Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old March 24 2009, 04:22 AM   #16
kitsune
Captain

Re: Excelsior Technical Manual - Revived!

Praetor wrote: View Post
Oh, what the hell. Next chapter.
I think it would be good if you mentioned the Japanese design aesthetic that Bill George said he used when designing the Excelsior class.

Additionally, the intermix chamber was moved to a vertical orientation
Wouldn't it be more meaningful to say that the matter and anti-matter injectors were arranged vertically? (I consider the intermix chamber to be the actual reaction chamber, whose orientation is more or less irrelevant.)
kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 04:35 AM   #17
Praetor
Vice Admiral

kitsune wrote: View Post
Oh, what the hell. Next chapter.
I think it would be good if you mentioned the Japanese design aesthetic that Bill George said he used when designing the Excelsior class.
Well, that was actually my intent by having the head designer actually be Japanese. I'll revise to make it a little more clear.

Additionally, the intermix chamber was moved to a vertical orientation
Wouldn't it be more meaningful to say that the matter and anti-matter injectors were arranged vertically? (I consider the intermix chamber to be the actual reaction chamber, whose orientation is more or less irrelevant.)
Well, I was actually referring the intermix chamber itself, particularly because the prior prototypes (which I am actually referencing the study models commissioned for STIII) would have had to have a horizontal intermix chamber. But the technical portion will make clear that they are arranged the way you describe. I'll rephrase here too to make it a bit more clear.

There, try that.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 04:44 AM   #18
kitsune
Captain

I'll rephrase here too to make it a bit more clear.

There, try that.
Yay
Old March 24 2009, 05:09 AM   #19
EmperorTiberius
Captain

I'm an idiot when it comes to designs. What exactly is Japanese about the Excelsior? Is it the neck?
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 05:43 AM   #20
kitsune
Captain

EmperorTiberius wrote: View Post
I'm an idiot when it comes to designs. What exactly is Japanese about the Excelsior? Is it the neck?
Excerpt from the Bill George interview on disc 2 of the Star Trek III Special Collector's Edition:

...At the time I was really into Japanese art, especially industrial design...and so the concept I came up with was: what if the Japanese had designed the Enterprise? And so I took the basic layout of the Enterprise and tried to apply a Japanese aesthetic, and it was industrial design from the 80's where everything was getting abbreviated and simplified. And if you look at the dish especially it's much sleeker and more angular...and the neck is thicker and broader, and is more like a fin, like a heat sink, and there's this repetitive detail in it. It's hard to say, like, "Oh, it was based on this exact design." It was more an overall aesthetic. We presented them all to Leonard and ultimately he went, "That one." and it was the Japanese version.
Old March 24 2009, 06:17 AM   #21
Praetor
Vice Admiral

...Which has always been the thing I liked about it. I just didn't understand why for a long time.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old March 24 2009, 03:31 PM   #22
EmperorTiberius
Captain

kitsune wrote: View Post
EmperorTiberius wrote: View Post
Excerpt from the Bill George interview on disc 2 of the Star Trek III Special Collector's Edition:

...At the time I was really into Japanese art, especially industrial design...and so the concept I came up with was: what if the Japanese had designed the Enterprise? And so I took the basic layout of the Enterprise and tried to apply a Japanese aesthetic, and it was industrial design from the 80's where everything was getting abbreviated and simplified. And if you look at the dish especially it's much sleeker and more angular...and the neck is thicker and broader, and is more like a fin, like a heat sink, and there's this repetitive detail in it. It's hard to say, like, "Oh, it was based on this exact design." It was more an overall aesthetic. We presented them all to Leonard and ultimately he went, "That one." and it was the Japanese version.
great. Thanks for finding that for me.
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 05:20 PM   #23
Cid Highwind
Fleet Captain

Re: "square parsecs" etc. - somehow, the whole quote didn't survive

I think I lifted that figure from the 'Starship Spotter' book. What do you suggest instead?
That description pulled me out of an otherwise good read, too. What I'd suggest would be either

"...had increased the volume of known space by a good million(*) of cubic parsecs."

or

"...had increased the volume of known space by hundreds(*) of sectors."

or

"...had shifted the borders of known space by dozens(*) of parsecs in all directions."

