Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old March 22 2009, 05:46 PM   #76
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: if Chakotay doesn't have a last name, when he gets married...

After enough people here call you crazy and full of it and irrational and unbalanced, it helps.

The last 5 times there has been an equinox argument I've found myself putting the old vhs tv recording into the rundown machine to find the evidence necessary to prove who was the psychotic tyrant and who was just trying to make it one day at a time.

It's exhausting.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2009, 02:23 PM   #77
belle paris
Lieutenant

In "Workforce", it was explained that Chakotay would have to go undercover (new name/face) because the authorities had already spoken to him and would've recognized him.
EMH: Commander, you've spoken directly with several government officials. You could be recognised. CHAKOTAY: Isn't reconstructive surgery one of your specialties?
Old March 23 2009, 08:59 PM   #78
NathanielM
Captain

kimc wrote: View Post
NathanielM wrote: View Post
Chakotay, if his name is FRED, that is Sooo uh... GAY...
I think Fred is an awesome name. Fred Astaire, Fred Weasley, Fred Flintstone, etc.

However, this seems to be a thread less about names and more about words so I have an idea. We all come from a wide variety of cultures, backgrounds, jam preferences, etc. If somone says a word like "yanno" or "gay" or "pickles" and you're not sure if the intent is to be insulting or not why not a simple "What did you mean by that?" It could be they meant nothing by it and if it turns out they did then we can go from there.

Now back to my Saturday afternoon nap.
I didn't mean to seem like a Bigot... I am not one at all.

Also keep in mind those names, Fred Astair, Fred Flintstone... etc... are ALL caucasian (WHITE People) NOT Native Americans.

Chakotay is Native American... One thing to know, they are very very proud people... A VERY traditional culture and people... I live in AZ, nd there are many Native Americans in the culture down here in the SW.
if you would call a Native American a white person... he would be a bit offended. AKA kick the hell out of ya. LOLOLOL

Even in the TREK universe I would think it would adhere to the keeping of the trandtions of families, nations and cultures. Ones that are handed down generation after generations, like the Native American Culture has done even now... I pray that we never forget who we are... The writers kinda moved away from that Roddenberry Envision... All races all nations and all people as one... Exploring space.

Also being an Amatuer writer, I have written articles on the people... It is very interesting to speak with Native American Elders and the people... has done this many times... their stories and traditions are very fascinating (ack used Mr. Spock term)

I myself am 1/16 Chikosaw Indian (arkansas) because of family roots. I embrace my heritage and the Native American in me...

The name FRED is like Tonto's first name being Bob, Ralph, Charles, etc.. The name Fred just doesn't work for me.

The others are good names tho... if you are any other nationality. Don't get me wrong here.

Pop Culture at work!

Nathaniel

Last edited by NathanielM; March 23 2009 at 09:15 PM.
NathanielM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2009, 10:38 PM   #79
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

What do you mean Fred Flintsone wasn't native American?

The guy was living in America 65 million years ago? How can you get much more native than that? Hell even if America was part of Pangaea at that point, so then obviously every one was American, French, Botswanaian and everything else simultaneously

One would assume that Fred's descendants would either evolve into native American type looking native Americans over the next 65 million years (Yes, Homo sapiens are only at most 400,000 years old, but hush.) or they immigrated off to some place in Europe to eventually be Italian or Greek.

Although this lark, it's not too different from the staple of the Mormon faith being that Jews, white, blond, blue eyed Jews, conquered North America 600 years before the birth of Christ and ruled over the native Americans like benevolent caretakers with Jesus after his resurrection for a thousand years.

Old March 24 2009, 06:09 AM   #80
NathanielM
Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
What do you mean Fred Flintsone wasn't native American?

The guy was living in America 65 million years ago? How can you get much more native than that? Hell even if America was part of Pangaea at that point, so then obviously every one was American, French, Botswanaian and everything else simultaneously

One would assume that Fred's descendants would either evolve into native American type looking native Americans over the next 65 million years (Yes, Homo sapiens are only at most 400,000 years old, but hush.) or they immigrated off to some place in Europe to eventually be Italian or Greek.

