Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 22 2009, 05:45 AM   #76
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: Resident Evil 5

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
I guess I need to play the game before I can cheat then.
Well, you could duplicate any item but guns. It's the rotten eggs are the most valuable.
Old March 22 2009, 08:17 AM   #77
clint g
Admiral

well, ive just beaten the game for all its worth lol. Just beat it on Pro mode and did a speed run on easy, so I have 100 percent completion plus the infinite rocket launcher. My roommate and I did the speed run in less than 2 hours lol. All i really have left to do is get an S in all chapters so i can get the special wesker figure and ill be done
Old March 23 2009, 02:29 AM   #78
PresidentEvilX
Ensign

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PresidentEvilX

As one of the Resi Evil old guard, i detest the way the series has switched to the stupid over the top action orientated style since 4, 5 itself is playable but nothing like Resident Evil should be. I don't understand why the game is still classed as a survival horror, it's lost most of the things that made the game what it was, the feeling of isolation, scrounging for guns rather than buying them and the fantastic puzzle sequences have even bit the bullet.

Resident Evil without zombies is blasphemy (no, they're NOT zombies), hopefully Capcom will return back to the roots sooner or later, or even better, hopefully Shinji Mikami will be allowed to have some say in the development of future games, when he left, he took the essence of the series with him.

Most of the Resi newbies will love what 5 offers, a bloke with arms like tree trunks who can punch a blokes head off, but it's definately not for me.
PresidentEvilX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2009, 05:30 AM   #79
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I'm in agreement with you. I prefer the older style of the series and wish that they could make a return to that. Resident Evil games used to actually scare me, and actually make me think before I acted. Now they're just action games. Very very good action games, but still nowhere near the same kind of game that the series once was.
Old March 23 2009, 06:07 AM   #80
nx1701g
Admiral

Eh I like both.
Old March 24 2009, 11:43 PM   #81
Thrall
Commodore

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
I'm in agreement with you. I prefer the older style of the series and wish that they could make a return to that. Resident Evil games used to actually scare me, and actually make me think before I acted. Now they're just action games. Very very good action games, but still nowhere near the same kind of game that the series once was.
I agree about this one. If I had never played a Resident Evil game I'd think it was scary. I'd say this game is intense, not scary. Resident Evil 4 was so intense it was scary. There was some really freaky moments in that one. That opening scene alone, when the entire village attacks you, made me crap my myself.

So far I've played to the helicopter crash. It's a decent game. But I'd compare this one, so far anyway, to Resident Evil 3 to RE4's RE2. Both 2 and 4 were such innovations of gaming, such leaps and bounds ahead of it's predecessors, such achievements of the visual narrative, that the follow up just seemed like more of the same. Because, to me, it's just Resident Evil 4 with nicer graphics and a less creepy setting. Just goes to show that if you want a decent RE game, go with Chris and Jill. But if you want an amazing RE game, go with Leon and Claire.

Because if Leon's in it, then it's guaranteed to have Ada in it as well. Another plus in Leon's column.

I think it was good that they made the partner not nearly as annoying as they usually are in games. Most of the time, they're just there to be saved at the expense of fun, like Ashley who was the weakest part of RE4. Sheva can handle herself and doesn't need saving every 3 seconds, which is good. However they really needed more combat commands for her other then Cover(i.e. stand back and blow through all my handgun ammo like Chow Yun Fat) and Attack( i.e. run in like a maniac and get killed and waste all my shotgun ammo while you do it). Other then that I have no problem.

The inventory system is awful and makes me long for the simplicity of the magically connecting trunks in the save room. Only being able to access your inventory after a section is so frustrating. Combined with the autosave, where if you screw up you can't go back to a previous save and correct it, it's enough to make one give up on the game. I don't know why some people seem to like it.
Old March 25 2009, 04:55 AM   #82
clint g
Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Eh I like both.
Seconded. I've been playing Resident Evil since the original came out on the PS1 (I'm talking about the pre-dual shcock, pre directors cut version). While I kiss the puzzle solving aspect of the franchise, There is no doubt in my mind that the gameplay and controlls needed to evolve in order for the franchise to remain relelvant. The old way of playing the games just wouldnt cut it today. Now I would like for them to tap into some of the old aspects that made RE special (such as theexploration) but lets not abandon the good that has come from the change
Old March 25 2009, 05:02 AM   #83
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Thrall wrote: View Post
Just goes to show that if you want a decent RE game, go with Chris and Jill. But if you want an amazing RE game, go with Leon and Claire.
I have to slightly disagree. The remake of the first game for the Gamecube is also amazing, so that logic doesn't exactly hold up.
Old March 25 2009, 05:10 AM   #84
Thrall
Commodore

Just goes to show that if you want a decent RE game, go with Chris and Jill. But if you want an amazing RE game, go with Leon and Claire.
I have to slightly disagree. The remake of the first game for the Gamecube is also amazing, so that logic doesn't exactly hold up.

Ok, you got me there. But Leon has Ada, so that's still a plus by my book.
Old March 25 2009, 05:12 AM   #85
nx1701g
Admiral

Most of the time, they're just there to be saved at the expense of fun, like Ashley who was the weakest part of RE4. Sheva can handle herself and doesn't need saving every 3 seconds, which is good.
Yeah. I hated the Castle levels of RE4 - especially the level where she had to be saved and the cultists just kept coming.
Old March 25 2009, 06:38 AM   #86
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Not to mention that Code Veronica is decent and it has Claire. But it also has Chris so they should average out to very good. Ok, I'll shut up.
Old March 25 2009, 07:58 AM   #87
Thrall
Commodore

Not to mention that Code Veronica is decent and it has Claire. But it also has Chris so they should average out to very good. Ok, I'll shut up.
True, but honestly the game didn't start to pick up until Chris showed up.
Old March 25 2009, 12:08 PM   #88
Cky
Captain

To date, I've played almost every Resident Evil game that has been released (with the exception of Resident Evil 1.5), and I must say, if Capcom wanted to make one last great game in the Resident Evil franchise, they needed to keep some things from previous games.

I remember the first time I played Resident Evil 1 on the PS1, I was about 8 years old and played it around my sisters house with her boyfriend, and it scared the shit out of me. The Resident Evil games that have been released now, don't scare me so much anymore, but then again I'm 21 now, and my tolerence for horror games and films has gone right up because I played Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3 at such a young age.

But when it comes to change, I would honestly rather play alone than have a CPU partner with me, it's a good idea, but I just like getting things done on my own and not have to worry if she's running near a barrell I want to explode and I haven't come to a checkpoint in a while.

Also the typewriters, why take them away? It still worked in Resident Evil 4, it worked in every other Resident Evil game, why not this one? I prefered playing the game and saving whenever I wanted to, I like having a challenge in a Resident Evil game of not saving through the entire game (although granted, Resident Evil 5 has A LOT of 1 hit kill monsters which can be frustrating). The same with the inventory system from Resident Evil 4 was revolutionary and I thought if anything they would want to keep that as much as they could, they could have still assigned the D-pad to work with what they wanted, albeit it would have been slighty different.

Also, I know it's slightly petty, but where/who the hell am I selling all these artifacts and buying weapons from? Atleast RE4 explained this (in a very comical style).

Lol, it's off topic slightly, but at the very end of the game when Jill looks at Chris when before he says it was worth saving, doesn't she look fuck ugly? I mean jesus she was fit in the third game, and had some bags under her eyes in the remake of 1, but she just looks horrid in this game.
Old March 25 2009, 12:20 PM   #89
clint g
Admiral

Cky wrote: View Post
Lol, it's off topic slightly, but at the very end of the game when Jill looks at Chris when before he says it was worth saving, doesn't she look fuck ugly? I mean jesus she was fit in the third game, and had some bags under her eyes in the remake of 1, but she just looks horrid in this game.
I sort of atribute that to the condition she was under just prior to you seeing her. She looked fine in the flashbacks so it was probably the

spoilers

mind control device that made her look pale and sickly. [She did still have a fit body though
Old March 25 2009, 02:20 PM   #90
Cky
Captain

She did yeah, but your spoiler tags didn't work :P