(*) - exact figure would depend on your personal model of Federation space. Just for comparison, a volume of 1 million parsec^3 would be a cube with a side length of 100 parsec and correspond to ~4300 sectors of 20^3 lightyears each.
Old March 24 2009, 06:03 PM   #24
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I shall go with the second. Thank you!

Anybody want the next chapter (4 - Construction) yet?
Old March 24 2009, 06:55 PM   #25
kitsune
Captain

I think the TNG Tech Manual used cubic light-years instead of cubic parsecs.

I always hated the parsec because it's akin to using feet and inches in an otherwise metric world.
Old March 24 2009, 07:27 PM   #26
Praetor
Vice Admiral

That might be a better alternative.

'Cubic light years'... Hm. I'll think on that between now and my next post.

How does this compromise work for everyone?

The Constitution was a proven design, as all but two of the original 2240s production line were still in service, and during their careers had increased the volume of known space by thousands of cubic light years, adding detailed maps of hundreds of sectors to Federation star charts.
Old March 24 2009, 08:46 PM   #27
sojourner
Admiral

HI,
Great writeup so far of my favorite ship class. Just one small comment. Chapter one, paragraph one, sentence five.

"her comparably shining safety record"

Doesn't ring true for me. It sounds like something an OSHA representative would say at the union meeting. The red shirts on board would probably laugh at the statement as well.

Maybe change it so something like:

"her knack for survival"

or

"her penchant for beating the odds"

Just a suggestion. thanks.
Old March 24 2009, 09:02 PM   #28
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

Praetor,

I don't know if this has been asked yet, but are you going to mention the speed measure of "rigiknots", as was stated in TUC? I know a lot of people didn't like that term, but I thought it was a nice touch and nod to nautical heritage.
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 09:29 PM   #29
Cid Highwind
Fleet Captain

The Constitution was a proven design, as all but two of the original 2240s production line were still in service, and during their careers had increased the volume of known space by thousands of cubic light years, adding detailed maps of hundreds of sectors to Federation star charts.
One single sector (again assuming a side length of 20 light years) would already contain 8000 cubic light years, so the two numbers you gave don't exactly match. Replace "thousands" with "millions", and I think you're good to go.

Other than that, keep the chapters coming!
Old March 25 2009, 02:03 AM   #30
Praetor
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
HI,
Great writeup so far of my favorite ship class. Just one small comment. Chapter one, paragraph one, sentence five.

"her comparably shining safety record"

Doesn't ring true for me. It sounds like something an OSHA representative would say at the union meeting. The red shirts on board would probably laugh at the statement as well.

Maybe change it so something like:

"her knack for survival"

or

"her penchant for beating the odds"

Just a suggestion. thanks.
Well, it was meant as somewhat ironic, but I see what you mean. I shall choose the latter. Thanks.

BolianAdmiral wrote: View Post
Praetor,

I don't know if this has been asked yet, but are you going to mention the speed measure of "rigiknots", as was stated in TUC? I know a lot of people didn't like that term, but I thought it was a nice touch and nod to nautical heritage.
Where in TUC was that mentioned? I never caught it. I tried a Google search and couldn't find it. If you can explain, I'll try to work it in.

Cid Highwind wrote: View Post

One single sector (again assuming a side length of 20 light years) would already contain 8000 cubic light years, so the two numbers you gave don't exactly match. Replace "thousands" with "millions", and I think you're good to go.

Other than that, keep the chapters coming!
Done and done. Thanks!

Here's the next chapter. It may be a bit more controversial than the previous chapters, or at least may generate more responses/suggestions.

Chapter Four - Construction

In 2275, construction orders for NX-2000 were issued, and given the name Excelsior by Morrow both after the transwarp group’s name and after a Constitution-class ship of the same name that had been lost. Estimates suggested that testing and construction would take around a decade. Meanwhile, for his involvement in making transwarp and the Excelsior project a reality, now-Fleet Admiral Morrow was appointed Starfleet CinC. Using the Excelsior project as leverage, Morrow appeared to have maneuvered himself into the perfect position to ascend as his former mentor's replacement.

Later that year, Excelsior’s first keel plate was laid at a special ceremony on Earth at Construction Building Five in San Francisco. A smiling Admiral Morrow made the first gamma-weld on the piece of tritanium that would later hold the ship’s ventral phaser arrays. In Earth orbit, a massive new dry dock facility in excess of 500 meters long was being built for the assembly of Excelsior’s components. Morrow and his Starfleet colleagues were thoroughly pleased with the positive PR that was coming from the new Excelsior’s construction. The Federation News Service left messages almost daily at the respective offices of Morrow and Tokogawa asking about the Excelsior project. Both remained coy as to the exact nature of the project.