Although this lark, it's not too different from the staple of the Mormon faith being that Jews, white, blond, blue eyed Jews, conquered North America 600 years before the birth of Christ and ruled over the native Americans like benevolent caretakers with Jesus after his resurrection for a thousand years.
I don't think that counts real civilizations startd truely well close to 2 - 3000bc or so with Greece and Rome... the ancient civilizations.

As for mormons, its all heresay and unfortunately they are full of themselves most of the time for their history, and deny alot of things already proven by science... also the murder and butchery of other people who were of other faiths... If i were you I wouldn't listen to the book of mormon too much... its the beliefs of sections of the bible they want to hear and removed everything else they didn't like... Homigination of the Bible which shouldn't be acceptable. Nothing more than hipocrites liars and murderers second to catholic religion... yep the one who started the inquisition, the crusades and are thieves, now child molestors... how nice!

Fred Flintstone, the cromagnon really were more individuals althought they spent alot of the time in family groups, mostly to protect themseves from predatory animals. I wouldn't think they built cities like modern civilizations, they were alot of the time wanderers.

Response is In my opinion of course. I am not a very religious man although I believe in god and all that. Never really followed any religion much either. sorry if i seem offended by the Mormon Belief.

A bunch of bigomists... and child molestors too...

Nathaniel
NathanielM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 06:33 AM   #81
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

There's nothing wrong with consensual bigamy, but the rest sounds about right.

Fred and Barney might look Cromagnon, but Betty and Wilma most certainly seem homosapien from their appearance.

In Doctor who they had a Dinosaur Civilization coming out of cold storage in modern day all the time who thought of man as something between a game animal and vermin, but the Voth missed us entirely even if it would have been interesting to see a John Goodman Movie Flintsons meets Star trek's the Voth and Voyagers Crew: The Movie.

Althoguh sadly that might float Halee Berry new work.

That woman just needs to be evicted from decent ordinairy peoples goings on.

Old March 24 2009, 07:08 AM   #82
jenny S
Ensign

personally, i'd rather take the name as a symbol.but truely,the surname can show the tie among families,i prefer to take it as granted and appreciate it as a gift from my families.
Old March 24 2009, 07:24 AM   #83
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

What name? He doesn't have a name to give her.

Old March 24 2009, 11:51 AM   #84
Brit
Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
What name? He doesn't have a name to give her.
How do we know that he doesn't have some secret tribal name to give. There could be a ceremony where he paints tribal symbols on her back, or some kind of tribal charm he gives to her.

Oh wait, that's fan fiction. I do believe I wrote both of those scenarios at different times, and one of them again in an unfinished fic.

The secret whispered tribal name has been used more than once by other authors. It's occurred to many fic writers.

Brit

Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 04:03 PM   #85
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You're thinking of Dune among other lores.

In the one with Nog dressed up as a space street kid gangbanger he was talking to the universe and his ancestors.

What an odd point to take a reefer break.

Old March 24 2009, 10:14 PM   #86
Gorf
Commander

Brit wrote: View Post
...and one of them again in an unfinished fic.
Did I hear the words 'unfinished fic'?
Hmm.... Must do something about that. *huggles*
Old March 24 2009, 11:44 PM   #87
belle paris
Lieutenant

There's nothing wrong with "Fred". He could've been named after a family friend, a special location or his mom just liked the name. Here in Canada, most Native Americans are Metis or related to Metis and naming a kid Fred wouldn't raise any eyebrows.
Old March 25 2009, 12:32 AM   #88
Brit
Captain

Gorf wrote: View Post
What if I told you I have over 20 thousand words right now.

Brit

Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2009, 03:54 AM   #89
kimc
Coffee Mod

Gorf wrote: View Post
What if I told you I have over 20 thousand words right now.

Brit
I'd tell you keep writing and post asap.

kimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2009, 01:14 PM   #90
USS Renegade
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to USS Renegade

Tachyon wrote: View Post
Or perhaps Chakotay's "full name" is Chakotay Son Of Kolpak. In this case his son's name would be, for instance, Clyde Son Of Chakotay.

Seven was not too fond of her given name, so perhaps her name remained as Seven Of Nine when she would have married Chakotay.
To symbolize their union he would become Chakotay of Nine, and she would become Seven of Two.