Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 300 71.94%
Above Average 59 14.15%
Average 20 4.80%
Below Average 19 4.56%
Poor 19 4.56%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 23 2009, 09:19 PM   #496
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

Re: Was the ending realistic?

No.
I loved the end, but no.

Some may have but not all.
Old March 23 2009, 09:20 PM   #497
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

Since in the mini, it was said their society deliberately downgraded it's technology to avoid how vulnerable it made them to Cylons, I think it's kind of plausible they'd be predisposed to abandoning advance technology to rid themselves of the problem once and for all. I also think it makes them kind of stupid.

They could have completely rebuilt and just outlawed slavery.
Old March 23 2009, 09:21 PM   #498
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

davidant32 wrote: View Post
Is it realistic to think that humanity would give up all their technology?
You might think not... Romo says so at the end, and Adama says "You underestimate the desire for a clean slate, Mr. Lampkin". I think he's right.

People are misunderstanding slightly too... they arent going caveman... they just arent using computers and building tech heavy structures and things like that. They have their basic supplies and can make tents and things, they have whatever medical supplies remain for emergencies... they really aren't giving up all that much, because they didn't have that much. The only tech they are giving up really is the ships themselves, and they've been trapped in those things for the last 5 years yearning to see a blue sky.

It's not as farfetched as people think.
Old March 23 2009, 09:22 PM   #499
Gregsmack
Captain

"All their technology" probably involved 30-35 dumpsters with Jump drives and dirty air, food processing machinery that barely worked, and a battlestar that was broken into 500 pieces upon reaching Earth. They had very little technology worth keeping. They also wanted a fresh start and, over four years, managed to get over the lack of creature comforts of their own lives. Clean air and grass is a godsend for these people. It may not be "realistic" (the entire series is not realistic - battlestars and cylons?) but it is definitely believable.
Old March 23 2009, 09:23 PM   #500
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

I think that people are under the impression that when they "gave up their technology" they literally burnt everything.

My opinion is that they stripped the useful stuff out of all the ships and farmed it out amongst the various communities they set up throughout the world, which would gradually run-out or break over time and be unable to be repaired.

This would ease the transaction to becoming self-reliant, and living off the land.
Old March 23 2009, 09:27 PM   #501
Zod
Commander

Well with 38,000+ people to keep track of some of that tech may have not been given up. I would imagine that not all of them would totally accept it but it would matter not. Enough of it was given up that they would lose the ability to make new stuff. Eventually all tech would have been lost to time. 150,000 years is a long time.

Certainly there were raptors, we know of at least one around near the end- the one Adama flew off in. Even if it sat in a protected place in 150,000 years there would be nothing left of it.

I don't think it too hard a stretch for them to accept the loss of technology. We haven't been through what they had. Their entire society destroyed, and by technology they created. So in the end at the place where they could conceivably go no further I can accept their choice, though if it were me personally I would not be all that happy with it. But since I did not live through what they lived through I can't say that my choice would be different otherwise.
Old March 23 2009, 09:27 PM   #502
anti-matter
Rear Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica Series Finale: "Daybreak, Part II"

What an excellent unpredictable ending to this once in a lifetime series.

They say the Lord works in mysterious ways and Baltar's story sure proved it. As smarmy as Baltar was I knew he had to be special cause those head visions always gave him good advice.

But for Dr Baltar to be the one to bring about the destruction of a polytheistic system... wander the desert of space for 4 years and with his speech in the TOC to Cavil and tptb in the fleet about a single God like entity controlling events...

...Baltar becomes the center of gravity in creating a monotheist society.

Baltar's like a Noah or Moses.

All through ancient history God picked some very strange people to do his bidding...we may have judged them to be unworthy but in the end they prevailed.

The 2 hour ending was absolutely incredible. Last week I was melancholy over the fast approaching end of the series and couldn't not post my thoughts...now my denial's over.

Thank you RDM...you have given us a masterpiece.
Old March 23 2009, 09:31 PM   #503
cbspock
Rear Admiral

I guess you could see BSG as Noah's Ark.

-Chris
Old March 23 2009, 09:42 PM   #504
Koinek
Vice Admiral

davidant32 wrote: View Post
Is it realistic to think that humanity would give up all their technology?
I think the word(s) you're looking for is plausible (in the context) and my answer is: absolutely not. Just another sloppy plot choice from a finale filled with them.
Old March 23 2009, 09:42 PM   #505
trevanian
Rear Admiral

cbspock wrote: View Post
I guess you could see BSG as Noah's Ark.

-Chris
Considering Larson's original title for BSG was ADAM'S ARK, that is actually more than just funny.
Old March 23 2009, 09:50 PM   #506
Raz
Rear Admiral

I think it might have been plausible given slightly different reasoning than "oh lets just make a fresh start of it".

Using the reasoning given it was stretching it a little imo. You wouldn't think that 38,000 odd people would all be in complete and utter agreement to discard so much technology that, 150000 years later, we have not found a single trace of it.
Old March 23 2009, 10:23 PM   #507
boozebum
Ensign

No, It wasn't realistic at all.

Ron Moore fanboys keep using "Duh, all their technology was falling apart" as an excuse. They fail to realize even with the basic machine tools they had, they would have easily been able to setup a primitive industrial society. With those primitive tools, they would have been able to make more refined tools, and so on. Instead of 150,000 years, it could have been a few hundred years of development. All their knowledge of the mistakes of the past could have been remembered. The "cycle" could have truly been broken.

Instead they descended into neo-ludditism, which basically guaranteed that most of them would die from disease and starvation. How anybody believes giving up pretty much all your knowledge and history* is "making a clean break" is beyond me. It's running away from your past and dooming thousands of people to death.

* You would think that their history is something would probably want to remember, so that they don't make the same mistakes again, but then again this ending was monumentally retarded.
Old March 23 2009, 10:25 PM   #508
boozebum
Ensign

Raz wrote: View Post
I think it might have been plausible given slightly different reasoning than "oh lets just make a fresh start of it".

Using the reasoning given it was stretching it a little imo. You wouldn't think that 38,000 odd people would all be in complete and utter agreement to discard so much technology that, 150000 years later, we have not found a single trace of it.
This is another point I forgot to bring up. And since they all spoke one language (English I presume?) surely all the languages on earth descended form one language? It's funny because that isn't what historians and linguists say. What a contrived ending.
Old March 23 2009, 10:27 PM   #509
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

I dont think they spoke English at all. Nor was Galactica written in English...but it was used to make the story workable and accessible to viewers.
Old March 23 2009, 10:29 PM   #510
Gregsmack
Captain

boozebum wrote: View Post
No, It wasn't realistic at all.

Ron Moore fanboys keep using "Duh, all their technology was falling apart" as an excuse. They fail to realize even with the basic machine tools they had, they would have easily been able to setup a primitive industrial society. With those primitive tools, they would have been able to make more refined tools, and so on. Instead of 150,000 years, it could have been a few hundred years of development. All their knowledge of the mistakes of the past could have been remembered. The "cycle" could have truly been broken.

Instead they descended into neo-ludditism, which basically guaranteed that most of them would die from disease and starvation. How anybody believes giving up pretty much all your knowledge and history* is "making a clean break" is beyond me. It's running away from your past and dooming thousands of people to death.

* You would think that their history is something would probably want to remember, so that they don't make the same mistakes again, but then again this ending was monumentally retarded.
And all the people who completely missed the point of the story fail to realize that Lee and the Colonials decided that rebuilding a new society exactly like the one they just lost would defeat the point of beginning with a clean slate. Whether or not they caught diseases after the screen faded to black is irrelevant. What's important is that they decided for a change. If you've watched the series at all, the pre-Cylon New Caprica disaster illustrates their struggles in building a new society from scratch pretty well.

It's also blatantly stated by Lee during his bit about human technology moving faster than the human ability to control it. Just because you personally take issue with humans giving up technology after the apocalypse doesn't mean it is "monumentally retarded"