viewed Firefly, it was on cable - UPN or something.

Most SciFi fans understand that civilizations don't mature at the same rate - hence the prime directive. So why not accept some planets having a western culture - for those that was against it.

By no means am I expecting a Firefly return, but that does not mean we cannot have a spinoff prequel with browncoats or another aspect of the Serenity battle. If fans want it Joss will build it. Other than Summer Glau, Adam Baldwin, and soon Morena Baccarin with "V" what is the other cast up to anyway?
Old March 25 2009, 05:09 AM   #48
RoJoHen
Awesome

rramarr wrote: View Post
By no means am I expecting a Firefly return, but that does not mean we cannot have a spinoff prequel with browncoats or another aspect of the Serenity battle. If fans want it Joss will build it. Other than Summer Glau, Adam Baldwin, and soon Morena Baccarin with "V" what is the other cast up to anyway?
Fans DID fight for it. That's how we got "Serenity" in the first place. And frankly, that was an incredible achievement.

I think for most of us "Serenity" was a satisfactory conclusion to the story, so we are all willing to move on. There's no reason to force more out of it.
Old March 25 2009, 05:38 AM   #49
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Other than Summer Glau, Adam Baldwin, and soon Morena Baccarin with "V" what is the other cast up to anyway?
There's a rumor Tudyk may join Dollhouse soon. Fillion is the lead on Castle (which is great). Jewel was a regular on Stargate Atlantis for a while, but that's over of course. Haven't heard anything about Glass or Maher.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2009, 05:48 AM   #50
Ptrope
Agitator

Other than Summer Glau, Adam Baldwin, and soon Morena Baccarin with "V" what is the other cast up to anyway?
Nathan Fillion is currently the lead in ABC's Castle series, a police procedural where he plays a mystery writer who tags along with - and assists - a female police detective. Alan Tudyk, of course, was the voice and the motion behind the robot "Sonny" in Will Smith's I, Robot movie, and will soon
. Jewel Staite was most recently in the last seasons of Stargate Atlantis, which just ended its run.

EDIT: Understandably, Lindley beat me to it
Old March 25 2009, 06:52 AM   #51
rramarr
Commander

Ptrope and the rest - Did you guys see this:

Top 26 Great TV shows that got the quick hook

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20266883,00.html

Do you agree with where they placed Firefly?
Old March 25 2009, 07:04 AM   #52
RoJoHen
Awesome

^I haven't even heard of most of those shows!

One thing I will say that you might not know is that Firefly was the #1 seller on Amazon.com for a great many weeks back around the time Serenity was coming out. It stayed in the Top 10 for months.
Old March 25 2009, 07:26 AM   #53
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Ptrope wrote: View Post
Nathan Fillion is currently the lead in ABC's Castle series, a police procedural where he plays a mystery writer who tags along with - and assists - a female police detective. Alan Tudyk, of course, was the voice and the motion behind the robot "Sonny" in Will Smith's I, Robot movie, and will soon
. Jewel Staite was most recently in the last seasons of Stargate Atlantis, which just ended its run.

EDIT: Understandably, Lindley beat me to it
As a watcher of
, I am excited about this.

J.
Spike: [writing] Correction; Rainbow Dash is very jealous.
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2009, 07:47 AM   #54
rramarr
Commander

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
^I haven't even heard of most of those shows!

One thing I will say that you might not know is that Firefly was the #1 seller on Amazon.com for a great many weeks back around the time Serenity was coming out. It stayed in the Top 10 for months.
That's exactly what I thought about

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20266883,00.html

There was only two shows I may have wanted to see. Some of those shows may have deserved to have gotten the axe but we won't ever know because they were gone too fast to here any ads or comments. One thing I noticed is the cancelations were fairly even between each major network. Firefly was way too far down and I think Wonderfalls, Bryan Fuller - Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies writer, may have been underrated.
Old March 25 2009, 11:11 AM   #55
Super Grover
Vice Admiral

I think Firefly was the only Joss Whedon show that I could stand to watch.
Bobby "Oh, you mean like Chlamydia?"
Super Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2009, 02:20 PM   #56
jkladis

While I greatly enjoyed the series on DVD, it didn't grab me while it was on the air. I would contribute that to the theory of airing episodes out of order. Traditionally popular shows appeal to the masses when there's no need to know the back story. A risk that something like "Lost" won. Makes you wonder what would have happened if they skipped airing the pilot.
jkladis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2009, 03:49 PM   #57
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Super Grover wrote: View Post
I think Firefly was the only Joss Whedon show that I could stand to watch.
A common enough view from those who have uninformed conceptions of his earlier work.

It's not that different in style, humor, or awesomeness. Only subject matter.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2009, 05:10 PM   #58
stonester1
Rear Admiral

[quote=Ptrope;2753232]

And if the sci-fi fans couldn't wrap their minds around a concept that brought back the Old West on other worlds, then non-sci-fi viewers must've suffered a one-two punch: here was a Western show - already considered a 'dead' genre - but it had spaceships in it, too?? All the smart writing in the world isn't going to help when the viewer is suffering one of Sheldon Cooper's facial tic storms as he tries to figure that one out!
I agree, and it's an odd thing that many science fiction fans seem to be such a conservative, unimaginative bunch, it seems a bit counterintuitive. I would modify that to mean consumers of science fiction visual media, mostly TV, film and computer/video games. Any serious fan of science fiction literature will find a FAR greater range of ideas and concepts on full display.

Battlestar Galactica ran into many of the same problems, bucking accepted conventions, and had the double whammy of pissing off many of the original fans, many of who buy these conventions whole hog.

But when there is life, there is hope. Joss says he has much more ideas for the 'verse, and we are still out here, still fans, though the ardor of some has cooled.

If Serenity were to fly again, it's darn tootin' we would be there to fly with her.
Old March 25 2009, 05:31 PM   #59
Dr. Chandra
Captain

stonester1 wrote: View Post
If Serenity were to fly again, it's darn tootin' we would be there to fly with her.
I'd be there with (cow)bells on!
'The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure … America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.' - Senator Barack Obama, 2006
Dr. Chandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2009, 05:49 PM   #60
Forbin
Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
Also, if you haven't heard it yet....
http://www.cyphertext.net/escapekey/Mal_studio.mp3
1) Who performs it?
2) Where can I DL a copy?
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote