Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 24 2009, 07:20 AM   #16
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Firefly - Joss Whedon

B5 and DS9 weren't really canceled. B5 thought it was canceled and then got an extra season. DS9 got a full 7 seasons and got to finish on its own terms.

Farscape, however, was definitely canceled.
Old March 24 2009, 07:21 AM   #17
rramarr
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to rramarr

Man you guys are quick draw McCalls LOL

Its just odd to cancel something in the middle of the season and not greenlight all the shows then pull the plug for next season.

Do you think westernizing the space concept was a benefit or part of the demise?
Old March 24 2009, 07:27 AM   #18
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

rramarr wrote: View Post

Its just odd to cancel something in the middle of the season and not greenlight all the shows then pull the plug for next season.

Do you think westernizing the space concept was a benefit or part of the demise?
I think it was brilliant. I'm not a westerns fan, but there's something very attractive about Whedon's approach with Firefly. I love it, and would have happily watched it much longer than it's single season.

J.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 07:29 AM   #19
rramarr
Commander

Serenity was a firefly-class space vessel. Was that apparent while watching the show. It was not till much later when I realized the ship was not called firefly.

Do you think there is some lost episodes? I can't believe they stopped at 14 (I think).
Old March 24 2009, 07:32 AM   #20
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

14 is it. "Trash", "Heart of Gold" and I wanna say "The Message" might have been the last one were the "lost" episodes but they've long since seen the light of day on DVD. So if you've seen all those plus Serenity, that's pretty much it excepting the comics.
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 07:32 AM   #21
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Serenity was a firefly-class space vessel. Was that apparent while watching the show. It was not till much later when I realized the ship was not called firefly.
Yeah, I had that one down by the end of the first episode, but it was confusing for a while.

Do you think there is some lost episodes? I can't believe they stopped at 14 (I think).
I've got the series box set. Joss said he included every episode, including unaired episodes, on that set.

J.

Old March 24 2009, 07:56 AM   #22
rramarr
Commander

Yeah it would have been on a bonus disc or something by now. However, I don't know if it was on browncoats.com or some where else, but there is a rumor about a possible serenity II movie. Maybe just a rumor..

I can't think of the characters name but I really like that character who played the assassin that came after Malcom.

Anyway what started me to thinking about firefly is:

Are you guys excited that Morena Baccarin will be casted on the upcoming V remake?
Old March 24 2009, 08:14 AM   #23
Santa Claus
Believe

Yeah it would have been on a bonus disc or something by now. However, I don't know if it was on browncoats.com or some where else, but there is a rumor about a possible serenity II movie. Maybe just a rumor..

I can't think of the characters name but I really like that character who played the assassin that came after Malcom.

Anyway what started me to thinking about firefly is:

Are you guys excited that Morena Baccarin will be casted on the upcoming V remake?
She's suited for it.
As for a Serenity II, it won't happen. We can dream, but it won't happen.

J.

Old March 24 2009, 09:09 AM   #24
RoJoHen
Awesome

[quote=rramarr;2749311]Yeah it would have been on a bonus disc or something by now. However, I don't know if it was on browncoats.com or some where else, but there is a rumor about a possible serenity II movie. Maybe just a rumor../quote]
Not to sound all high and mighty, but you're a few years behind on your rumors.

Much as we would love it to happen, the Firefly 'Verse is done on film. There are still comics, but without the awesome actors behind them, they kind of fall flat.
Old March 24 2009, 12:14 PM   #25
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

There is one additional script floating around.....
http://www.whedon.info/article.php3?id_article=8136

The concept is probably a precursor to what became "The Message", so it's not clear if this would have been made or is merely an early revision that would never see the light, but it's interesting reading anyway.

Also, if you haven't heard it yet....
http://www.cyphertext.net/escapekey/Mal_studio.mp3
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 12:23 PM   #26
MNM
Captain

Actually those (Enterprise and Andromeda) were much later cancellations but Babylon 5 and DS9 were cancaelled. Andromeda and Enterprise just didn't make it very long either. The only bright side was Farscape.
Andromeda got five seasons, that's hardly short.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 12:58 PM   #27
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Yeah, but that's not really an example of triumph of quality, is it?
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 03:47 PM   #28
Neroon
Mod of balance

You know I did a search to avoid just that very thing and came up with very obscure info. Maybe if there was a major Thread I could have read some thought already discussed. Did I over look something? I have lot to say about the show (mostly because I'm tired of discussing the same shows already dominating this forum) but I want to have an official Thread to post in - you know those header threads in bold. I want to reach the right people. till then... what's your thoughts on why the show was cancelled
In order to not put too much stress on the servers, the number of results from a given Search is limited to 100. That might have affected what you received, depending on what input parameters you used.
Old March 24 2009, 04:13 PM   #29
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post

I think it was brilliant. I'm not a westerns fan, but there's something very attractive about Whedon's approach with Firefly. I love it, and would have happily watched it much longer than it's single season.

J.
That's not what he asked. He asked if the approach helped it or hurt it's chances of success, not whether or not you liked it. I would argue it hurt it's chances.

I don't find it very productive to ask Firefly fans (or fans of anything) why the show (or whatever) was cancelled. To them, everything was perfect and it was all the network, exterior circumstances, etc. It's fine if people loved the show, I just don't think those are necessarily the people you want to ask about it's faults and the reasons why people didn't watch it.

Believe it or not, I know people who watched the entire series and don't like it, wouldn't watch it again. I know people who watched the first few episodes on TV and then never watched again. It wasn't because of scheduling, they knew nothing of behind the scenes politics, they simply didn't like the show, the characters, the themes, whatever. I'm one of these people, so shoot me.
Old March 24 2009, 04:24 PM   #30
Mistral
Vice Admiral

FordSVT wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post

J.

That's not what he asked. He asked if the approach helped it or hurt it's chances of success, not whether or not you liked it. I would argue it hurt it's chances.

I don't find it very productive to ask Firefly fans (or fans of anything) why the show (or whatever) was cancelled. To them, everything was perfect and it was all the network, exterior circumstances, etc. It's fine if people loved the show, I just don't think those are necessarily the people you want to ask about it's faults and the reasons why people didn't watch it.

Believe it or not, I know people who watched the entire series and don't like it, wouldn't watch it again. I know people who watched the first few episodes on TV and then never watched again. It wasn't because of scheduling, they knew nothing of behind the scenes politics, they simply didn't like the show, the characters, the themes, whatever. I'm one of these people, so shoot me.

Bullet coming, please stand by.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote