RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,714
Posts: 5,214,347
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 884
Newest member: Farside89


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 24 2009, 07:20 AM   #16
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Firefly - Joss Whedon

B5 and DS9 weren't really canceled. B5 thought it was canceled and then got an extra season. DS9 got a full 7 seasons and got to finish on its own terms.

Farscape, however, was definitely canceled.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 07:21 AM   #17
rramarr
Commander
 
rramarr's Avatar
 
Location: In dark matter
Send a message via ICQ to rramarr
Re: Firefly - Joss Whedon

Man you guys are quick draw McCalls LOL

Its just odd to cancel something in the middle of the season and not greenlight all the shows then pull the plug for next season.

Do you think westernizing the space concept was a benefit or part of the demise?
__________________
"I see no reason to enlighten you." - Tuvok, ST: Voyager.
rramarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 07:27 AM   #18
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Firefly - Joss Whedon

rramarr wrote: View Post
Man you guys are quick draw McCalls LOL

Its just odd to cancel something in the middle of the season and not greenlight all the shows then pull the plug for next season.

Do you think westernizing the space concept was a benefit or part of the demise?
I think it was brilliant. I'm not a westerns fan, but there's something very attractive about Whedon's approach with Firefly. I love it, and would have happily watched it much longer than it's single season.

J.
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom, where all of your wildest dreams will come true.
:: :: ::

-= All fantasy teaches me is that reality sucks. =-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 07:29 AM   #19
rramarr
Commander
 
rramarr's Avatar
 
Location: In dark matter
Send a message via ICQ to rramarr
Re: Firefly - Joss Whedon

Serenity was a firefly-class space vessel. Was that apparent while watching the show. It was not till much later when I realized the ship was not called firefly.

Do you think there is some lost episodes? I can't believe they stopped at 14 (I think).
__________________
"I see no reason to enlighten you." - Tuvok, ST: Voyager.
rramarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 07:32 AM   #20
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral
 
DeafPoet's Avatar
 
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Re: Firefly - Joss Whedon

14 is it. "Trash", "Heart of Gold" and I wanna say "The Message" might have been the last one were the "lost" episodes but they've long since seen the light of day on DVD. So if you've seen all those plus Serenity, that's pretty much it excepting the comics.
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 07:32 AM   #21
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Firefly - Joss Whedon

rramarr wrote: View Post
Serenity was a firefly-class space vessel. Was that apparent while watching the show. It was not till much later when I realized the ship was not called firefly.
Yeah, I had that one down by the end of the first episode, but it was confusing for a while.

Do you think there is some lost episodes? I can't believe they stopped at 14 (I think).
I've got the series box set. Joss said he included every episode, including unaired episodes, on that set.

J.
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom, where all of your wildest dreams will come true.
:: :: ::

-= All fantasy teaches me is that reality sucks. =-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 07:56 AM   #22
rramarr
Commander
 
rramarr's Avatar
 
Location: In dark matter
Send a message via ICQ to rramarr
Re: Firefly - Joss Whedon

Yeah it would have been on a bonus disc or something by now. However, I don't know if it was on browncoats.com or some where else, but there is a rumor about a possible serenity II movie. Maybe just a rumor..

I can't think of the characters name but I really like that character who played the assassin that came after Malcom.

Anyway what started me to thinking about firefly is:

Are you guys excited that Morena Baccarin will be casted on the upcoming V remake?
__________________
"I see no reason to enlighten you." - Tuvok, ST: Voyager.
rramarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 08:14 AM   #23
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Firefly - Joss Whedon

rramarr wrote: View Post
Yeah it would have been on a bonus disc or something by now. However, I don't know if it was on browncoats.com or some where else, but there is a rumor about a possible serenity II movie. Maybe just a rumor..

I can't think of the characters name but I really like that character who played the assassin that came after Malcom.

Anyway what started me to thinking about firefly is:

Are you guys excited that Morena Baccarin will be casted on the upcoming V remake?
She's suited for it.
As for a Serenity II, it won't happen. We can dream, but it won't happen.


J.
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom, where all of your wildest dreams will come true.
:: :: ::

-= All fantasy teaches me is that reality sucks. =-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 09:09 AM   #24
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Firefly - Joss Whedon

[quote=rramarr;2749311]Yeah it would have been on a bonus disc or something by now. However, I don't know if it was on browncoats.com or some where else, but there is a rumor about a possible serenity II movie. Maybe just a rumor../quote]
Not to sound all high and mighty, but you're a few years behind on your rumors.

Much as we would love it to happen, the Firefly 'Verse is done on film. There are still comics, but without the awesome actors behind them, they kind of fall flat.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 12:14 PM   #25
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: Firefly - Joss Whedon

There is one additional script floating around.....
http://www.whedon.info/article.php3?id_article=8136

The concept is probably a precursor to what became "The Message", so it's not clear if this would have been made or is merely an early revision that would never see the light, but it's interesting reading anyway.

Also, if you haven't heard it yet....
http://www.cyphertext.net/escapekey/Mal_studio.mp3
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 12:23 PM   #26
MNM
Captain
 
Re: Firefly - Joss Whedon

rramarr wrote: View Post
Actually those (Enterprise and Andromeda) were much later cancellations but Babylon 5 and DS9 were cancaelled. Andromeda and Enterprise just didn't make it very long either. The only bright side was Farscape.
Andromeda got five seasons, that's hardly short.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 12:58 PM   #27
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: Firefly - Joss Whedon

Yeah, but that's not really an example of triumph of quality, is it?
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 03:47 PM   #28
Neroon
Mod of balance
 
Neroon's Avatar
 
Location: On my ship the Rocinante
Re: Firefly - Joss Whedon

rramarr wrote: View Post
You know I did a search to avoid just that very thing and came up with very obscure info. Maybe if there was a major Thread I could have read some thought already discussed. Did I over look something? I have lot to say about the show (mostly because I'm tired of discussing the same shows already dominating this forum) but I want to have an official Thread to post in - you know those header threads in bold. I want to reach the right people. till then... what's your thoughts on why the show was cancelled
In order to not put too much stress on the servers, the number of results from a given Search is limited to 100. That might have affected what you received, depending on what input parameters you used.
__________________
"Those who promote peace have joy."
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 04:13 PM   #29
FordSVT
Vice Admiral
 
FordSVT's Avatar
 
Location: Atlantic Canada
Re: Firefly - Joss Whedon

J. Allen wrote: View Post
rramarr wrote: View Post
Man you guys are quick draw McCalls LOL

Its just odd to cancel something in the middle of the season and not greenlight all the shows then pull the plug for next season.

Do you think westernizing the space concept was a benefit or part of the demise?
I think it was brilliant. I'm not a westerns fan, but there's something very attractive about Whedon's approach with Firefly. I love it, and would have happily watched it much longer than it's single season.

J.
That's not what he asked. He asked if the approach helped it or hurt it's chances of success, not whether or not you liked it. I would argue it hurt it's chances.

I don't find it very productive to ask Firefly fans (or fans of anything) why the show (or whatever) was cancelled. To them, everything was perfect and it was all the network, exterior circumstances, etc. It's fine if people loved the show, I just don't think those are necessarily the people you want to ask about it's faults and the reasons why people didn't watch it.

Believe it or not, I know people who watched the entire series and don't like it, wouldn't watch it again. I know people who watched the first few episodes on TV and then never watched again. It wasn't because of scheduling, they knew nothing of behind the scenes politics, they simply didn't like the show, the characters, the themes, whatever. I'm one of these people, so shoot me.
__________________
-FordSVT-
FordSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 04:24 PM   #30
Mistral
Vice Admiral
 
Mistral's Avatar
 
Location: Between the candle and the flame
Re: Firefly - Joss Whedon

FordSVT wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
rramarr wrote: View Post
Man you guys are quick draw McCalls LOL

Its just odd to cancel something in the middle of the season and not greenlight all the shows then pull the plug for next season.

Do you think westernizing the space concept was a benefit or part of the demise?
I think it was brilliant. I'm not a westerns fan, but there's something very attractive about Whedon's approach with Firefly. I love it, and would have happily watched it much longer than it's single season.

J.


That's not what he asked. He asked if the approach helped it or hurt it's chances of success, not whether or not you liked it. I would argue it hurt it's chances.

I don't find it very productive to ask Firefly fans (or fans of anything) why the show (or whatever) was cancelled. To them, everything was perfect and it was all the network, exterior circumstances, etc. It's fine if people loved the show, I just don't think those are necessarily the people you want to ask about it's faults and the reasons why people didn't watch it.

Believe it or not, I know people who watched the entire series and don't like it, wouldn't watch it again. I know people who watched the first few episodes on TV and then never watched again. It wasn't because of scheduling, they knew nothing of behind the scenes politics, they simply didn't like the show, the characters, the themes, whatever. I'm one of these people, so shoot me.

Bullet coming, please stand by.
__________________
...sf fandom is only a personality disorder if you do it right.-Klaus
http://www.adastrafanfic.com - archive stories! www.4rumboys.com for honest gaming

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
firefly, joss whedon

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.