Construction proceeded at a feverish pace. By 2277, the hull spaceframe had begun to take shape in the recently completed Dry Dock Seven facility. Morrow and Tokogawa reportedly mused together at the “Lucky Seven” designation the new dry dock was given. Several design flaws in late simulations meanwhile led to complete redesign of several key systems. As these refinements to the ship’s about-to-be-installed systems were made, the public and the Federation News Service grew more and more curious, which was exactly what Morrow wanted.

In 2278, the refit Enterprise was about to return from her second five-year mission under James T. Kirk. Commander Montgomery Scott’s aid was solicited for Excelsior. Dr. Tokogawa sought to have him added to the design and construction that was underway. Dr. Wesley was very hesitant of seeking Scott’s counsel, but Tokogawa overruled him. Mr. Scott was invited to examine the Transwarp Development Team’s work and offer recommendations, in the hope that he would want to join the project. By all accounts, Scott earnestly reviewed their work, though his recommendations were less than encouraging. Having seen firsthand the effects of interphase-level subspace distortion aboard Enterprise firsthand, Scott was skeptical of what he termed the team’s “trying to break the laws of physics.” Scott had long been a champion of conventional warp technology, and was convinced that only through its advancement was superior FTL travel possible. From his own official report, regarding his opinion of the Transwarp Development Project:

“It is my professional opinion that the Transwarp Development Project currently underway is doomed to failure. At this time we do not possess… sufficient understanding of subspace field interaction to fully comprehend what effects this level of warp field produced on a vessel, its occupants, and indeed the fabric of space itself… Flirting with catastrophe of this calibre is quite simply a portrait of arrogance…”

Scott had thus succinctly and dramatically declined a position on the team and presented dire warnings backed by years of experience. Dr. Wesley was both furious and disheartened. He was sure Scott was shortsighted in his views, but also knew that Scott’s opinion represented the opinion of many Starfleet engineers and admirals. He feared that this was a dark omen for his transwarp engine. Scott continued aboard Enterprise, remaining with her after the ship returned from her five year mission and entered service as a training ship attached to Starfleet Academy. His opinions were gone, but not forgotten.

In late 2279, Morrow finally issued an explanation of the Excelsior project to the public. He announced that U.S.S. Excelsior was the first of a bold new line of starships that would fulfill the needs of an ever-changing universe, and serve as a revolutionary new platform for exploration and defense. He also cryptically mentioned the ship’s new transwarp drive, which he stated would represent a quantum leap beyond existing faster than light propulsion. The public was very intrigued by Morrow's compliments. Some were very excited by the possibilities this new transwarp drive could present, while others were cautious to embrace this new ship. For their parts, the Klingons and Romulans instantly launched secret intelligence campaigns dedicated to unlocking the secrets of the Federation’s new supership. Both their efforts would prove surprisingly unsuccessful.

In early 2284, James T. Kirk returned from a premature retirement from Starfleet, possibly with the intention of commanding another mission of exploration, probably aboard the Enterprise. Admiral Morrow was very conscious of Enterprise’s potential to overshadow Excelsior, and lobbied to make sure Enterprise remain a training ship. As the foremost member of the Constitution class, Enterprise could, in a prominent position, pose the most serious threat to the success of the new class; as a trainer, she could quietly and gradually slip from the limelight into mothballs without the public outcry of being broken up.

By 2285, Excelsior was mostly finished, slightly ahead of schedule. She was launched on thruster power for her initial space-worthiness testing with an ASDB flight test crew. Initial test results were complete, and all ship systems passed Level Four review tests on the Earth-Jupiter run, except for transwarp drive. The transwarp intermix chamber was brought to full power, but there were unusual subspace fluctuations being detected in the magnetic constriction assemblies. Morrow, Tokogawa, and Wesley were privately unnerved by this, but publicly remained optimistic, and hoped that given more time the ship’s initial transwarp difficulties would be ironed out. Prior test ship flights with the transwarp engine design had proved no more successful, but still the ambitious individuals largely responsible for the project's momentum pushed onward. Excelsior returned to dry dock for final fitting out, including thermocoat painting and striping, to be followed by her commissioning ceremony.